-
Posts
1,584 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Everything posted by Dan
-
Mmhmmm... Hey, at least I'm not a hypocrite...
-
You are truly delusional... First off, I didn't go ballistic on you because you said you lived in America with your family. Get your facts straight. There are a lot of people on the board who live in America, and I have no problem with that... Your fallacious arguments and faulty logic is what led me to make fun of you. At that point, you were already out of the argument at any rate, because what you said was just laughable... "biting the hand that feeds you" is a load of BS phrase, and unfortunately often thought of as a good argument not to speak up against the injustice the U.S government has in the past and continues to practice. You don't have to kiss the government's ass in order to be a patriot. You can oppose your current government's policies and still be a good citizen, by believing in the things on which your country was based, and it is, unfortunately, in U.$.A's case, based on slavery and intolerance... So to accuse me of being anti-American is as delusional an argument as the accusation by the U.S government of anti-war protesters as being unpatriotic. Unfortunately, a lot of people buy into this fallacious argument, and I suppose you're one of those.
-
Hatred towards Americans? There is none as far as I can see. Towards the U.S. government perhaps.
-
Like I said, I don't want to get into that.
-
Eh, akid behki Arabi...
-
I know what it's like because my dad was a soldier, and I've lived through a war....
-
Go ahead. I'm waiting. This is gonna be so much fun.. For the record, I am not taking English language classes... I don't need to. I never said it makes me a better person. But if you don't know the language and nature of the people you are defending, then I don't think you'd be able to have a knowledgeable debate..
-
I haven't read it. I loved Love's Labour's Lost. I haven't read Twelfth Night, but I've seen the movie, and it's funny. I have to read Othello next term.
-
First off, the only thing I'm intollerant (sic) of is when people stupidly defend a country whose language they don't even know .... So you wanna defend your country in a debate? Go learn English first... I am not telling you to bite the hand that feeds you... That's another thing I'm so intollerant (sic) of - when someone twists my words / arguments... so if you want to have a knowledgeable debate, don't even go there. DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW HARD IRAQIs HAD IT WHEN YOUR MANIAC OF A PRESIDENT SENT HIS OH-SO-RIGHTEOUS TROOPS AND DECEIVED THE ENTIRE WORLD WITH ARGUMENTS ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WASN'T PRESENT IN THE FIRST PLACE? DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW HARD IT IS FOR THE FAMILIES OF THE SOLDIERS WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED IN IRAQ? OR THE POST-WAR DEFORMED BIRTHS AS A RESULT OF CHEMICALS LIKE AGENT ORANGE? I suppose you haven't had a soldier in your family. Let me tell you something, Mr. know-it-all - I KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE, but I'm not gonna go there. And if you choose to speak for yourself, then by all means, do so. Because if U.S.A helps one family, it destroys another 10. So if you're going to defend a tyrant, by all means do so, but DO know that the righteousness of a country cannot be proven by your sole account of the goodness of U.S.A. I choose to speak for what humanity has suffered under U.S. tyranny. What do you choose to speak for? That is the question. Of course... you're not a hypocrite... You are attacking other countries for intolerance, yet you are intolerant yourself... Ok... that says enough... I'm done with this quarrel... When you have better arguments, come back and then I will reply...
-
Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favourite writers. I've read his Mother Night - about an American guy who was thought to be a Nazi, tried and imprisoned...
-
Wh0a, first off, relax... so how come you think that one does not tell the truth and the other is just "crap"? Wow, how open-minded, unbiased, and non-racist of you... And you said you live in U.S.A, the land of the "good"? http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs213198/dan-shakehead.gif Sure you can. Last time I checked, my Armenian friend who lives in Lebanon got a tourist visa, booked a flight, went to the U.S.A., and they told her at the airport that she couldn't enter... they just told her to go back... Yes, you can come and leave as you please... Let me ask you a question - have you ever left U.S.A even? http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs213198/dan-shakehead.gif I would've crowned you the king of capitalism if I had the power to do so... http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs213198/dan-bigmouth.gif What do sexism and religion have anything to do with media accuracy? And are you telling me that a country that is bigoted, homophobic, and whose president is a war-mongering maniac would give the truth? When you learn how to present relevant points and non-fallacious arguments in your debates, only then think about "debating".... http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs213198/dan-shakehead.gif
-
I'm an internet freak.. More than 8 years / day when I'm at home... Sometimes I take my laptop to school with me and get online from there during my breaks as well.
-
lol Thanks. Nice to see you too. There's a free copy of a translation into English of Raffi's Khent online... I'm not sure if it's a good/accurate translation though. Here it is: http://www.blackmask.com/olbooks/khentdex.htm (HTML frame version) http://www.blackmask.com/page.php?do=searc...rch&query=khent (various versions - PDF, ZIP, etc.) Hope the links work.
-
I don't get it - what's the difference? You're saying that CNN is not crap but it's just not the real news cos it's directed by the government, whereas Al-Jazeera is crap? How are they different? If news in America is controlled by the U.S. government, news in the middle east would naturally be controlled by the middle eastern government, whichever that may be... But I suppose you buy into the media propaganda that claims that Al-Jazeera is bogus or has terrorist links. Al-Jazeera was the only website that posted the details of the U.$. invasion of Iraq, along with photographs of the dead people... I guess being a dissenter in the world of mainstream media, it gets branded as stupid... *sigh*
-
Al-Jazeera is not bogus... CNN is...
-
What do you mean by anti-Americanism? Just for the record, someone who criticizes and opposes the policies of the U.S. government is not necessarily anti-American... So if you're referring to that, it's irrelevant... It's an issue of free speech and political beliefs. Ignore this post if you meant something else...
-
I don't like Romeo and Juliet. I think it's hugely overrated.
-
I read Vahan Deryan. Edit: And Misak Medzarents
-
Oh my, I just noticed this after posting the other one.... I hate Hemingway's style. He uses "and" so much I wanna kick him while reading it. Try reading the first page of A Farewell to Arms and you'll know what I mean..
-
Almost any genre, except for biographies, unless it's someone I really wanna know about... I read a lot of satire - Kurt Vonnegut, anyone? I also read a lot of Victorian novels, as I'm an English Lit. major and I gotta read those for my courses... hmm.. I rarely read plays... I've been reading a lot of poetry recently, particularly WWI poetry (and novels too..) I like philosophical books/novels, like Balzac, Zola, etc. I recently read Germinal and Old Goriot, which were friggin amazing. Right now I'm reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five or the Children's Crusade. I have Bluebeard (Vonnegut again) next on my list - it's the "autobiography" of an Armenian guy.. As long as it's not another Hemingway book, I would read it. I hate Hemingway's style. He has no clue whatsoever about commas. Uhh, so yeah, mostly novels.
-
Hmm... well, the thing I want to experience most before I die is to fly a fighter jet.
-
I think I think that there is a loss in meaning or a different implication that is lost through translation... I don't know what I think.. I guess I kinda lost my train of thought right there.
-
I think it's a load of BS. I hate it when people say that. Everything that happens must have a cause, but not everything must have a reason (as in purpose, end). Hmmm, I guess people understand this quote differently than I do - I don't think it means that everything happens due to a cause, but that everything happens because it is for another purpose (?) I don't know? Hmmm.
-
Domino, yep, that one's available at the library too. Very interesting. Thanks guys.
