joseph parikian Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/images/bigcandle_lit.gif LETS LIGHT A CANDLE 15 YEARS AGO:REMEMBERING December 7, 1988 An earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale, having its epicentre the village of Spytak near Gyumri (Leninakan) kills more than 25,000 people Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angel4hope Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 i was there when it happened...i was 3 years old...sad........................ idont remember much but our family lost alot of people Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 I'm sorry for your loss, angel. I was also there, in Leninakan (now Gyumri). I was 5 years old. We didn't suffer losses in our relatives, but a lot of my parents' friends and collegues died. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sev-mard Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 wow that's a sad moment. As the anniversary approaches I send my heart felt feelings to those affected by that tragedy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 This is the last thing I want to remember. It was the hardest winter of my life. I will never forget the faces of those young children, I am sorry anoushik. I remember my father returning from Leninakan, Spitak, he looked like he aged about 10 years with grey hair gracing his head full of dark black hair, and for the first time I saw him weep, not very typical of my macho father. One of the stories I heard of how he was trying to save a child no more than 5 who was trapped under the debris, but there was no way of saving him. So after hours of trying, my father just sat there weeping holding this boys tiny fingers, he sat there listening to the boys voice slowly fade away and his tiny fingers loosened. The things our nation went through and we are still surviving. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SirumemKez20 Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 Ya it's very very sad...I was there at the time let's light a candle and say a prayer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
joseph parikian Posted December 4, 2003 Author Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 (edited) The things our nation went through and we are still surviving.Call it MIRACLE , if our survival is not a MIRACLE then some one tell me what els you call a MIRACLE .Dont underastemate our nations RESILIENCE .We are still here and will be here till the second comming .http://www.mugzy.s5.com/Armenian_Pride2.jpg Edited December 6, 2003 by joseph parikian Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MosJan Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 http://www2.armenians.com/gyumri/Gyumrii.jpg The Great Quake - A National Tragedy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SirumemKez20 Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 mos where did u find that picture above? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MosJan Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 it's on our web page http://www2.armenians.com/gyumri/index.html Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Accelerated Posted December 4, 2003 Report Share Posted December 4, 2003 Yes, a tragic day for our nation. I was 7 at the time and remmember the events like it was yesterday. We lived in Yerevan and my dad was in Russia at the time. I remmember we were about to leave for school (classes were held in the afternoon for some reason) and then it started - cutlery and cristal shacking and falling - I wasnt really scared coz I didnt know what was going on.....then my mum grabbed me and we ran downstairs. She took me to school, I saw a lot of army trucks with soldiers moving about. School got cancelled and I think it was there that we found out what had happened. That night there was another scare/aftershock and we ran downstair again. The next summer while on our way to Javankh we passed through Leninakan and it really was a terrible sight - escpessially the collapsed central church. You will be glad to know that while I was travelling through Spitak and Kirovakan this summer things seemed to have returned back to normal, thats the impression I got anyway. I saw very few collapsed buildings that hadnt been removed, certainly none that were still inhabited and a lot of new buildings that had been built since - it was a pleasant surprise. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
-=VAHE=- Posted December 5, 2003 Report Share Posted December 5, 2003 I was lucky enough to have a moved just two months before the earthquake to America. Our building had collapse and I feel thankful to God that he got my family and I out of there. Yes, Much has changed in Gyumri. My family who lives their right now has new house built by the government and their old building that was in ruins has been restored. The economy on the other hand is a different story but anyway we should neer forget this tragedy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SirumemKez20 Posted December 5, 2003 Report Share Posted December 5, 2003 it's on our web page http://www2.armenians.com/gyumri/index.html thank you kyank Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gurgen Posted December 6, 2003 Report Share Posted December 6, 2003 A sad day to be sure We were living in Yerevan at the time, I was 1.5 years old but I remember it like yesterday. I remember my mother screaming, the tables and the paitings moving and me pooping my pants I really feel for the people near the epicentre, and for all the families who have lost their most dear... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted December 6, 2003 Report Share Posted December 6, 2003 I wasn't there when it happened, but I remember when my parents were talking about it.. I was 5 years old at the time.. A coupla years later, about 20 survivors of the earthquake came to our school. they were kids our age, and a lot of them were physically disabled. I remember it crystal clear. we gave them presents and sang with them. Such a thing shouldn't happen to anyone - any human being, regardless of race, nationality, etc. It's just sad. When one sees the faces of those orphaned and crippled children who survived the quake, it makes one think if all those wars are in fact worth one human life. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
-=VAHE=- Posted December 8, 2003 Report Share Posted December 8, 2003 Im amazed how Azerbaijan could celebrate this tragedy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted December 8, 2003 Report Share Posted December 8, 2003 As I was going to school in Leninakan, most of my classmates were orphans. They had either lost one parent or both their parents and were living with relatives. But the most tragic case was that of one student - she had lost every one or her relatives except her grandfather. They only had each other left. She was just eight and her grandfather was in his 60. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted December 8, 2003 Report Share Posted December 8, 2003 These stories are so sad - my heart goes out to all who have suffered. I won't say how old I was when it happened, but we did try our best to mobilize releif efforts from across oceans - sending (what seemed to us like enormous quantities) of blankets, coats, medicines and food - and collecting funds to help the response teams. Unfortunately the little help we could offer does not go a long way considering the losses. Very sad Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
-=VAHE=- Posted December 9, 2003 Report Share Posted December 9, 2003 It just goes to show how Strong us Armenians are for overcoming this tragedy and last decade which really isnt over yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hyebruin Posted December 21, 2003 Report Share Posted December 21, 2003 Call it MIRACLE , if our survival is not a MIRACLE then some one tell me what els you call a MIRACLE . Dont underastemate our nations RESILIENCE . We are still here and will be here till the second comming . http://www.mugzy.s5.com/Armenian_Pride2.jpg i love this poster...though it's sad to not identify with the message it contains...don't get me wrong i'm a very proud armenian, but i feel like many armenians especially in cali (l.a.) have tarnished ALL of our reputation in more ways than i care to get into here...truely sad... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Half-Celt Posted December 21, 2003 Report Share Posted December 21, 2003 its very sad, i don't have any story about it, my family left armenia long beofre, and i wasn't there. but those stories are heart breaking Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.