Jump to content

Pilafhead

Members
  • Posts

    434
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Pilafhead

  1. Pilafhead

    Armenian Food

    quote:Originally posted by Kazza: Actually, I really dont see why you Southern Californians don't ever get together, it's a good idea. You mean see each other, as the Brits say, "warts & all"??? Come to town Kazza, it'll be a good excuse for all of us to actually meet each other.
  2. Pilafhead

    Armenian Food

    quote:Originally posted by MosJan: we need to get togeter on day mike i will get you some Armenian Food !!! Yes, especially since you're in Pasadena (where I work)! Ever eat at Foodland deli on Washington? It USED to be great, but for some reason it went downhill in the last five or so years. Pita Pita is also very good, but that's Lebanese not Armenian. OK, everyone go to Carousel in Glendale right now, dinner's on me!!!
  3. I agree with you, Martin. This is all very sad and worse yet, unavoidable. The written language is probably already on its death bed in the Diaspora. What will happen to the literature written in Western Armenian? Will it eventually only be accessable to a select few? Does all this really matter in the long run? I think it does, but I can easily see the contrary argument.
  4. How cool! I feel like a sack of potatoes in comparison... I'm going to teach my son the saying: A man that can dance and cook can have any woman he wants.
  5. Well, I was going to say any guy that knows how to slow rhumba is probably gay, but Martin has just disproved my theory.
  6. quote:Originally posted by ara baliozian: ...it’s because we have allowed our lunatic fringe to take over the leadership of the nation. In the diaspora, they seem to be the only ones that care. Everyone else is too busy trying to polish their BMW's or watching TV. The difficulty is making people passionate about something without letting their emotions control their thinking. Here, we want you to care about this, but please not too much as to cloud your mind.
  7. Pilafhead

    Armenian Food

    quote:Originally posted by Kazza: Go on then, noise, go eat something It was late when I typed that post, so I ended up just having a bowl of Corn Flakes. How boring...
  8. I wasn't sure if it was Venice, Italy or Venice, California! I was hoping it was in CA! BTW, if anyone is interested in taking Armenian at Pasadena or Glendale City Colleges, one of the two does NOT allow native speakers to take it, but I can't remember which (I think it's PCC). This makes a big difference! When I tried to take Armenian at CSUN, all the kids that already knew the language were VERY disruptive. I ended up dropping the class.
  9. http://mldebay.homestead.com/files/zztop.jpg
  10. Pilafhead

    Armenian Food

    --Chordag with sevangandig on it--Sweet bread with black poppy seeds. ---Chormis: Beef with spices, which is hung outside in the cold weather until it dries out. Then you slice it and fry it. Oh man, is that good stuff! We used to have problems when the weather would heat up and all the bags would spoil. Others I grew up with are: Monteel (like a won ton soup), Zigalig (almost like doughnuts), and Fahsulyah zod (green bean stew). Anyone take the day old chikufta, dip it in egg and then fry it? YUMMMMMMMMMMMM! F*CK I'm hungry now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Pilafhead

    Armenian Food

    Wow, what a list!!! quote:Originally posted by MosJan:#30 Anushabur I think this one has always kind of grossed me out. Is this the one that kind of looks like oatmeal and cumin is put on it??? Funny...when I think of this or say it, I hear it in my grandma's voice.
  12. quote:Originally posted by DoC: The link didn't work... They deleted me! Man, they're quick.
  13. Everything! If I had to narrow it down to my two all time favorites: The Beatles and The Sex Pistols. At the moment though, my favorite groups are Phish and King Crimson. Levon: Slayer rules! Reign In Blood is one of my favorite albums of all time. They attract a scary crowd though! Although I haven't seen them live in over a dozen years.
  14. Here's a site trying to bring science and creationism in line with one another: http://www.creationscience.com/ And here's a long discussion on this topic that I somewhat participated in (early on in the listings): http://www.casact.org/students/forums/nonc...TML/000871.html [ March 26, 2001: Message edited by: Aghmug ]
  15. Pilafhead

    Armenian Food

    Thanks! Well, I've still got grandma cooking for me from time to time. She learned from her mother who came from Dikranagert. So I'm still kind of close to the source!
  16. quote:Originally posted by ara baliozian: try me! Kich hamov es--kich men al agh yev garak
  17. OK, everyone check me out!!! Avroog Ramigian http://www.armeniansconnect.com/profile.as...?userid=HyeDude
  18. I got to see the painting American Gothic in person last weekend. Amazing to be inches away from a painting I've known so well all my life. Not by ANY means my favorite, but just very familiar.
  19. quote:Originally posted by Sulamita: ...people I know don't like sad movies. Hear, hear! Why do people want to leave the theatre feeling worse than when they walked in??? BTW, every movie I watch doesn't have to have a happy ending, though.
  20. quote:Originally posted by edg: If I was not born Armenian then my second choice would be Italian. Preferrably from the southern part of Italy. You can have mine! Although they're the Northern sort (Venice & Genoa) -- light hair, green eyes. Not an Al Pacino in the lot!
  21. Pilafhead

    Armenian Food

    I thought the same about basturma until someone here pointed out to me it is quite common. The strongest example is how similar the name sounds to Pastrami--that kind of blew me away (alright so I'm easily amused ). What about Lahmejune? Chi kufta? Seeni kufta? No one seems to claim those. Anyone familiar with Keebah? It's meat, bulghur and mint. Formed into meatballs and boiled. Yum, yum. One of my faves. It may be a Dikranagertsi dish which means any of 4-5 cultures may have created it. Dammit, now I'm starving! Mike P.S. WAIT HERE'S TWO: KOTAYK AND CILIKIA!!! Well...for some of us beer is one of the major food groups...
  22. Ara, I thought you meant to post it here. Was it a "blunder" or intentional? If intentional, why? I don't mean this in a rude way, but...What would you ever do if you were accepted by fellow Armenians??? Kind of like an abused woman, who cannot accept the advances of a nice man because she is only comfortable in an abusive situation.
  23. Pilafhead

    Three in one go

    quote:Originally posted by Kazza: 1) In L.A, do you ever hear people on the street babbling on in Arenian? I would love to hear that. All the time!!! My mom was just saying to me the other day that she can no longer speak it to my grandmother in stores because everyone knows it! Growing up, they constantly spoke Armenian in public because they could carry on a private conversation in public. quote:Originally posted by Kazza: 2) Stand up all those.. Who think eminem is Armenian? F*** that, Kazzajan! I hope that clown isn't Armenian. I don't get his popularity anyway. To paraphrase Public Enemy, I don't believe the hype!
  24. Alice Egoyan I am a twenty-five year old Armenian/Italian freelance artist and writer from Central California. Themes in my artwork deal primarily with mysticism, dreams, sexuality, ancient cultures, psychology and spiritual transformation. My art has graced the pages of publications such as Moonshade, Deadly Nightshade, and Carpe Noctem, won first, second, third place and honourable mentions at local competitions, and was selected for a special showing at the local art museum. Three pieces are on display at the Museu de l'Erotica in Barcelona, Spain. I also do artwork for various projects, such as CD covers and flyers. I also do the artwork and design for my other website, Hippo Heaven. Hippopotami are my greatest love in life and I founded a growing organization for people working towards hippo conservation through involvement with zoos, wildlife preservation groups, and other related associations. My main inspirations, besides the hippopotamus, are studies of ancient cultures, interesting people, the spiritual quest, dreams and the mysteries of the subconscious. My work is a mixture of observation, dream study, and psychological analysis. It is also a study of lines and ornamentation- illustrative of certain emotions by their structure and colour, and filled with shapes inspired by nature. I strive for a balance of light and dark elements, with a dramatic contrast of vivid colours and black spaces. My aim is to form stream-of-consciousness works which possess the quality of dreams in that they are multilayered, in bold, unexpected ways, where people and everyday objects merge to reveal vital memories and define inner worlds. http://www.thedreamingeye.com/ [ March 20, 2001: Message edited by: Aghmug ]
  25. Pilafhead

    Armenian Youth

    quote:Originally posted by Des: Many people here seem to have a misunderstanding of Latinos, as if gang culture is part of their tradition. No, it is not. In Mexico itself you cannot find any cholos or anything remotely resembling them. It is a part of their tradition, but you're right, in America, not in Mexico.
×
×
  • Create New...