Nakharar Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 Is it a giant sundial perhaps? Or a calendar? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 Calendar is more like it, I think. Stone arrangements such as these (what are they called?????????) mark the solstices and equinoxes and a few other things. Like I said, there is a better-known and more popular example, draws many tourists every year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nakharar Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 The menhirs in Stonhenge look pretty impressive. Those people must have been crazy. These stones probably weigh more than 10 tonnes. How they lifted these up is beyond credulity. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 You're on track again, Nakharar. This is not THE Stonehenge, but it is a stone henge regardless. (I had been wondering how to drop in the name of Karahunj here. ) It is more spread-out and the town built into its midst has given the henge its name. Those trenches you see there might have been a couple of metres deeper in the past - dug out with little more than stag horns! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Accelerated Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 Allow me to clarify that I didn't find it funny - was more thinking along the lines of kicking myself. At least it might have struck me that it was a memorial versus chest thumping for the Indian Ocean or something. Understood. Should read the book anyway, its a testament to the horror the human mind can endure. The men (both sides) that fought at Stalingrad are the true heroes and that statue is a fitting tribute to their courage. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 How come this thread has repeat players only? <_< Are we bunch the only who know interesting places/things? Everyone can/should! Come on! Take your hands out! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 Bored with that one, are ya?  That village is Avebury. Avoid the Red Lion Pub if you go thereabouts: http://www.simplydave.co.uk  Got panorama? http://www.henge.org.uk/wiltshire/aveburyswpano.html OK. What hall is this? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 28, 2004 Author Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 this looks like a great place to pick up chicks  Is this a Library? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 28, 2004 Author Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 I love this city and all the works by this architect Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 This is all getting too difficult for me. Can you believe that someone living on the street I posted wouldn't even recognize that street? Anyway, speaking of libaries, here's another one: http://www.xs4all.nl/~nairi/pic1.jpg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 this looks like a great place to pick up chicks  Is this a Library? You've seen it in a movie (or two, or three) - with candles in the air and all...  I don't know what that city is. Clues? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 Nairi, that looks more like a museum than a library (ropes and all) and more like a painting than a photo (to my eyes, anyway)... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 Just because the books are not open for public doesn't mean it's not a library But you're on the right track. It is a museum now. But what and where? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 (edited) I love this city and all the works by this architect Ooooh ooh I know! I know! Azatyush you just know how to lure me in. It is also my favorite city (so far) and my favorite architect with a twisted mind. Â BTW: Awesome thread guys! Edited July 28, 2004 by anileve Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 28, 2004 Report Share Posted July 28, 2004 Hello Evelina. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 29, 2004 Author Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Stormes, is it possible that is the Oxford Library? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 29, 2004 Author Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Ooooh ooh I know! I know! Azatyush you just know how to lure me in. It is also my favorite city (so far) and my favorite architect with a twisted mind. Â BTW: Awesome thread guys! Eve, you would not by any chance have any pictures of this city/country would you? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ED Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Azat, Barcelona Spain, ( I forgot the artists name ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Azat, Barcelona Spain, ( I forgot the artists name ) Antonio Gaudi - see more HERE Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 BTW, I *LOVE* Barclona... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Hello Evelina. Hi Fadyush! I gotta say... the your avatar of the dog is cruel. Thank llama Sasun has a sense of humor.  Eve, you would not by any chance have any pictures of this city/country would you? Azatik, as a matter of fact I do. Actually it’s a picture of the country but not the same city. And what could be better than a picture of a library. Can you guess where? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 (edited) Hi Fadyush! I gotta say... the your avatar of the dog is cruel. Thank llama Sasun has a sense of humor. After erasing my sig yesterday, today I edit my profile just for you. Edited July 29, 2004 by Fadix Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Azat, Barcelona Spain, ( I forgot the artists name ) Shame on you Edward! How can one forget the architect that was so brilliant due to his vibrant hallucinations. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Can you guess where? I've been there Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 Azatik, as a matter of fact I do. Actually it’s a picture of the country but not the same city. And what could be better than a picture of a library. Can you guess where? After erasing my sig yesterday, today I edit my profile just for you. I am moved by such chivalrous gestures, thank you oh noble sir. Hopefully Sasun is moved as well. So what do you think about the library? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.