MosJan Posted April 20, 2004 Report Share Posted April 20, 2004 HI need help need help on finding the best internet service in Armenia something fast and that will let me do internet conferencing MSN Video or net. any ideas ??? I was told some sort of a new internet access is available in Yerevan that uses some sort of "satellite" or a radio signal but it fast, some use this to connect to international phone services ~~~ anyhow if anyone can gave me a idea please do . Thanks IN ADVANCE mOVSES Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gevo27 Posted April 20, 2004 Report Share Posted April 20, 2004 im sure they have DSL.. or some form of it. lol.. my dad has a friend who seems to have pretty fast connection when they chat online and exchange pics and stuf... ill see if i can find out what he uses Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted April 30, 2004 Report Share Posted April 30, 2004 (edited) This is for you Seap. What do you have to say for yourself? The study said cable modems were 50 percent faster on average than DSL connections. According to data tabulated during February, Cablevision reportedly had the fastest connections, averaging 800kbps, or 13kbps above the industry average. Comcast came in second at 794kbps, Cox in third with 688kbps and Adelphia in last with 575kbps. Time Warner Cable, the nation's second-largest cable television network, was not included in the study. Source Edited April 30, 2004 by anileve Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted April 30, 2004 Report Share Posted April 30, 2004 Sip, I am still waiting for you to admit your defeat.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted April 30, 2004 Report Share Posted April 30, 2004 I admit to my defeat. Now please let me know what was the claim in which I have been defeated? Furthermore, give this a try: 1. Click to http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest 2. In the "Start a personal test" area select your connection type and start a test. 3. Post what downstream speed you get. I just did the test at home with my DSL connection and got 1.3 Mbps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted April 30, 2004 Report Share Posted April 30, 2004 I admit to my defeat. Now please let me know what was the claim in which I have been defeated? Sip is a perfect gentleman, admitting defeat to a lady without knowing what it is Domino, take a note Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted April 30, 2004 Report Share Posted April 30, 2004 I get 2.1 Mbps Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted April 30, 2004 Report Share Posted April 30, 2004 I get 2.1 Mbps I must add that my connection is devided by two with a router. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted May 1, 2004 Report Share Posted May 1, 2004 I admit to my defeat. Now please let me know what was the claim in which I have been defeated? Furthermore, give this a try: 1. Click to http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest 2. In the "Start a personal test" area select your connection type and start a test. 3. Post what downstream speed you get. I just did the test at home with my DSL connection and got 1.3 Mbps. Kill the moment will ya? 1. I did 2. I did that too 3. 3mbps 4. Subjective rating: Awesome! 5. Cable is faster than DSL 6. The victory is mine! Rarrrrrrrrr! And the crowd goes wild. 7. Women are always right. 8. Now I can sleep in peace. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 1, 2004 Report Share Posted May 1, 2004 2.3 mbps... Yes cable's faster than DSL, but most cable companies cap your upload speed at a much lower rate than DSL providers. and we all know UPload is extremely important for those of us who need to access our home computers/networks remotely. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MosJan Posted May 1, 2004 Author Report Share Posted May 1, 2004 1.1 megabits per second Communications 1.1 megabits per second Storage 137.3 kilobytes per second 1MB file download 7.5 seconds Subjective rating Good 1.1 ( Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 1, 2004 Report Share Posted May 1, 2004 There is no question that the peak bandwidth on coax is much higher than DSL on copper pair. But the cable companies being the greedy bastards they are, will oversell their bandwidth. Just give it some time ... don't forget cable is shared among all the people connected to it. DSL is a point to point connection between you and the service provider. So I can always rely on my 1.3 Mbps connection to be there! With cable, congestion can really start to slow things down depending on how many users are accessing things simultaneously. And the way TCP works, if there is congestion on the line it starts to exponentially increase it's backoff so things will slow down awefully quickly for the end-user The reason I went with DSL instead of cable was because DSL is 29.99 and I had to pay another $10 a month for a phone line at home (even though I don't use it) for a total of $40 a month. Cable would have cost me at least $80 a month once you factor in the basic service which charter makes you get here if you get internet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted May 1, 2004 Report Share Posted May 1, 2004 235.9 kilobits per second on DSL??? what the freak is this? and this has been going on for last few months already!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted May 1, 2004 Report Share Posted May 1, 2004 can router slow down the connection? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 1, 2004 Report Share Posted May 1, 2004 can router slow down the connection? Yes, possibly - especially if the router is being used by several machines at the same time. In my experience, I've set up several routers using PPPoE connections (what you normally use with DSL) is that routers are more efficient managing PPPoE than many software network connection utilities. You can make sure that you're optimizing your configuration (MTUs, packet size, and other parameters) by consulting the helpful folks at DSL Reports. They also have a speed test, (for upload & download speeds) as well as several tweaks and utilities. Things that may slow you down are firewalls, antivirus, badly configured machine/router, not enough memory, caching issues in the browser, noisy phone lines, a faulty cable or ethernet jack, if you've got a virus, or are infected with spyware, or a trojan, slow proxy server, or just plain ISP congestion.... and think this list could go on.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gurgen Posted May 2, 2004 Report Share Posted May 2, 2004 HI need help need help on finding the best internet service in Armenia something fast and that will let me do internet conferencing MSN Video or net. any ideas ??? I was told some sort of a new internet access is available in Yerevan that uses some sort of "satellite" or a radio signal but it fast, some use this to connect to international phone services ~~~ anyhow if anyone can gave me a idea please do . Thanks IN ADVANCE mOVSES I wouldn't go for a satellite connection if I were you, unless you have unlimited funds Even then, I've heard it's a very unrealiable connection. DSL would be the way to go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.