elovna Posted June 11, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 11, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi: 3. Op welke gronden kon worden gelast dat deze woorden moesten worden geschapt? 4. Was er naar uw mening grond voor het genoemde optreden van de politie bij deze demonstratie? Ik denk toch dat men zich zal beroepen op de gemaakte 'afspraken'. Men mag verwachten dat afspraken worden nagekomen. Het was beter geweest wanneer deze afspraken niet gemaakt zouden zijn. Het is niet voor niets dat het zo gespeeld wordt. Men had niets af kunnen dwingen in dit verband (als ik de wetten - ik ben al vergeten welke - goed heb begrepen). Nu is het volgens mij gewoon zo dat de politie op mag treden wanneer men zich niet aan de afspraken blijkt te houden. Ergens is dat ook logisch.I don't have time now to post this also in English. Will do that in the morning.Thanks Nairi. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 11, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 11, 2002 quote:Originally posted by Harut: quote:Originally posted by Aghtchik:I hoped that those spaces would be overlooked. B.t.w. Harut. Is there a better way to make the codes visible, like a special code that will hold them?just usecode: [ CODE ] [qb] this text should not be modified [/qb] [ /CODE ]as i'm doing right now. just overlook the spaces for the code. code inside code is not overlooked i guess.Is there a special code that will hold the "[ code ]....[ /code ] ? (Please overlook the spaces in the code ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 11, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 11, 2002 By the way, Nairi. I would like to send you a private message. Can you make that possible? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 11, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 11, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi:6. Do you share the opinion that at this named demonstration there were no problems with public security, which would make intervention by the police necessary? Is there reason to assume that freedom of speech and the regulations of the Law on Public Manifestations were unjustly breached?They AGREED to not use certain words, unfortunately. That is what makes the interfearing of the police legitimate, or do I see it wrong? Isn't it more interesting to know HOW the agreements were made? Did the committy have a choice? THAT is what I would like to know. Was there any pressure used? Like: "If you don't agree to our terms, then we will not allow the demonstration to take place." Because in THAT case the City will have violated our Law Public Manifestations: In our Law Public Manifestations (Wet Openbare Manifestaties) which gives authority to local governments to set rules and regulations regarding the right to demonstrate, to be exact in paragraph 5.3, it says that a rule, limitation or prohibition cannot be related to the content of what is to be practiced or to the thoughts or feelings that are to be made public. [ June 11, 2002, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Aghtchik ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted June 12, 2002 Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 quote:Originally posted by Aghtchik:I hoped that those spaces would be overlooked. B.t.w. Harut. Is there a better way to make the codes visible, like a special code that will hold them?just usecode: [ CODE ] [qb] this text should not be modified [/qb] [ /CODE ]as i'm doing right now. just overlook the spaces for the code. code inside code is not overlooked i guess. [ June 11, 2002, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Harut ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted June 12, 2002 Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 Elly jan, please reread the ealier letter by April 24 Committee sent to Assen City Hall posted by Rouben on page 1 of this forum. I'm not here to agree or disagree with people who are more experienced than me. I merely came to provide information. You guys do whatever you want with it. Private message: what do I do to make it possible? Gamavor jan, the guy who invented Groong is wind. I'm merely grass. Sending articles written by other people really doesn't take much intelligence. I guess quoting is one thing you and I have in common. You're right. There should be more Armenians like us. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted June 12, 2002 Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 Here's the Dutch version of the above-mentioned letter: VAN24 april Comité AANHet college van B&W van de gemeente Assen Noordersingel 33 9401 JW ASSEN Uw schrijven 02/mei/2002, kenmerk cs/2002/860Den Haag, 22 mei 2002 Geacht college, In reactie op Uw brief dd. 2.5.2002 inzake het verloop van de demonstratie op 24 april 2002, hebben we behoefte aan een aantal nadere opmerkingen over de demonstratie en reacties op uw brief. Allereerst betreuren we het dat er kennelijk misverstanden zijn ontstaan tussen U en ons over de afspraken bij de demonstratie. De gevolgen daarvan zijn niet van ernstige aard geweest, althans U geeft aan dat de demonstratie op zich geen verstoringen van de openbare orde en veiligheid heeft opgeleverd en onze ordedienst duidelijk zichtbaar aanwezig was. Binnen de Armeense gemeenschap echter hebben de taferelen rond de spandoeken een slechte indruk achtergelaten.Zoals U weet hebben wij ons als Armeense gemeenschap altijd aan regels en afspraken met u gehouden en beoogden dat ook nu te doen. Uit het verloop van een ander kunnen we niet anders dan concluderen dat de meeste zaken die u noemt, zoniet alle, terug te voeren zijn tot het ontbreken van een communicatie na het gesprek op 19 april. Een schriftelijke vergunning met heldere voorwaarden op schrift had in elk geval de nodige duidelijkheid kunnen verschaffen. Hieronder wordt ingegaan op de afzonderlijke punten van uw brief.Veemarktterrein als verzamelplaats (a)In ons verzoek om toestemming voor het houden van de demonstratie hadden we aangegeven dat die voor het gemeentehuis aan de Noordersingel plaats zou vinden. Dat hadden we ook binnen de Armeense gemeenschap bekend gemaakt. Pas in ons gesprek van 19 april jl. heeft dhr. Werkman ons voorgesteld om het Veemarktterrein als verzamel -en vertrekplaats te hanteren. Wij hebben ingestemd met dit voorstel in die zin dat wij alle betrokken organisaties zouden vragen om, voorzover zij hun aanhang binnen zo’n korte tijd konden bereiken, deze wijziging van verzamelplaats door te geven. Dat is ook op 19 april gebeurd. Echter het is per definitie niet mogelijk om iedereen tijdig te bereiken. Het was de organisatie gelukt om het gros van de demonstranten te kanaliseren naar het Veemarktterrein. Enkele mensen die niet bereikt konden worden hebben kennelijk een parkeerplaats gezocht in de buurt van de plaats van de demonstratie. Dat lijkt ons op zich - ook voor u - wel begrijpelijk. “Opruiende cq beledigende teksten” (Tijdens het gesprek van 19 april jl. is onzerzijds begrip getoond voor het standpunt van de gemeente geen opruiende en/of beledigende teksten te laten gebruiken. Dat was evenmin de bedoeling van de organisatie. Kennelijk verschillen we van mening waar het gaat om de termen “opruiende” en “beledigende”. Het noemen van de woorden Turkije of Turkse overheid kan ons inziens op geen enkele wijze als zodanig onder deze kwalificatie worden gebracht. Het feit dat Turkije zoals U bekend een actieve ontkenningspolitiek voert ( alle problemen in Assen zijn daar immers op terug te voeren) mag er uiteraard niet toe leiden dat het noemen van het land waar de Armeense genocide heeft plaatsgevonden, verboden zou zijn en daarmee de “ontkenner” bij voorbaat in het gelijk wordt gesteld.In onze ogen is het noemen van de plaats en de dader van de Armeense genocide, de ergste misdaad tegen de menselijkheid, bij een demonstratie waarbij erkenning van die genocide in feite de doestelling is, een logisch en onvermijdelijk onderdeel.Het feit dat die woorden uit de spandoeken moesten worden verwijderd, ervoeren onze mensen als kwetsend. Dat elke verwijzing naar Turkije en Turkse overheid Uwerzijds als opruiend en beledigend zou worden beschouwd is ons niet duidelijk gemaakt. Indien, zoals eerder gesteld dit als uitkomst van het gesprek van 19 april of als schriftelijk voorwaarde bij de vergunning, op schrift zou zijn gesteld, zouden we hier zeker actie op ondernomen hebben. Het komt ons nl. voor dat een dergelijk categoriaal verbod niet past binnen de in Nederland geldende vrijheid van meningsuiting. Zonodig zouden we hierover in kort geding een uitspraak van de rechter gevraagd hebben. Aan de uitkomst zouden we ons uiteraard geconfirmeerd hebben. Censuur ©Het verwijderen door de politie van de termen Turkije en Turkse overheid uit de spandoeken hebben wij inderdaad als censuur en dus als beperking van de vrijheid van meningsuiting ervaren. Folders (d)Er werd onzerzijds op 19 april inderdaad medegedeeld dat er op dat moment geen plannen waren om folders uit te delen. Daartoe is pas besloten op de laatste vergadering van het 24 April Comité. Zonder een folder zou immers niet mogelijk zijn om het doel van de demonstratie aan de plaatselijke bevolking duidelijk te maken. Door de tijdsdruk is het de organisatie niet gelukt om deze kwestie en de tekst van de folder voor te leggen aan Uw college, waarvoor onze excuses. De folder bevatte overigens slechts wetenschappelijke feiten over het onderwerp van de demonstratie. Politieoptreden (e)Hierbij moeten wij Uw college helaas mededelen dat wij ons zeer ongemakkelijk hebben gevoeld bij het onnodig optreden van de politie. Uw kwalificaties “opruiend en “beledigend” aan het adres van het 24 April Comité dat voor de erkenning van de genocide in 1915, waarbij 1,5 miljoen Armeniërs zijn omgebracht door de toenmalige Turkse overheid, streeft is op zijn minst misplaatst. Na rijp beraad, heeft het comité afgezien van het nemen van juridische stappen tegen Uw college wegens het omstreden politieoptreden. Omdat hiermee naar mening grenzen zijn overschreden, heeft het comité het parlement daarvan in kennis gebracht. Er zijn kamervragen gesteld aan de Minister van BZK.Samenvattend kunnen we ons slechts vinden in uw voorstelling van zaken, waar het betreft het feit dat onzerzijds is nagelaten de latere beslissing inzake de folders aan u door te geven. Wij hopen dat wij van onze kant hiermee voldoende hebben geïnformeerd over hoe wij van onze kant de zaken hebben opgevat en ervaren. Hoogachtend,Namens het 24 april ComitéI. Drost [ June 12, 2002, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: nairi ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 12, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi:Elly jan, please reread the ealier letter by April 24 Committee sent to Assen City Hall posted by Rouben on page 1 of this forum. I'm not here to agree or disagree with people who are more experienced than me. I merely came to provide information. You guys do whatever you want with it. Lieve Nairi. Thanks very much for posting the info. Don't feel obliged to comment on my thinking outloud. I didn't mean to say that Van Dijke is asking the wrong questions. I am just posting what goes through my mind regarding what I read without wanting to offend anyone and I welcome any (polite:)) comment on what I think is 'my' logic reasoning. I am not a law expert, not a historian or a politician. This is all new territory for me and like I said: "I don't know everything." But I want to learn and understand. The mentioned letter, the way I see it, goes past what according to the City was a legitimate reason for the police to interfear during the demonstration, namely the agreements that were made. I am not saying that the Armenians don't have a point. But it's a bit strange to first agree to certain 'requests' and then complain when things go wrong after agreements were not lived by. So for me it is more interesting to know HOW the agreements came to life. Was there pressure of any sort used.... THERE you would have a conflict regarding the Law Public Manifestations (see my previous posting)... at least that's what I think, but I am not a lawyer. Can someone help me out here? Maybe usutsich jan...? So, concluding, I would say that the april 24 committy used an unfortunate way of handling this specific matter. By the way...I have started this topic because the freedom of speech in The Netherlands was questioned on the Forum. I want to understand what happened and what is going on. I am a Dutch citizen and the least I can expect from my government(s) is to act according our Law(s). If in this matter they indeed are violating the right to freedom of speech, then this should come to surface and be made public. And of course it should be set straight. Also, if the ignoring of the Dutch political parties regarding this issue is due to feared loss of Turkish votes, then also that should come out in the open. This matter needs Dutch support, if only, to start with, from a small group of which some experts like for example a prominent Dutch historian. The issue should be publically discussed. So, maybe you can answer this question Nairi: what does the current Dutch support consist of, other than Van Dijkes (party)? Private message: what do I do to make it possible? Click on 'Profile' and make sure that you enable the option that will allow other members to send you messages. Maybe another way is for you to send me a private message (one of the options on top of my postings). I expect to be able to reply in that case. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted June 12, 2002 Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi:Private message: what do I do to make it possible?click "my profile" link on top of the screen.click "view/update profile" on the left hand side of the screen.go bottom of the screen.under "you preferences", enable option "allow other users to send you private messges".click update. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted June 12, 2002 Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 Current Dutch support besides Van Dijke: - Professors of Armenian Studies (incl. history) at Leiden University; Dr. Weitenberg (appears on Dutch TV or radio when journalists need an expert at Armenian history), Dr. Van Lint (Expert at Armenian literature and culture. Has also appeared on Dutch TV/radio)- Karimi (MP, GroenLinks/Green Left) who's Persian and close friends with a number of (Persian) Armenians. Unfortunately both her and her party are not pro-recognition of the Armenian genocide by the Dutch government. They're playing it carefully with the Turks seen the amount of Turks in GroenLinks. (Keep in mind that most left-wing Turks become extreme-right-wing when it comes to the Armenian cause)- Marijnissen (MP, SP/Socialist Party) who visited the Armenian quarter in Jerusalem a few years ago and was impressed. His party, although the only one after CU that does not openly deny the Armenian Genocide, they are too cautious about official recognition by the Dutch government, as I'm sure you noticed in their reply to you (Elly, see page 2 in this forum).- A great number of 'others', i.e. journalists, intellectuals, artists, jokers, loafers and anyone else who know something about the Armenian genocide. Freek de Jonge (prominent Dutch satirist/columnist) signed this year's petition to Assen, along with a few other 'prominent' Dutch people. The moral support we get worldwide is in many ways more widespread than the support Turks get, but Turks are given a more powerful political position, beginning with America. Even though more Armenians live in and contribute to American society, Turks are still given priority. Something to do with the words strategic ally, I believe... But there is good news. Armenians are clearly more intelligent than the Turkish government has ever been. Turkish pressure may be very strong, but Armenians have so far always been a step ahead of them. That's what makes Turks so blindly angry (re: Rouben's site being hacked, boycotting of French products two years ago and naturally the genocide and its denial). Agreements in Assen: Assen never explicitly requested the categorical omission of the words "Turkey" and "Turkish government", i.e. in all contexts. What I mean by that is that it was not in writing, as the official procedure is in Dutch politics. Mr Werkman may have SAID it to the person who met with him, but he never WROTE it. The person in question denies being aware of what Werkman allegedly requested on April 19. And because the request was NOT in writing, Assen City Hall has no ground to accuse Armenians of not complying with agreements. This is the argument that the April 24 Committee is using. If this request had been in writing then the Committee would have reacted differently. Elly jan, I got your message. Thanks. I guess it works then. Btw, your thoughts out loud are very welcome. We need the "common", if I may call it like that, Dutch voice as much as possible. Your views are extremely valuable to us. Thank you for beginning this forum and being so passionately involved. We definitely need more Dutchies like you! Thanks Harut jan for your effort, but Elly's explanation was as clear. I did need your comment on not leaving any spaces in the brackets, though. There's no way I could've overlooked that. Thanks. [ June 12, 2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: nairi ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gamavor Posted June 12, 2002 Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 Sirounik Nairi, Being, wind, grass, a rock, a tree, or a bush (the plant, not the president) is a choice. And don't call me "jan" please. Not that I mind, but I'm not use to that suffix. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 12, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi: quote:Originally posted by Aghtchik: Also, if the ignoring of the Dutch political parties regarding this issue is due to feared loss of Turkish votes Who said this? Do you have any concrete info? I'm interested.I did. That is... 'thinking outloud'... b.t.w. I said "IF", because I read, I believe it was in Alert (online), that France tried to get Armenian votes with the recognition, so immediately I thought: "Oh, this definitally wouldn't work in Holland. Too many Turkish votes to lose." So no one but myself and I were wondering about it. It's something that I personally wouldn't rule out. Would you?? If this is too far fetched, please convince me that it's not a possibility. I know that GroenLinks has quite a few Turkish votes. I don't know about the SP. I have voted GroenLinks for years and I may decide to run over to the SP one day. But those are the parties from which I would expect more support than what they've given sofar, not because they sympathize because they are Christians or because they have Armenian friends or relations, but because they will always try to do what is humanly right and just (at least that is what I would like to keep on believing) [ June 12, 2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Aghtchik ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 12, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi:They're playing it carefully with the Turks seen the amount of Turks in GroenLinks. (Keep in mind that most left-wing Turks become extreme-right-wing when it comes to the Armenian cause)Here it is! So GroenLinks would not only lose a lot of Turkish members/votes but also have to deal with a very angry ennemy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 12, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 Somehow I smell fear and blackmail all over the place. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 12, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 Sorry. deleted a double posting. [ June 12, 2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Aghtchik ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 12, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 This editing isn't working right. (MosJan?) [ June 12, 2002, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Aghtchik ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 12, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 12, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi:And because the request was NOT in writing, Assen City Hall has no ground to accuse Armenians of not complying with agreements. This is the argument that the April 24 Committee is using. If this request had been in writing then the Committee would have reacted differently.I am not sure about verbal agreement not being lawful. You say that this person was not aware of having agreed to not use any words.... If that is true then the City must be telling lies to cover their ass. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted June 13, 2002 Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 Originally posted by Aghtchik: Also, if the ignoring of the Dutch political parties regarding this issue is due to feared loss of Turkish votes Who said this? Do you have any concrete info? I'm interested. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 13, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 quote:Originally posted by nairi:Gain of Armenian votes in France: was a rumor started by Turkey that was never confirmed by neither the Armenians nor the French (almost three times more Turks live in France than Armenians!). If this means that the ruling party in France had more Turkish votes to lose than Armenian to gain through recognition, then what you say seems logical. But it doesn't change the fact that in Holland any political party depending on Turkish votes will lose those votes once they start (publically) supporting the Armenians.(Almost 80! times more Turks live in Holland than Armenians.) Fear and blackmail Putting a taboo on the subject and keeping it there isn't going to solve anything. "We need the "common", if I may call it like that, Dutch voice as much as possible." You may call it like that. I wouldn't label myself as a common or average Dutch though. If that were so this issue wouldn't exist and we would be discussing other subjects. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 13, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 Nairi. More than once the disunity amongst the Armenians in Holland regarding this issue was mentioned. I would like to know what this disunity consists of. Can you explain that? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted June 13, 2002 Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 Disunity among Armenians in April 24 Committee: What happened this year was quite exceptional. The one main person in the April 24 Committee who makes sure everything goes as planned and who was meant to meet with Werkman on April 19, left for Armenia and gave this other person the responsibility to make April 24 work. I assume that I don't need to elaborate further on what drastic consequences this had. Disunity among Armos in general: Wasn't this already discussed on page 1? Maybe someone else in this forum can elaborate. This isn't really my subject. Btw, with 'common' I meant someone who's not into hardcore politics and history, as you described yourself earlier. What I mean is that if you would ask about this subject to any random politician, political scientist or historian their reaction would not be half as emotional as yours. "Yes, but Armenians were wrong as well, and Armenians also committed terrorism. Besides all this happened so long ago, why are these Armenians still mentioning it and well, what is 1.5 million? I mean if you count the number of Chinese people who have died in all their earthquakes etc. etc. etc." 'Common' people tend not to relativize, but see it within the specific context and therefore tend to become more emotional. Being emotional leads to becoming involved and that is what we need. Not heartless scientists who will even go as far as to blame the victims for what happened to them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 13, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 It's my experience that those 'common' people do tend to relativate this as much as other people. The reactions you mentioned, that's all I hear everywhere. In my opinion the emotional engagement (apart from the genetic factor) is mainly being caused by human relations, in this case with Armenians, directly or indirectly. That is why I am suggesting over and over again to start to come 'closer' so that they can 'see' you and you can 'touch' them, the people. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
elovna Posted June 13, 2002 Author Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 The disunity amongst Armenians. I didn't mean in general. This was mentioned a couple of times already, in this particular context of the situation in The Netherlands. However, no detailed explanations were given. I thought you may know more about it. But don't feel obliged. I was just asking. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted June 13, 2002 Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 Common: you're right. Indifference is also predominant among 'common' people (not you). That is why I am suggesting over and over again to start to come 'closer' so that they can 'see' you and you can 'touch' them, the people. Okay, let's work on it then. Crucial question number 1: What Armenian thing would your average indifferent Dutch person be most interested in? Name one or two Armenian things that Dutch people will want to popularize and (proudly) remember as Armenian. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted June 13, 2002 Report Share Posted June 13, 2002 ...as well as contributing to Armenia, naturally. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.