Anoushik Posted December 19, 2003 Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 I just wanted to express my happiness for becoming a citizen of the U.S. Despite its defects the United States is the best country in the world and the more I think about it the prouder I feel at having finally become a U.S. citizen. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sev-mard Posted December 19, 2003 Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 You weren't at the LA convention center were you? I work right down there, I passed by today and saw all the signs and people. Congrats! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted December 19, 2003 Author Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 (edited) Yes, it was in the Convention Center! Thank you Sev-mard. Edited December 19, 2003 by anoushik Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted December 19, 2003 Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 congratulations. it was a great day for me when I became a US Citizen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armat Posted December 19, 2003 Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 Congrats! Now you have a voice a voting power.Let your congreswoman/man know that you care about Armenian issues. Here in Mass. John Kerry did an excelent job supporting Armenian couses all becouse Armenians in Mass are active. Happy passport picture! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted December 19, 2003 Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 Congrats!!! I know the feeling! To a lot of people it may just be another thing they do but I actually meant the words I said when I took the oath that day It is a fairly moving experience to see ALL those different people from all sorts of strange places standing under one roof side by side and taking an oath as one! There were like 6000 people there the day I did mine. It was one of the most eye opening experiences of my life. I know it sounds melodramatic but that's the day one really "gets" what the US is all about (or supposed to be about). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sev-mard Posted December 19, 2003 Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 That's cool because I was looking at all the people and wondering what they were feeling like. I'm sure it was a great day. I didn't see any armenians, it looked like everybody was Latin. =D Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted December 19, 2003 Author Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 Thank you very much, everyone... Yeah Sip, today there were 7,200 people who became citizens. (Only in the morning - there was going to be another ceremony in the afternoon.) Sev-mard, the most represented nation was Mexico. But we did see some Armenians. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted December 19, 2003 Author Report Share Posted December 19, 2003 Congrats! Now you have a voice a voting power.Let your congreswoman/man know that you care about Armenian issues. Here in Mass. John Kerry did an excelent job supporting Armenian couses all becouse Armenians in Mass are active. Happy passport picture! Yes Armat, I plan to become very active concerning Armenian issues. We have a good Congressman, Adam Schiff, who's taking a part in the Genocide resolution in Congress. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 First off, anoushik, congrats. I agree with David with regards to not being your own country... I mean, I understand celebrating for getting the right to vote, but if I'm not really an American (i.e. the descendent of the first people who arrived, etc.), I really wouldn't have much to be happy for/about.. Yeah, I would be very happy to get my immigration papers, but citizenship is an altogether different issue. And it is THIS about America-hyes that I don't understand.. But anyhow -- congrats anyway.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armo77 Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 congratulations And good to have you living here.. You will enjoy it and your future generations will have a good life. P.S. Dan dont you have an ounce of friggen manners? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 P.S. Dan dont you have an ounce of friggen manners? oh, go to hell already.. if you have a problem, take it to PM. otherwise, stop being a pest. no further comments. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Maral Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 Congradulations! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 ... did you know that an adult American has the IQ of a 16 years old European. And a grown up European has the IQ of a 18 year old formal SU citizen. Hmmmm that's quite interesting. Would you mind posting some source for this amazing statistic? By the way, are you talking about "a person" or on average. Because I am sure we can find an American with the IQ of a 16 year old European. Along the same token, I am sure we can find a European with the IQ of a pickle jar. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CheekY Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 Congrats!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shahumyan Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 unlucky... Amen mi mard mi tsav uni Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armo77 Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 I really have no idea what is wrong with Armenians.. Someone is happy. Instead of just wishing them good luck and happiness they have to rain on the parade. -Truly upset. Talk about no class Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 Armo77, what is YOUR problem??? I believe we all said congrats to her -- a little bit of general criticism or expression of opinion is not necessarily "rain on the parade"... Do you have to oppose everything I say? YOU are the one who's turning this thread into an argument thread... ONE MORE TIME: GROW UP!!! And if you don't like what people say on here, get lost. It's not up to you to decide what people should and should not say or think. TALK ABOUT IDIOCY. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 i guess, congrads... eh, when will be the time, when we will congratulate each other for becoming a citizen of Armenia... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 (edited) eh, when will be the time, when we will congratulate each other for becoming a citizen of Armenia... Yeah... i donno... but I doubt that those who are OH SO HAPPY to be citizens of U.S.A would be AS happy if/when they get their Armenian citizenship... and that's the sad part... http://www.student.yorku.ca/~shoghig/dan/shakehead1.gif Edited December 20, 2003 by Dan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
THOTH Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 Much congrats Anoushik! (and welcome to the club! USA USA rah rah! LOL) Shame that there are folks - who through perhaps their dislike of American foriegn policy and maybe aspects of our popular American culture (their perogatives certainly...and I'm not so thrilled about all myself) fail to understand what you are justifyable feeling right now. It is botha great accomplishment on yoru part - for which you should feel proud - and very lucky/fortunate and you now have the oppurtunity to prosper and flourish based on your own merit. The sky is the limit for you now. And you and yoru eventual family (if you haven't one already) are blessed to live in aland where you are offirded these oppurtiunities and the freedoms to be yourself and do as you wish. Cerainly things could be better - as crime and other factors make our expereicne/environment less then it could be - but no you have a chance to do something to help make it better for us all. There is something very special about the American spirt - being an American - that I know is difficult for others to sometimes understand (and I don't mean to take away from being a citizen of any other nation either - for many have their points etc)...but I kow that you - and most other naturalized Americans -understand what I am saying - probably more then most who have been born her and twho take our freedoms and oppurtunities for granted. So make the most of it - and welcome once again! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
THOTH Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 (edited) Dan I think many (armenians..and perhaps Sev-Marde - LOL) would be very happy to obtain Armenian Citizenship. Perhaps not for all the same reasons. It is a shame that there is an environment there now where one might not be happy to be a citizen - and that many who are now - are fleeing for better oppurtunities and to escape the coruption and look for a better life. This is a great shame - and I would say that any interested in being a citizen of Armenain - should also be interested in making Armenia a better place - and not just a better place - but the best place! Edited December 20, 2003 by THOTH Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 i guess, congrads... eh, when will be the time, when we will congratulate each other for becoming a citizen of Armenia... Harut jan, the day someone comes here and says that they became a Armenian Citizen I would congratulate them as well. David jan, that was a great Soviet propaganda. Dan, Armo, please stop you guys Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 THOTH -- for me, someone who really has no permanent home country and citizenship (as I've moved quite a lot during my childhood), I would say that I would NOT be proud to be a citizen of Canada or any other country for that matter -- the only countries I am/would be proud of being a citizen of are England and Armenia -- because those are my countries, and that is my identity. I would NOT be proud of being a citizen of Canada -- it is a right I would be grateful to be given, but it is nothing I would be proud of. In contrast, I would be SO PROUD to become a citizen of Armenia, because it is rightfully my OWN country.. I guess people and views differ, and I respect others' opinions, but I can't understand how anyone could be proud of something that doesn't really represent anything more than materialism. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
THOTH Posted December 20, 2003 Report Share Posted December 20, 2003 Dan you fail to understand at all what the US is about if you think it is only about materialism. And as you state - you fail to understand why one wold be proud of becomming an American. But maybe you don't. I think that the pride expressed by Anoushik and others at becoming an American is very genuine - and is exactly for the reason you stated (and more perhaps) - because it is their country and they accept and identify with the (core) values. I certainly do - regardless of any differences [and/or embarrasment] I might have with politicians, government officials, and whoever else..)...so yeah - proud to be an American! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.