Varduhi Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Sip... quick question.... not that i care I'm just wondering. Ko tsnoghner kes chen hishetsnum vor ko amusnanalu jamanakn e? In another word don't they constantly remind you like any other typical Armenian parents do? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted September 27, 2003 Author Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 "amusnanalu jamanak?" che chen "hishetsnum" vorov hedev irenk lav giden vor ed mi ban e vor yes pidi voroshem. Ed desaketits, yes shat baxtavor em ... edpes tsnoghner unenalov. Bayts irenk lav giden vor indz ban "hishatsnelov" vochich chi poxvi. Im hed, irenk giden vor pidi xosen, batsadren, yev haskatcnen "inchu". Yete miayn hishatsnen kam yete anverj mi ban pahanjen arants mi lav padjari, yes shat kitch ke padahi vor mi ban anem. Batsi tsnoghner, mderim engerneres yev urish modik shrjapadi joghovurden el arden ed lav giden Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Varduhi Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Sip urakh em vor aytpesi tsnokhner unes Sip es chai patkeracrel vor du aytpes lav hayeren gites. Ev Shnorhakalutyun pataskhanit hamar. Lav pahir kez hay lezvov khosetsokh BALA Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 I just found out this thread. The answer to your question Sip. is my signature. YOu are only thoughts, you are a product of the society... your life may look like something worthless, like any individuals life, but in the long run, life in the Universe as a whole is NOT worthless. You as Sip, each seconds of your life is influencing any obeservers around you, and them by this influence influence others etc... so seeing that as this, your life does not seem that worthless, considering that your existance is influencing the whole universe, that may be a very little influence, considering the size of this Universe, but this influence exist. ONe neuron in the brain alone may not have any value, when taking a look at it in an individual way, but its intereactions with others creat something so great and something of so much value comparing with this neuron. The same goes with humanity... This neuron has a value, its positions, its interactions all makes it something of value. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
THOTH Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Fasi - its not that I don't agree with you (I basically do)...but I think that this is unproven/unprovable...its just - in a sense - another article of faith... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Fasi - its not that I don't agree with you (I basically do)...but I think that this is unproven/unprovable...its just - in a sense - another article of faith... I don't see where in my post I have declared something unproven. "value" exist in the eyes of an individual, putting values on things is a product of the ability of humans to interprate and search senses to things. Senses exist, because without you being self-aware, you won't be here telling me that those things are unproven, and being here now and writting that, you like any other person, value things and try to find sense out of things... you may not do that for foundamental questions, but you do that like anyone of us, if you would not, you won't even write, because "writing"is having something to say, having something to say is the product of an individual interpretation of reality. So, this is not an unproven thing, only the fact that you write prove what I say. And me answering you, and other comming here and communicating, is a kind of connection, informations sent and recieved, processed, interpreted etc... and as a result, a community is form, like a society. THis society exist as a product of the organisation of individuals. You work, others go to school, a women is nursing, a doctor is operating etc... all those interactions, and all this collectivity makes a higher reality, that is what we know as our society, I havn't invented anything, neither said something unproven here. This society is influenced by each individuals, some may influence it more, other less, like for example a neuron situated in the temporal lobe and another in the hypophises of a man of 75 years, the first one will have more impoirtances than the second that will have pratically none. The society as well works exactly like how our brain is organised, there is nothing so surprising because our brain form our present reality, as the machine that is influenced by the mind it has created. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
THOTH Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Well yes - please look at my first response in this thread - perhaps we are more on the same page then we might admit...still - the worth of this is unprovable...I mean we can say - yes it is worhtwhile...but who is really to say? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Sip when I read your comments I didn't think it was you, I mean you don't sound like someone having existential thoughts (but then I could be wrong). I always thought that people who have existential crisis/problem are depressed and all gloomy. Is it correct to say that you have passed that? (its been almost a year since then). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted September 27, 2003 Author Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 I don't think you ever "get passed" the existential/point of life question. It is something that comes back over and over in different shapes or forms durring different parts of life. To assume you are over it or believe that you have addressed it adequetly is asking for trouble later down the road (for the more inquisitive of the minds). So am I "passed" it? no I don't think so. Am I depressed, suicidal, unhappy, etc ... no far from it. Do I search for a purpose? Always. Have I become too relaxed and laid back for my own good? Probably ... but time will tell. Note that as I have mentioned above, I think this is something that some don't have the luxury to think about. Once you have 3 kids and a large set of bills to pay each month, your "purpose" in life suddenly becomes very clear I think once you have too much time on your hands, then the questions start hitting you sooner rather than later. But when you are a professional student spending the better parts of your life working endlessly on something (and often there doesn't seem to be an end or hope), and worst of all there is really no adequate motivation to continue but the pressure you put on yourself, you do start to wonder. Especially when you see those around you really enjoying life (seemingly). I can comfortably say that everyone that I know of that has pursued higher and higher education goes and has gone and will go through that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 (edited) Thank God I am too busy, I might have that problem too. In fact, I might have had the existential crisis. When I was under 20 (probably 17-18) I remember being depressed. I was thinking to become a scientist and was a physics student. I realized that there are so many things to study and yet there is no end in it. My problem was if there are so many good things to study and my life is not enough to even grasp a tiny bit of it then what is the meaning of science, knowledge,etc. But I got out of it somehow, I don't remember how, maybe because I didn't have time to think about it. Well there was indeed so much to do at school Speaking of suicidal thoughts, I once had a suicidal roommate. He was a good guy and a smart person, but he had a worse case of suicidal existentialism (is there such a term?). We was often depressed. I used to hang out with him drink scotch and loosen up and stuff. He would forget his depression, we would lough, etc. then he would remember his crisis The thing is he had attempted to shoot himself once but it didn't work. Because of that he was on a parole, they took his gun, and he could not buy a new gun because of the parole. So when the depression would kick in he would start begging me to buy a gun for him. That was a pretty tough experience and a moral dilemma for me. He was smart, so even drunk knowing my psychology he tried to take advantage of it. He tried to use the friendship, if friendship feeling didn't work he tried the petty feeling, if that didn't work he tried to be a wise ass and convince me that life is not worth living and he indeed must die, that it is the right thing to do. Well, I didn't buy him a gun (which pissed him off) and after 2-3 times of this I stopped drinking with him. I don't know what happened to him because we both moved out (we even fought because he attacked me when he was drunk one time). Hope nobody bought him a gun, he was a stupid good guy.Hmm, are you depressed yet? Edited September 27, 2003 by Sasun Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted September 27, 2003 Author Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Hmm, are you depressed yet? Me? No the part about him missing himself with the gun had me rolling! You think things are bad until you can't even hit yourself But kidding aside, that and the fact that he was asking for help buying a gun sounds to me like a serious cry for help. If you really want to kill yourself there are very quick and easy ways. But people often choose the more complicated error prone ways and my explanation is deep down inside they are hoping it will fail. Suicide is a serious sickness. Too bad most people around the ones who are suffering from this don't understand it's true roots and causes and that often seems to add to the shame and depression of the "sick ones". Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 Com'n Sip, I don't think you have any crisis This guy did have a crisis, you don't Actually I think he had a fear of killing himself. Maybe shooting is the least fearful method. Shooting was not the only method he had in mind. Sometimes he asked me to drive him to a bridge and jump with him. When I said why he doesn't do it alone he didn't give me a logical answer, so I think he was afraid to go alone. Sometimes he thought of running into a phone-boot in a car but I didn't understand how that could do any serious damage. So I think he had a fear. That could be the reason why he missed the first time.The funny thing is once he was in my car when I almost hit another car. He got all scared and hysterical. I said why do you care you are suicidal. He said something like no no no you don't understand a suicidal person must kill himself not others. Anyway, he must have had another problem in his head. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hyebruin Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 suicide is pretty sad and pathetic!! and bad karma that you'll have to relive and repay!!! but why so dramatic? with a gun? shotgun? jumping out of buildings? there are less extreme ways!! respiratory depression via...never mind! I don't want to feel guilty for someone who's desperate and tries this!!!! (this page is accessible to the whole world after all!!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gamavor Posted September 27, 2003 Report Share Posted September 27, 2003 (edited) Sip, I will try to go back to your initial thoughts. If the purpose of life (or rather one of the purposes in life) is being happy, than that answers your question. If you believe that you have reached that point of ultimate "nirvana" in the western sense of the word, than probably you should think about making others feel happy or just good. That will make you even happier or at least will bring some sense in your life, until the time those other ones reach your level of satisfaction, and then they will be in the same trouble. More over, you will be happy for the simple fact that somebody else has exactly the same problem. The ancient had all the answers. In the east happiness is considered being in harmony with the outer world through self-perfection. The way to achieve that ambitious goal is through meditation. For the western man, happiness has different dimensions. Think about it. You are happy every time when you receive presents. You get something extra without paying for it. Isn’t it nice. That way the western man meditates, - by spending money. Spending your efforts materialized in Phoenician signs - money. In a way it is ridiculous and pointless, because you spent what you have saved to be spent. It makes sense, right? Edited September 27, 2003 by gamavor Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted October 2, 2003 Report Share Posted October 2, 2003 http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/misc/G.html http://www.gurdjieff.org/ http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/misc/School.html Gurdjieff is cool! And don't miss Gurdieff's movements and music: http://www.gurdjieffmovements.net/ I watched the film "Seven Monkeys" last night. There is a scene at the end where Bruce Willis is wearing a false moustache - he looked like an exact double of Gurdjieff! Does that music by Gurdjieff sound exactly like the sort of music that used to be played to accompany silent films - or is it just my yukky soundcard? Steve Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted October 2, 2003 Author Report Share Posted October 2, 2003 I watched the film "Seven Monkeys" last night. There is a scene at the end where Bruce Willis ...Must have been the cheap Asian pirated knock off version ... I preferred "Twelve Monkeys" much more. Those extra few monkeys REALLY add to the movie!!!! It's one of the most thought provoking movies I have ever seen! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted October 2, 2003 Report Share Posted October 2, 2003 Must have been the cheap Asian pirated knock off version ... I preferred "Twelve Monkeys" much more. Those extra few monkeys REALLY add to the movie!!!! It's one of the most thought provoking movies I have ever seen! Ouch! (must be that there are so many seven-whatsits in the title of so many movies that I forgot there were twelve this time!). But, in that film, at the end, if the scientists had the power to change history by preventing the virus being released then why didn't they? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted July 29, 2004 Report Share Posted July 29, 2004 There was something about Gurdjieff earlier on in this thread so I might as well post this here! Program about Gurdgieff's music on Dutch radio. http://www.vpro.nl/programma/urubicha/afleveringen/15337116/ Click on the audio symbol then, unless you are Nairi, skim through the words to get to the music. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted August 2, 2004 Report Share Posted August 2, 2004 Interesting Steve. Thanks for the link. As for the Dutch, I don't think he said anything new on Gurdjieff. It was mainly about his Movements and the 1923 exhibit/concert in Champs-Elysées. There he mentioned that in the third block (the concert was divided in 3 blocks), there were also Armenian dances. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.