Jump to content

Em

Members
  • Posts

    1,359
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Em

  1. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    Prevailing thought of the day..... I have a lot to be thankful for. Namely, L.A. weather! ~~ What if they already had the technology to predict exactly when an earthquake was going to hit? Of course they would not divulge this type of information. Instead, they would bring the possibility of "a great earthquake hitting So Cal" into the forefront. Constantly reminding us to be prepared. Have a plan of action ready... pack necessary items. They wouldn't tell the public in fear of mass hysteria, all hell breaking loose. They wouldn't tell us.... Scary, right?
  2. Isk yete lacumenq, ekeq lacenq..... Silva's song Vardan's cover
  3. Movses lavner bayc shat huzetsutsic. Porcumes boloris lacacnes? Inchu?
  4. I would tend to disagree with the 95% of the respondents and state that psychological violence can be most damaging. Broken bones heal, bruises fade- assuming that one survives the beatings. But it is the emotional damage that debilitates. That plants seeds in the future generations. In the lessons that the male ad femae children are taught. To dominate and become subservient respectively. Not to mention the learned helplessness which entraps the wife. If physical abuse is covered up, then in the following types of families, "psychological violence" must be a joke. “Strong family bonds are an integral aspect of Armenian culture and women who report violence are seen as threatening the family and are pressured to keep domestic violence a private ‘family matter’. Women who try to report violence in the family often experience social isolation, as friends, relatives and neighbors reject them,” says the report. “Even when a woman does report rape to the police, she faces ingrained attitudes that she is to blame.”
  5. Aylevs @ntrumem mardkanc sirel hervic...vor animastoren chnvirvem. Vor chviravorvem, vor chviravorem. Vor marrdiq mnan idyalakan, qante sharunakabar hiastapetsnogh.....
  6. I am a fan as well. ՆԱՐԵԿ ԲԱՎԵՅԱՆ Փախուստ կանանց ՙբանտից՚ Նրա ՙՎերջին անգամը՚ դարձավ սերենադ սիրահարվածների համար: Նրա աչքերը դարձան այցեքարտ շոու բիզնեսում կայուն դիրք գրավելու համար... Բայց նրա գլխավոր առանձնահատկությունը գեղեցիկ ձայնն է և... արդեն բավական տպավորիչ խաղը: : ՙՓախուստ՚ ֆիլմում իմ մարմնավորած հերոսը` Արթուրը, սովորական տղա է, ով լրիվ պատահական է հայտնվում բանտում և չի էլ հավակնում այնտեղի օրենքներով ապրել: Իսկ լավ տղան դա Արթուրի ընկերն է, որի նվիրվածությունն ու անձնազոհությունը չափազանց է իրական կյանքի համար: Այդպիսի ընկերներ գրեթե չեն լինում... Բայց իմ կերպարն էլ է ինձ շատ հարազատ. ես միանգամից համաձայնեցի ստանձնել այդ դերը…Բժշկուհու համազգեստը ինձ շատ է գրավում: Իմ կարծիքով այն գեղեցկացնում է կնոջը. այդ հագուստով կինը դառնում է խորհրդավոր, կանացի…Ցանկացած միջավայր կարող է իր ազդեցությունն ունենալ, եթե մարդը հոգեպես ուժեղ և կայուն անհատականություն չէ: Եվ դրա համար էլ նախ պիտի կարողանաս ինքդ քեզ համար բացահայտել դիմացինիդ էությունը: Ճիշտն ասաց` հեշտ չեմ ընկերանում և սկզբնական շփման մեջ սառն եմ: Դա երևի նրանից է, որ ես արդեն ունեմ լավ ընկերներ ու նորերին չեմ փնտրում: Բայց, ամեն դեպքում, ձևականություն չեմ սիրում: Երբ ծանոթանալիս տպավորություն ստեղծելու համար փորձում են ավելորդ բաներ անել` դա ես միանգամից զգում եմ: Սիրում եմ անմիջական, անկեղծ մարդկանց: http://www.el.am/tpl/images/narek_b.jpg http://www.el.am/tpl/images/PDF_icon.jpg բեռնավորել հարցազրույցը` Քրիստինե Սարգսյանի (El Style Magazine; www.el.am)
  7. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    Ashot, the links to the articles will have to wait until tomorrow, but I will answer your question to me today. I don't love my child CONDITIONALLY. I love her and will love her regardless of her differeing choices, ideals,and beliefs. So if my child comes to me at 26 and tells me that she is gay, I will not love her any less. I may not be ecstatic about it- because I know how cruel and hurtful others may be toward her- but I will not shun her from my life. I will try to HELP her. Not hurt her. ( If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem). I cannot imagine adding on to my daughter's worries because of my selfish stupidity. Having said that, I will add that my daughter was born straight. At almost four years old, that is very evident. So if she ever decides to go that way, it will be a lifestyle choice. But it is still her choice to make. The disconnect between your mentality and mine is that it is HER decision to make. It is her body, her sexulaity, her CHOICE. I will be a strict parent at 16. But at 26, I don't really think her sexuality is something for me to be involved in. As long as she is a kid person and beneficial to humanity, I will not fret the small stuff. (Does that shock you? Worry you? If so, WHY?)
  8. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    Homosexuality cannot be found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders; Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) of the American Psychiatric Association. That is because the APA does not consider it a psycopathology- it is not a mental disorder (illness). Prior to the removal of homosexuality as a diagnosable pathology, homosexulaity was viewed in the following two catergories: Ego-dystonic meaning homosexuality that is distressing or unwanted by the client, or Ego-syntonic, which was classified as the client being comfortable with his/her (homo) sexuality (normal, inherent, etc.). And I'd like to point out, the percentages of "cured" homosexuals by psychiatry refers to individuals who were probably not gay to begin with. For example, a child who was molested by his churche's priest and is therefore confused as to whether that has turned him gay will most certainly need psychological counseling. And will hopefuly benefit from the counseling and be cured of his misplaced fears. Don't fall into the trap of false studies.
  9. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    Conspiracy theory floating around regarding the overwhelming support of Mormons for Prop 8 is that Mitt Romney (Republican from Massachusetts) who ran in primaries against McCain and lost, is interested in running again in 2012. A lot of people from both parties believe that he would have been a tougher candidate and possibly have taken office. BUT the Evangelican right wing fanatics stopped him in his tracks. So he rallied his Mormon base and delivered Prop 8 to appease the Evangelicans and prove to them that they were just as anti-abortion and anti-gays as the Catholics and Evangelicans. SO the theory is that since they did deliver Prop and banned gay marriage in CA, Romney will have the support and votes of the right wing fanatics in 2012. Not so far fetched, right? In any case, I told my cousin (who is like the brother I do not have) that he should move to Utah ASAP. I told him that if he truly worries about his children being exposed to "the gays" and the fact that he is so filled with hate toward them, that he is better off leaving now. For, no matter how much he rants and complains, he and his children have to co-exist in this city/state with a lot of gay individuals. And he runs the risk of his kids witnessing two men kissing or two women living together, and some of his kid's schoolmates may have been adopted by a gay couple, and the designer clothes, clubs, and cuisine he enjoys have most certainly been conjured up by a very talented gay person, or that the person who donated the blood which may someday be used to sustain his own supply may have been donated by a gay person ( who knows?). By God, does he not realize that these people will and do touch almost all aspects of his life? It must be the end of the world. The gays have come to pervert our children! What do we do now? Of course, he does not appreciate my sarcasm or my passion for equality and respect for all people. But he cannot ignore that no matter how many obstacles are put in their way; what rights are denied to them, these people are not going to cease to exist. They are born this way, and they have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness which was granted to his naturalized ass as well! (No pun intended Arpa ) I just wish that people could put aside their fears and use some intelligence and compassion when dealing with people who are different than them. That is a lesson to teach our kids. That is the kind of father I wish fo rmy cousin to become. Not the type that would beat his son if the son brought over a gay friend for dinner in hopes of "educating" his father in order to dissuade ignorance and intolerance. Maybe I am asking for too much?
  10. Happy Birthday Ani! I had a coversation with God and s/he said that the following year was going to be a great one. S/he said that you should stop worrying so much and live in every moment. S/he said that you are an amazing mother, wife, friend and daughter in law. S/he said you are spreading yourself too thin so s/he is going to try and lighten your burden. S/he aslo said that you lighten others burdens and have even saved a life. To keep it short, you have already reached sainthood in his/her eyes. So youcan kick bakc and enjoy 27! I hope you have more reason to laugh than cry in the following year. I hope life is as kind to you as you are to others. Olive juice. (I hope I always remain your partner-in-crime.)
  11. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    I agree that there are more important issues to wory about; to work on. And the millions of dollars that the Mormon church wasted in backing Prop. 8 could have gone to those worthier causes. It's so hypocritical for a religious group that supposedly stands for "family values" to deny others the right to build families. And the one thing that made me feel "sick" in this whole campaign was the young children they were using to push their agenda. Children 4, 5 years old standing on the corners of streets holding inappropriately worded signs. I think brainwashing children is sick. I used to think religion was doing more good than harm in the world. Now I am beginning to understand the opposite is true.
  12. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    I don't think that this matter of banning gay marriage is over yet. They have already begun filing lawsuits. And don't forget that we picked a very liberal President. He is all for equality for all. He even gave a shout out to gay individuals in his speech on Tuesday night. He will be the one appointing new Supreme Court judge(s)during his tenure. The gay community may have their rights to marriage reinstated after all- as they should. (At least in CA.)
  13. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    I find myself in exactly the opposite position. When CA voted on this back in 2000, I was a Senior in high school. We (the student body) organized for the proponents to come to our high school and speak at an assembly on the why it was important to "preserve" marriage. I was so anti-gay at that time in my short life. I am not proud of that. We were so glad it was not passed so our churches could remain safe from the "scary gays". Eighte years later, I have drastically changed my stance on certain views. I voted No on 8. I have been hated on from the overwhelming majority of my family and friends for a long time now for my support of "the gays". I understand your position. And I respect and appreciate that time changes us and really makes us look at matters from a different prespective. ~ Today I am proud to be an American citizen.
  14. Em

    Impressions Of The Day

    I LOVED the "Yes We Can" !
  15. And it came with such force that it turned your red state blue.
  16. I tried to vote around 8 a.m. but had to leave the line without voting to go to work. The line was not about halfway down the street, but for forty minutes it felt like it was not moving. I went back after noon and it took me only about 5-7 minutes to vote. And the another ten to help out the couple. I am pretty sure that you can only opt to vote for the President, and/or the positions/ props of your choosing. Yup. Very touching. Did you guys watch/hear Obama's speech? He has a way with words; he is very inspiring. I loved the "YES WE CAN" repetition from the supporters. I am just ecstatic. Today was a good day. I hope it is a indication of things to come.
  17. I have to mention this. I made a second attempt to vote and was succesful. While there, I was approached by an elderly Armenian couple (83 and 72 yrs old ). They had not voted since the Clinton elections, so they had forgotten exactly which building their voting location was in. They had walked about 10+ blocks to vote for the "Savakan". I helped translate for them, and filled out their pink provisional ballot form. I had to step aside so that they could punch in their choice for Obama (they did not care to vote on the Props). Afterward, they thanked me and did not accept a ride back home. The part that inspired this post is the statement the man made before we left the building. He told me that he wanted to make sure to come out and vote for the last time since he did not believe he would be alive for the next election. He said it was important that the "Sevakan" take office. The experince was bitter sweet. I hope he has a long healthy life so he can vote in at least two more elections.
  18. Gamblers are putting thier money on Obama. Sweet! More Reliable Than Exit Polls: Bookies
  19. Wow! The voter turnout is AMAZING! Yervant, it has felt like forever. Good riddance to Bush & Co.! ~ Obama '08
  20. Armenian genocide becomes issue in Adam Schiff race8:09 AM, October 31, 2008http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/24/armenians.jpg Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) has gained national attention for his efforts to have official recognition for the Armenian genocide. And that has made him a beloved figure in his district's large Armenian American community. But the Pasadena Star-News reports that his stand has also helped his election opponent: In recent weeks, Republican challenger Charles Hahn picked up thousands of dollars at a fundraiser thrown by a Turkish-American businessman who runs a Web site denying the World War I-era Armenian genocide took place. "I want to bring all sides of the issue to the party: Armenians, Turkish-Americans, the Turkish and Armenian governments," said Hahn. "We need to all work together in solving the problem." The fundraiser was put together by Ergun Kirlikovali, an Orange County businessman who runs several Web sites, including "www.falsegenocide.com." The ideology represents a sharp contrast to bills sponsored by Schiff. Over the past two years, Schiff has sponsored legislation that would put the U.S. government on record as officially recognizing that the genocide took place. More on the effort for recognition of the genocide here from The Times' Molly Hennessy-Fiske. --Shelby Grad
  21. Em

    Azat

    Maral jan, this post had me laughing out loud at work. Regarding deciphering your dream, I figured it out and found evidence to back up my "theory". Please check PM. Arpa, we use that phrase too. ( Vorr@t bac es qnel.) I don't know about rear ends, but I have a fear of my toes going uncovered while I am asleep. We used to have really high beds as children, and once the light was turned off our bedroom would become very dark. I used to check and recheck that there wasn't anyone/thing hiding under the bed before sleeping. I still sleep with socks on and keep my feet covered while sleeping. It is very odd, but I still have a deep psychological fear of a pair of hands grabbing at my feet while I'm asleep. Until a few years ago, I used to jump AWAY from the bed when waking up at night and leaving the bed. Weird, right?
  22. Hi, Ashot. First of all, you forgot to comment on one of them- the one I made up myself. ^^^ And I must say that you had me laughing at the first few, but then I had to scroll up and recheck that it was your post. It's funny, but the comments remind me of someone else's handwriting.
  23. Dogs don't care how many times a day you speak with your mother, sister or best friend.
  24. WHY DOGS ARE BETTER THAN MEN Dogs do not have problems expressing affection in public. Dogs miss you when you're gone. You never wonder whether your dog is good enough for you. Dogs feel guilt when they've done something wrong. Dogs don't brag about whom they have slept with. Dogs don't criticize your friends. Dogs admit when they're jealous. Dogs do not play games with you -- except fetch (and then never laugh at how you throw). Dogs are happy with any video you choose to rent, because they know the most important thing is that you're together. Dogs don't feel threatened by your intelligence. You can train a dog. Dogs are already in touch with their inner puppies. You are never suspicious of your dog's dreams. Gorgeous dogs don't know they're gorgeous. The worst social disease you can get from dogs is fleas. (OK, the *really* worst disease you can get from them is rabies, but there's a vaccine for it, and you get to kill the one that gives it to you.) Dogs understand what "no" means. Dogs don't need therapy to undo their bad socialization. Dogs don't make a practice of killing their own species. Dogs understand if some of their friends cannot come inside. Dogs think you are a culinary genius. You can house train a dog. You can force a dog to take a bath. Dogs don't correct your stories. Middle-aged dogs don't feel the need to abandon you for a younger owner. Dogs aren't threatened by a woman with short hair. Dogs aren't threatened by two women with short hair. Dogs don't mind if you do all the driving. Dogs don't step on the imaginary brake. Dogs admit it when they're lost. Dogs don't weigh down your purse with their stuff. Dogs do not care whether you shave your legs. Dogs take care of their own needs. Dogs aren't threatened if you earn more than they do. Dogs mean it when they kiss you. Dogs are nice to your relatives.
  25. Mine, too. And so is a certain song from R.E.M. "Every whisper, of every waking hour, I'm choosing my confessions..."
×
×
  • Create New...