Jump to content

THOTH

Banned
  • Posts

    3,609
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by THOTH

  1. THOTH

    Did Somebody Say Beer?

    Checked out the list - they are "summer" beers - so perhaps not an all inclusive...and who knows really the criteria/scope etc. I did notice a few things - the #3 is from Victory...a Wiess beer (seems like this ranking is dominated by such) - they are quite light and distinctive...some folks don't at all like this type of beer - i am into them if in the mood - though not my fav...but Victory is just a top brewer in general - Hop Devil is just awesome stuff... The Lagunitus Maximus is great stuff - perhaps should have been on my initial list... I notice a Dominion on there as well - summer wheat (its OK I guess...doewsn't overly thrill me) Stoudts (on the list) ussually makes pretty good stuff... Most of these are real micro-brews and unlikely to be available to everyone (even here in the States). I'm sure that they are all pretty good/great quality though - and probalby worth seeking out (if you are into the wheat beers...)
  2. THOTH

    Did Somebody Say Beer?

    Of late (last 5 - 8 years or so...) I have very much been into IPA and similar "hoppy" beers...though I love many different types. So I would say that (righ now) my favorites are: Victory Hop Devil Stone Ruination Ale Stone Arrogant bastard Ale (OK not an IPA - but damn good stuff) Dominion Hop Pocket Ale Dominion Hop Pocket Pils Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Stone IPA Also very much like Pilsner Urquell, Bass Ale, Guiness, Stone Smoked Porter, Negra Modello, Bohemia, Becks lager, Celebrator Doublebock...etc etc (this list could go on for pages I think...LOL) Oh and Efes Pilsen (Turkish) ain't all bad either...pretty decent styuff for a refreshing quaff...never had Kotayk yet (and I must give it a try)...
  3. THOTH

    Hamshentsa

    So true (though not universaly - because many have forgotten that they might be something other then just a Turk)... But my experience from several visits to Turkey is that Kurds in particular are often very interested in informing you that they are in fact Kurdish and not a Turk (particualry after me telling them I was Armenian - but otherwise as well). Other groups - who are perhaps more isolated and of smaller number may just be more fearful of being singled out (just my opinion). In some cases where I probed a bit folks admited to some non-Turkish ethnicity - in other cases you could tell that they didn't want to go there (particualry if I suggested that they might be Greek). The Hemshin I met recently were very proud of their being such and also expressed a favorable opinion of Armenians - though weren't so sure of the connection. They were also very proud to be "Turks" and proud of their country. We talked quite a bit about differences in social structure, friendliness of people etc between Europe/US (one Hemshin lady was married to a German and lived in Germany). At one point I told them that friendly people eisited in the States as well - was not limited to Turkey - and that they shouldn't believe everything they see on TV or in the movies regarding life in the US... Also - on a number of occasions - upon learning that I was Armenian - various locals would talk in great detail about Armenains or Greeks who still lived in various places. For instance one individual from Capadocia - who did business in Keyseri - informed me that he knew numourous Armenians there.
  4. THOTH

    Start Rowing

    File under the heading of "Sad but true" eh? LOL
  5. Harut please try to read my post over again. i was refering to folks who are setting standards for other people - not for themselves.
  6. Just like me - eh Azat? Now he is thinking - is it the dumb ass comment or the assimilated who embraces his Armeniansim comment that he is agreeing with...well probably both - eh? I understand your other points as well - but its funny - at the local Armenian Church (I'd say mine...but I pretty much don't go to church...except of course for socual funtions & such...you understand)...but at this church the attitude is totally different (it seems to me)...they have many non-Armenians who are church members and who are very involved inchurch sposored activities. they call them ABCs - Armenians By Choice. Many/most of these are totally non -Armenian - ie no Armenian spouse or such. Pretty cool - eh?
  7. Awesome - very funny. And yes Azat - it is the reality of this (not so far offf at all from the truth) - which is so very sad...and in general - the way women are marginalized in so many societies and in so many ways...its just criminal IMO.
  8. Yes justme - exactly...pretty much...
  9. The bottom line - and you all should think about this - is that it is OK for each of us to decide for ourselves - what we value - want - etc...but that when it comes to other people and what they want - and their personl relationships - we should basically mind our own business. WHo are you to judge another person - who they love and what they choose to do. You are an outsider who does not know all of the facts...so butt out! And quit being so judgemental...because you don't like it (I'm sure) when others are judgemental about you (for whatever reason)... And yeah - automatically saying no - dan't date a Black person or a Mexican etc - yeah - thats racist. We need to judge people as individuals. And while I have sympathy to the idea of maintianing Armenians identity (even if I am pretty much a fully assimilated person...in my own way of course)...I just think we are swimming against the tide. (though i think that there will always be some who maintain their ethnic identity...alwasy a matter of degree...). And in fact - there is much (positive) to be said for (particualrly) the American values where ethnicity (and other differences) don't/doesn't automatically bring one to blows or such...think about it...
  10. THOTH

    Armenians Today

    A-H - just fooling around...don't worry about me stereotyping - I have/have had gay (and possibly?) bi friends remember? No big deal - I know that there are all types. And I understand that many atheletes (male & female) go both ways as it were...again where is the news there eh? I think your the one who needs to chill a bit. You are way too serious for your own good I think - and quick to bristle about nearly everything. Besides you are a great target (and I think invite it - conciously or not)...
  11. THOTH

    Armenians Today

    LOL (so true i can imagine)...careful now though - you'll have hagarag wishing he were a gal (if he doesn't already wish so...)
  12. THOTH

    Armenians Today

    Thanks nairi - (and yeah - I agree - sort of - rule yes [as it should be] - but not conquer per se!) And no reason why not (if you feel that it might be fun)...an early g/f of mine (long long time ago)...was into chicks...and we (particualrly she) had much fun with it! Gals are great!
  13. Normally not - but thats the point - you need to follow these things...but you'll learn (maybe) that there is also a lot of gaming that goes on with these type of calls (by the NFL coaches I mean)...
  14. THOTH

    Armenians Today

    A-H - thats total BS - and I'm surprised at you (of all people) that you would generalize or attempt to peg a person so. I'm not a lesbian and I agree with Nairi 100% (and please man - can't you understand a joke...)
  15. THOTH

    Armenians Today

    Nairi - LOL - yes of course...(very nicely said BTW) Seriously - I fail to see what the problem is with s e x ...just in general (of course underage and being responsible and such are all serious issues...) - but this concepts of adults repressing sexual fun (even just looking...and being aroused etc)...I just don't get it...I mean really now - next they will be trying to ban music & dancing again and all that sort of stuff... And I've been to many nude beaches in my time - and been nude at them and elsewhere (in public/out of doors etc) - and I don't think its such a big deal - in fact it is very liberating...and if you understand what naturists/nudists are all about (and I know because I have a militant one working for me) - it is exactly the opposite of this idea of being nude automatically means sex and such - in fact there are whole nudist families (and mine has occasionally been none to indulge in such)...no big deal. The point is not to focus on clothes (that accentuate sexual characteristics or reveal class distinctions etc) & the body etc (because most bodies aren't really that terribly exciting in a strict sense...) - so in fact the focus is off of bodies and such. (I know that it is a difficult [i didn't use hard here for a reason - LOL] concept to convey - but believe me its true. Now I also understand that the nudist thing is very different then people who dress revealingly or to accentuate sexual characterisitcs...but again - I see nothing at all wrong with this...though for younger gals (or guys for that matter) - such as described - well - I agree that it may be sending the wrong message - and some parents just don't seem to get it. There is an appropriate maturity level for sexual things - and while it may be somewhat a sliding scale - I don't think 14/15 and under - or such - is quite there yet. Geesh - let children be children for as long as possible - really - those of us who are older often look back on the bliss of our childhood years and wish they had more of them (and I know one day I will look back as well - once mine are over of course! LOL)
  16. THOTH

    Armenians Today

    your not talking specifically of lists here are you...and you say your opinion purely from speculation? BTW - (hey there good looking...LOL) you owe me a PM...LOL
  17. THOTH

    Hamshentsa

    Funny - I recently (last month) met some Hamshen. (and I guessed that they were as soon as they had said that they were from Rize [East of Trabzon along the Black Sea)...and of course by their looks - decidedly Armenian - no question (and I was not the only one to think this...). They responded well/positively when I/we told them that I/we was/were Armenian - but then when I told them that they were Armenian to they answered - Ya think? We discussed it for a bit - and they seemed familiar with the concept that they might be Armenians - but didn't seem to have an opinion (or information or belief) one way or another. On a similar note - I was recently told this joke concerning Hamshen - lets see if I can reproduce it here - This Hamshen goes up to another Hamshe and asks (in Armenian) - Are you Armenian? The other Hamshen replies (in Armenian) - no I am not. Thats it really (but I think it does very well make the point...)
  18. No - not now! LOL. I admit I would never have picked him as first pick - I had too many concerns regarding him comming back from injury. And wideouts are a dime a dozen (and very streaky anyway...) - I'm sure I'll pick a few up who will perform at some point in the season. But go ahead - offer me a trade if you wish (I can alwasy say no...)
  19. THOTH

    Armenians Today

    For a (funny and) insightful/interesting take on Turks being Europeans (or not) etc - I recommend checking out the book : "A Fez of the Heart" - well worth it if one has any interest at all in the modernity (or not) of the Turks. One thing to also remember is that there is often a big difference among Turks - urban - rural - and regional differences...there is a great mix of attitudes/values and such from very old world (and thats not neceissarilly bad) - to as "modern" (in outlook/life etc) as any of us (and I daresay more so then many of us - LOL)
  20. Why thank you Bruin...unfourtunatly many people haven't learned the lesson to enjoy life & have fun (and to let things go...)...and yeah - it can be effort - there are always things to bring one down...but if you let that rule the day - what do you have left..? and "funny & crazy" - of course thats a good thing! Don't ever change!
  21. Yeah i noticed...but couldn't have done much worse...I don't think this is going to be my fantasy year...what can I say (my team in my other league...that I even picked...sucks worse - it was a tough draft - and I didn't do my best job...too many distractions this year...argh)
  22. regardless... I had such high hopes for an all Armenian final - what a PR boon that could have been (and great for the guys too! - and I am a big/long time Agassi fan...) - I don't even think the networks could have ignored it... Way too bad it didn't work out (and besides Ferrara really sucked in the final...shame...)
  23. Wow! You learned Armenian! thats something - so obviously you really love this guy and are serious (hope the reverse is also true). And obviously if you two have such a love/comitment to each other you shouldn't care what others think - its their problem and they will just have to learn to accept you (you sound like a nice gal - so shouldn't be too difficult)...if not - well its their problem - and I hope Allen relizes this - and alos is able to live for himslef and not just to please his parents & such. Anyway - i think they will come around...it just may take some time. Hope it works out for you (two)...
  24. Thats the spirit! And yeah - I would say I too am pretty much no/little different on line versus off...perhaps a rarity - don't know...but perhaps in the presence of your radiance I would become like Bashful or Dopey ...who knows - maybe even sneezy (depends on your perfume...) - LOL...but certainly Happy I imagine...and doubtful i would be Grumpy! (so whose left?)
×
×
  • Create New...