Nakharar Posted February 15, 2005 Report Share Posted February 15, 2005 Abre los Ojos was excellent. style_images/master/snapback.png Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the director. I think he is brilliant. His last film The Sea Inside is a tour de force. He has a depth that Almodovar doesn't like to exhibit. Not there is anything wrong with that, the two cannot be compared. Almodovar's style is more surreal and witty. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sev-mard Posted February 15, 2005 Report Share Posted February 15, 2005 Abre los Ojos was excellent. style_images/master/snapback.png Yes is was, and Vanilla Sky just butchered it I thought. I originally saw that movie whilst in Japan. Spanish language w/ Japanese subtitles. I was go back and forth between the languages in my head and it made for a moving movie exprience as a native English speaker. So maybe thats why I like it so much and feel that Vanilla Sky really didn't do it any justice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted February 16, 2005 Report Share Posted February 16, 2005 Stormy, I am shocked. The movie was the most painful experience I think I've ever had. It was worse than picking up my father's toxic socks and placing them in the laundry hamper. At least that lasted for about a minute or so, this movie was like 2 hours of Jennifer's ass and sour facial expressions. Think butt and a sour face, if your idea of a fun movie is that sort of a combination than this movie is a perfect appeasement. I am certain that the monstrosity was produced to showcase JLo's assets. The only scene worth watching was the tango between the two protagonists. And Gere was not the actual dancer, he had a "dance double," if you noticed most of the scene was in the dark. Plus it was one of my favorite pieces by Gotan Project. style_images/master/snapback.png Evelina, I also liked "Shall We Dance". I thought it was a fun movie. I didn't think Jennifer Lopez was that much present in the movie (but whenever she was, yes, awful, she can't act). I thought the movie was very good entertainment - relaxing, light-hearted, not serious, feel-good movie. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted February 20, 2005 Report Share Posted February 20, 2005 Yes is was, and Vanilla Sky just butchered it I thought. I originally saw that movie whilst in Japan. Spanish language w/ Japanese subtitles. I was go back and forth between the languages in my head and it made for a moving movie exprience as a native English speaker. So maybe thats why I like it so much and feel that Vanilla Sky really didn't do it any justice. style_images/master/snapback.png I liked both. Obre los ojos had a more authentic appeal, while Vanilla was more on the abstract side. anoushik: IMO Shall We Dance was a disaster, everything about it was cardboard. Hotel Rwanda: was a very powerful and dramatic film. My waterworks were on for this one. The actor was absolutely superb and he mastered the accent perfectly. 8/10 Maria Full of Grace: excellent movie about a Columbian drug mule. She lives in a poor neighborhood peeling roses. One day she finds she is pregnant with her boyfriends child, however in frustration they confess that they don't love each other. She has to provide for her family and the child that is on the way. That is when she agrees to life threatening deal with a drug kingpin. Half of the movie is filmed in Ecuador and the other half in New York. It's not a tear jerker and it's not overly melodramatic, just an eye-opener. The actress is a rising star IMO, it was her first performance and I don't know if it will ever be matched, the girl is a dynamite. If anything, the best actress Oscar should go to her. 10/10 In Good Company: Very pleasant movie. A middle aged man is faced with a crisis when he finds out that he is being demoted, with a possibility of losing his job, to work under a 26 year old, his wife is pregnant and his daughter want to go to a very expensive NYU. The 26 year old is a workaholic and as a result his wife leaves him. Both men connect in an interesting way. Acting is very generous. Well worth the money. And what's best? The ending is not quite predictable. 7/10 Finding Neverland: Not bad, but not worthy of the Oscar. Depp is absolutely amazing and painfully handsome, but that really has little to do with the plot of the movie. It's an embellished biographical story about the author of Peter Pan. Kids’ acting is very impressive, Kate Winslet is not very interesting, Hoffman appears for a second. The characters are not that well developed, and too many themes are captured. The moral is the same as in many other movies: "You have to Believe." It was a bit on the melodramatic side, but I guess a good way to explain to children how to deal with death and to foster their imagination. My friend mentioned that the movie may be used in Jackson's case as self-defense. There were rather striking parallels to be drawn. Decent, but nothing special. 5/10 So far oscar nominations are not impressive. Next on my list will be the Aviator and The Sea Inside. I doubt my view regarding Oscar incompetence will change though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted February 20, 2005 Report Share Posted February 20, 2005 (edited) Evelina, I also liked "Shall We Dance". I thought it was a fun movie. I didn't think Jennifer Lopez was that much present in the movie (but whenever she was, yes, awful, she can't act). I thought the movie was very good entertainment - relaxing, light-hearted, not serious, feel-good movie. style_images/master/snapback.png I agree entirely. Well, without the bit about JLo's acting - I'm pretty neutral there. Eve, one thing I've noticed is that it is usually people that do dance on a regular basis that diss the movie. Case in point - one of my co-workers. I thought she was going to grab me by the neck when I said I had liked it. The person that I watched the movie with is a Persian friend who does follow up on all ballroom dances, though, and he's very thankful and all for being abroad and being able to enjoy the art, so he shared my enthusiasm. I just think that more so than the quality of the dancing, it was the way the story wove out that counted. As for O12, I'd rather the cast had starred in an advertorial. At least then with a few catch phrases or something I'd remember something from the acting. OK, maybe it wasn't that bad, but I was disappointed. Edited February 20, 2005 by Stormig Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nakharar Posted February 20, 2005 Report Share Posted February 20, 2005 I have been to Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and I must say it really surpassed my expectations. It's such a stark contrast to the pre-packaged, heavily-marketed series that was deliberately created to appeal to the Harry Potter crowd, which cannot even remotely match it in depth and subtlety and totally lacking in mystique. I've never met anyone above the age of 12 who liked any of these books and movies. Maybe those who are somewhat dumbed down can find something worthwhile in it. The books are much better, since the author didn't give in to pre-conceived expectations like J.K. Rowling the poor writer she is. The dark tone, the sardonic humor was wonderful. Visually the film is stunning and has quite a Burtonesque feel. There really is a lack of intelligent children's authors like Roald Dahl who don't quite fit the mould and Lemony Snicket is one of them. I can't wait for the remake of Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp. The original was hilarious and bizarre to say the least. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted February 20, 2005 Report Share Posted February 20, 2005 I've noticed is that it is usually people that do dance on a regular basis that diss the movie. style_images/master/snapback.png Usually people who dance good like to be watched rather than watch someone else. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted February 20, 2005 Report Share Posted February 20, 2005 Usually people who dance good like to be watched rather than watch someone else. style_images/master/snapback.png Is that also true for sex Armat jan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 Is that also true for sex Armat jan style_images/master/snapback.png I don't know. I don't like being watched doing anything. Especially posting in HF Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 Usually people who dance good like to be watched rather than watch someone else. style_images/master/snapback.png I admit, I am not a dancer Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 Is that also true for sex Armat jan style_images/master/snapback.png that should explain why i don't like porn... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 I admit, I am not a dancer style_images/master/snapback.png Well, once you become one, you'll hate that movie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 Well, once you become one, you'll hate that movie style_images/master/snapback.png But the movie wasn't that much about dancing but more about human life, relationships, marriage, boredom, love (not necessarily in that order) in a much light-hearted way, wasn't it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 But the movie wasn't that much about dancing but more about human life, relationships, marriage, boredom, love (not necessarily in that order) in a much light-hearted way, wasn't it? style_images/master/snapback.png I didn't actually see the movie, so I don't know. I was replying to a post that said that people who dance regularly didn't like the movie. And I suggested a hypothesis Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 I didn't actually see the movie, so I don't know. I was replying to a post that said that people who dance regularly didn't like the movie. And I suggested a hypothesis style_images/master/snapback.png OK Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 that should explain why i don't like porn... style_images/master/snapback.png watching it or acting in them? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nakharar Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 Come on people. Do you have to derail the thread? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 (edited) You can't be serious? Please, please don't. I haven't been to such a lame and boring movie for ages since the Lord trilogy or Vanilla Sky. I won't even mention the cheap and disconnected dialogues. The whole thing was like a photo shoot. Let's face it there are movies which are produced for the sake of money only. These actors were brought together to draw attention away from the holes in the script and focus on the cast instead. The players did nothing except engage in meaningless chat with each other. I had a hard time keeping my eyelids open. During the ten-minute break, I left the theater to wash my face, hoping I'd find an engrossing development in the second half of the story. But it was even worse… It was just an excuse for spoiled actors to have good time in Italy and thicken their wallets. style_images/master/snapback.png I quite like the Lord trilogy and as you can see from my posts I found Vanilla Sky very intriguing. As for O12, well it was simply amusing to watch the spoiled actors having a good time in Italy. Perhaps it wasn't as good as the first one, but being that I love movies of that genre it did the necessary trick to tickle my amusement bone. I didn't expect anything intellectual, but I was entertained. Oh yeah, I'd rather take my coffee with Brad Pitt, Damon and the Van Gogh museum then have a bland shake of JLo's ass. Edited February 21, 2005 by Anileve Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nakharar Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 Oh yeah, I'd rather take my coffee with Brad Pitt, Damon and the Van Gogh museum then have a bland shake of JLo's ass. style_images/master/snapback.png I couldn't agree more. I can imagine myself hanging out with the boys in Rome, jet-set to the Cote d'Azur and take a rest at George's place at Lake Como. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 Oh yeah, I'd rather take my coffee with Brad Pitt, Damon and the Van Gogh museum then have a bland shake of JLo's ass. style_images/master/snapback.png Since you guys are forcing me I will take JLo's ass. Shaking or not Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nané Posted February 21, 2005 Report Share Posted February 21, 2005 But the movie wasn't that much about dancing but more about human life, relationships, marriage, boredom, love (not necessarily in that order) in a much light-hearted way, wasn't it? style_images/master/snapback.png I agree ... it was about stepping out of the everyday routine and doing something for yourself - in this case dancing. Many of us spend most of our time doing what "we have to do" and rarely spend time doing what "we want to do." We assume that we waste precious time by doing those things we are not obligated to do. Dancing is one of those rare activities that pulls me out of everyday life. When I dance, I cease to think (good or bad thoughts) or worry - I let the music fill me and I feel wonderful. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Arvestaked Posted February 22, 2005 Report Share Posted February 22, 2005 I thought the Lemony Snicket movie was absolute trash. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anoushik Posted February 28, 2005 Report Share Posted February 28, 2005 I saw Million Dollar Baby the day before yesterday. I thought it was an OK movie (and even thought the first part was boring). Was it worthy of the "Best Picture" yesterday? I haven't seen all the movies nominated in that category but I thought Ray should have won at least over Million Dollars. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Arvestaked Posted February 28, 2005 Report Share Posted February 28, 2005 Ray was an ok film. It was entertaining and had very good acting but it was a standard bio-pic no matter how you look at it. Nothing groundbreaking. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Arvestaked Posted February 28, 2005 Report Share Posted February 28, 2005 Sadly there went another year that someone did not decide to blow up the Kodak and kill all of the imbeciles associated with the Acedemy and their studid, boring, and arrogant award ceremony of mediocrity and botox. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.