mx5 Posted September 10, 2004 Report Share Posted September 10, 2004 We have been in diaspora for almost 90 years now,and as Armenians we have went a long way since than. Many of us shined in their careers in very difficult conditions,we have contributed to the culture ,economy, construction of the countries we were hosted,most of us are educated now more than the locals themselves,we even speak more languages than them,a substantial portion of our diaspora still calls himself Armenian despite evrything.(its unrealistic to say all of them). every and each Armenian was ussualy a good example of diligant and thrustworthy inteligent individuals,we were respected in every field that we contributed,so much so that we were envied from locals for many reasons. one of those reasons of envy was that we have clinched to our armenian heritage and went on SPEAKING ARMENIAN,this was one of the main reason of frustration. the other and not lesser was that most of Armenians went on to marry another Armenians,this was also a source of anger,while the requiered from us was a intermariage which would force owr assimilation. but still remained a big hole in all this we had no Country ,this was our own weakness,well as you know it is not so any more..!!all of the sudden we were transformed from a mere sect who lack confidance,yes this was the reason of our lack of confidance and still there are people like that among us,these are armenians who underestimate the indipendence of their own country and its merits and impect on Armenians all around the world.transformed into representatives of an indipendent country..!! when we came back from yerevan a month ago(me my wife and son)the mere mentioning opf our visit to a local Arab,gave the impression that he/she was heavily insulted..!!!! and always tried to avoid that subject with me. We are much more recognized in the world than you all think we are,may be there are some who are incofident,but there are lots of us who have great outlook into our future,there are people working for the armenians wherever they are those are people who will not come on this forum and tell what they do,because they dont care,their only concern is the well beeing of our people. And these are the people whou will shape the future of our nation and our people,not you not me..!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Boghos Posted September 10, 2004 Report Share Posted September 10, 2004 (edited) On the issue of corruption it is certainly a "chicken and egg" problem as TB mentioned, but it is not driven just by poverty, actually increased wealth may also bring increased corruption. Case in point: China. Smart politicians prefer wealth: everybody is merrier. Question: isn´t the whole looby structure in Washington a form of instutionalized "corruption" or is it a recognition of men´s weaknesses in a smart manner ? Corruption for me is a reflection of the way society is structured intermingled with cultural issues (in some places giving the guy at the passport office a "tip" is absolutely acceptable, for example, but of course it goes much wider and deeper than this). To make a long story short the problem we have in Armenia is the concentration of too much political and economic power in the hands of a few people in the absence of strong institutions that moderate the excesses that these are prone to commit. At the same time the population at large even though it understands intuitively and in many instances in practical terms what is happening cannot act for a variety of reasons. So, Armenians vote with their feet. Finally, Armenians are well known in many places. We tend to be amicable, smart, dedicated, peaceful, non intrusive, resilient in the most part and especially for external consumption. Don´t take me wrong, if I could be born again, I would still choose Armenian. But that doesn´t mean that I should shut my eyes and reflect just about how lucky I am. Edited September 10, 2004 by Boghos Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mx5 Posted September 10, 2004 Report Share Posted September 10, 2004 (edited) Finally, Armenians are well known in many places. We tend to be amicable, smart, dedicated, peaceful, non intrusive, resilient in the most part and especially for external consumption. Don´t take me wrong, if I could be born again, I would still choose Armenian. But that doesn´t mean that I should shut my eyes and reflect just about how lucky I am. style_images/master/snapback.png although Im in no way in a position to distribute sertficate or to judge ones Armenianness,Im realy glad to read above post Boghos. As for corruption matter,I think corruption itself cannot be removed or extradited completely because it is part of human nature,even in the noblest of demcracy tradition countries there are certain extent of corruption. When you say:Son eat your meal,he says no,ok then Ill buy you a choclate when you eat it,so he does..what you think are you doing if not bribing your own son..!!!! if corruption remains within certain circles ussualy it is not apparent but when comes down to the public level it starts to disturb those same circles itself..!! I havent heard of single country that is not suffering of corruption,or of corruption scandals in more advanced countries. Yet this is the real monster which is impeding the progress of many nations,and no reamedy found so far.. As`for external consumption,I dont care what each individual sells as long as it brightens our image,I myself never expected anything from another armenian whatsioever for my personal interest,all i do is preserve my language my history,culture,Identity,heritage,because i think that is what I should do as an Armenian,this I find it to be my duty,and I dont give much thought about the others what they think of me. dont get me wrong if I was born an Avghani I would have done the same!! Edited September 10, 2004 by mx5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted September 10, 2004 Report Share Posted September 10, 2004 There are similarities as well as differences. But it is the similarities that make them both unknown to many. They are both third world countries, somewhat deserted, somewhat isolated, no natural resources, corruption arising from weak economy, most want to leave, etc. There are differences but we should not ignore the similarities. It does not solve anything. style_images/master/snapback.png Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the tiny Erithrea kick Ethiopia's butt in a war in recent years? If that is true then here is one more similarity Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.