Azat Posted March 26, 2006 Author Report Share Posted March 26, 2006 What seems to be happening is that wine makers have figured out Mr Parkers pallet so they design their wines to please him. Not sure if I agree with this. I tend to like the wines that he likes but it seems like he has way too much influence in the industry and great wine producers get screwed because he many times ranks them low. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted March 27, 2006 Report Share Posted March 27, 2006 Agreed - many 'parker'-ized palettes don't have an appreciation for some of the subtleties of old world wines. I always find it interesting to try and find other sources of tasting notes than just Parker... here in QC we have a few noteworthy sommeliers, each having their own franchises (eg books, magazines etc.) so it's nice to have an opportunity to get different opinions on wines. I did a tasting a few weeks ago of Rhone region wines, and the organizer added a 'new world ringer' from California to see if we'd be able to pick it up. Many did, and it was quite interesting to compare wines with a similar varietal blend, elaborated in a similar style but on two different continents. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted March 27, 2006 Report Share Posted March 27, 2006 And I'm actually impressed that our prices are for the most part in line with what your prices for the same imports. I wouldn't have expected that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Boghos Posted March 27, 2006 Report Share Posted March 27, 2006 Malbecs, that´s the only thing I have been drinking. Goes well with my temperament. As to Sauternes, I like it but nothing beats vintage Port. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted June 4, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 My latest discovery directly from my dinning! VANA LITCH Very Dry, made of Cabernet-Sauvignon and Saparevi Grape! Gams - oh my goodness man. this wine royally sucked buddy. I tried it 2-3 weeks ago and U never throw away wine but had to toss it after a glass. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted June 4, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 Oh my goodness. I am so happy. I just got 6 bottles of 2004 Marquis Philips Shiraz "9" for only 24.99. The cheapest I have seen anywhere is $36 dollars. Parker 92- "No Shiraz Integrity was made in 2004, so the superb 2004 Shiraz 9 includes the wine that would have been earmarked for that flamboyant cuvee. The rich, full-bodied, opulent Shiraz 9 boasts abundant amounts of concentrated blackberry and cassis fruit intermixed with smoke, camphor, and tar notes. It is a powerful Shiraz (16% alcohol), so those looking for restraint and delicate European-styled reds should steer clear of this monster. It should drink well for at least a decade." I also got 6 bottles of the 2004 Marquis Philips "Sarah's Blends"- for $10.99 Parker gave this one 91 points (I think I need to stop buying wine until I get a job again) So yesterday we had a bottle of Shiraz #9 and also a bottle of the s2 cab by Marquis Philips. Let me tell you these two bottles can easily sell for 50-60 dollars each. soooo good. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted June 4, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 Malbecs, that´s the only thing I have been drinking. Goes well with my temperament. As to Sauternes, I like it but nothing beats vintage Port. Boghos, can you recommend a few that can be purchased for a decent price that can be held for a while(3-6 years) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gamavor Posted June 4, 2006 Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 Gams - oh my goodness man. this wine royally sucked buddy. I tried it 2-3 weeks ago and U never throw away wine but had to toss it after a glass. Have you checked if it wasn't 'bushoned' or as they say here - corked? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted June 4, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 no it was not, but i do think it had gone bad from not being stored in a cool place Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MosJan Posted June 6, 2006 Report Share Posted June 6, 2006 ՀԱՅԱՍՏԱՆԻՑ ՏԱՐԵԿԱՆ ԱՐՏԱՀԱՆՎՈՒՄ Է 500 000 ՇԻՇ ԳԻՆԻ Մինչեւ ընթացիկ տարվա վերջ կընդունվի «Գինու մասին» օրենքը: Թե դրանից ինչ կստանա գինեգործությունը եւ ինչքան կուրախանան գինեգործները, ներկայացնում է ՀՀ գինեգործների միության նախագահ Ավագ Հարությունյանը: «Մենք ներկայացրեցինք հայեցակարգային փաթեթ: Մինչեւ հիմա այս ճյուղը կառավարվում էր կամ շարժվում էր սովետական շրջանի ստանդարտներով, իսկ Եվրոպան արդեն 1909 թվականին ուներ այն օրենքը, որ մենք հիմա առաջարկում ենք: Որպեսզի հասկանանք, թե ինչ է սա, փորձենք ըմբռնել երկու մեծ քաղաքականությունների տարբերությունը: Հայտնի ֆիլմի մեջ Չենետանոյի հերոսի ասածը` այս ափի այսինչ տարվա գինի. դա եվրոպական մոտեցումն է` Աստված յուրաքանչյուր տարածքի տվել է առանձնահատկություններ եւ այդ տարածքից ստացված գինին առանձնահատուկ է: Սովետական գաղափարախոսությունը ասում էր. ընդհանուր տնտեսություն, ընդհանուր այգիներ, ընդհանուր գինի, եւ բոլորը խառնվում էին իրար: Մենք հիմա փորձում ենք գալ աշխարհագրական ծագումով գինիների գաղափարախոսությանը` եվրոպական մոտեցմանը: Կարտադրվեն նաեւ ընդհանուր հայկական գինիներ, որոնք կարող են պատրաստված լինել ցանկացած տեղի խաղողից եւ շշալցվել ցանկացած տեղում: Հայաստանից այսօր տարեկան արտահանվում է 500 000 շիշ գինի: Առանց որակի կորստի կարող ենք արտահանել 5 000 000 շիշ: Բայց 5 000 000-ից հետո տեսեք ինչ կարող է տեղի ունենալ: Եթե ընդունվի օրենքը, մենք սովորական գինիների դաշտով կարող ենք ներմուծել արտասահմանյան գինիներ եւ խառնել մեր գինիներին` մինչեւ 49/51 հարաբերակցության դեպքում գինին կկոչվի հայկական: Իսկ մենք կարող ենք Արգենտինայից մինչեւ 10 ցենտով, Իսպանիայից մինչեւ 20 ցենտով, Իտալիայից մինչեւ 40 ցենտով, Ֆրանսիայից մինչեւ 50 ցենտով, Մոլդովայից մինչեւ 60 ցենտով, Վրաստանից մինչեւ 1 դոլարով առնել լավ գինիներ եւ խառնել մեր գինիներին: Հայաստանը կարող է այս ճամփով գնալ միայն այն պայմանով, որ վերահսկողությունը լինի նորմալ, եւ նվազագույնի հասցվի կոռուպցիան եւ սուբյեկտիվիզմը»: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MosJan Posted June 6, 2006 Report Share Posted June 6, 2006 ՀԱՅԱՍՏԱՆՈՒՄ ՉԿԱ ԳԻՆԻ ԽՄԵԼՈՒ ԱՎԱՆԴՈՒՅԹ ՀՀ ԱԺ պատգամավոր գինեգործ Մանվել Ղազարյանը, պատգամավոր Մանուկ Գասպարյանն ու ՀՀ Գինեգործների միության նախագահ Ավագ Հարությունյանը հունիսի 6-ին, լրագրողների մասնակցությամբ քննարկման ժամանակ փորձում էին պարզել հայկական գիգեգործության վիճակը եւ գնահատել գինեգործներին պետության աջակցության մակարդակը: Վերջինը` մասնավորաբար Ռուսաստանի շուկաներում վրացական գինիների արգելումից հետո առաջացած բացը լրացնելու համար: Մանուկ Գասպարյանը խոստովանեց, որ գինի խմում է, բայց գինուց հեռու է: Սակայն որպես տնտեսությունից հասկացող մարդ նկատեց, որ ռուսական տնտեսական համակարգը դարձել է քաղաքականություն` սկսած գազից մինչեւ հանքային ջուր: Սրանով հանդերձ, «լավ կլինի, որ մեր պետությունը թեկուզ միջնորդավորված օգնի հայ գինեգործներին», քանի որ շուկան գրավելը մեկ օրվա բան չէ` «գովազդ է պետք, մարկետինգ է պետք»: «ՌԴ շուկան անծայրածիր է, եւ եթե մենք պատվերներ ունենանք, նաեւ խաղողագործությունը կզարգանա», կարծում է Մանուկ Գասպարյանը: Գինեգործ պատգամավոր Մանվել Ղազարյանը հավաստիացնում է, որ ռուսական շուկայում հայկական գինիներ կան արդեն 6-7 տարի եւ խնդիրը դրանց իրացման ծավալները ավելացնել է: Հայկական գինիները չեն կարող զբաղեցնել մոլդովական գինիները տեղը` էժան գինիներ: Մեր գինիները ռուսական շուկայում զբաղեցնում են միջին շերտը` 2-2.5 դոլար եւ թանկ շերտը` մինչեւ 7-8 դոլար: Բայց այս շերտերում առաջացած բացը լրացնելը դարձյալ մեկ օրվա հարց չէ: Գինեգործների միության նախագահ Ավագ Հարությունյանը տեղեկացրեց, որ աշխարհում կա առնվազն 10 երկիր, որ կարող են մեկ օրում ռուսական շուկայի այդ բացը լրացնել: Ֆրանսիան եւ Իտալիան երեք անգամ ավելացրել են գինու արտահանումը ՌԴ, ակտիվացել են Բուլղարիան եւ Ադրբեջանը, Տաջիկստանն ու Ուզբեկստանը: Մոլդովան էլ բանակցում է իր գինիները ՌԴ շուկաներ վերադարձնելու ուղղղությամբ: Թե ինչու Հայաստանը չի ակտիվանում` բանախոսը չասաց, բայց ասաց, որ մի երեք ամսից արդեն ուշ կլինի ակտիվանալու համար: Եվ առայժմ ՀՀ-ում արտադրված գինիների հիմնական շուկան մնում է ՀՀ-ն, ուր սակայն գինի խմելու ավանդույթ չկա: «Ռուսական օրիենտացիան տարել է դեպի օղի», ասում է Մանվել Ղազարյանը: Իսկ Մանուկ Գասպարյանն էլ առաջարկում է. երբ իշխանությունները բասկետբոլ են խաղում` բոլորը բասկետբոլ են խաղում: Թող իշխանությունները գինի խմեն: «Հեսա ջրի գինը կբարձրացնեն` մարդիկ գինի կխմեն», վերջում հավելեց նա: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Boghos Posted June 7, 2006 Report Share Posted June 7, 2006 Boghos, can you recommend a few that can be purchased for a decent price that can be held for a while(3-6 years) Sure. Catena Reserva Cadus Yacochuya Achaval Ferrer Doña Paula Reserva Angelica Zapata Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Boghos Posted June 19, 2006 Report Share Posted June 19, 2006 Also very much worthwhile is DV Catena Malbec-Malbec. Just had it in Buenos Aires. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted June 21, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 21, 2006 (edited) Thank you much Boghos. I just saw the reply for the first time Edited June 21, 2006 by Azat Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted June 21, 2006 Report Share Posted June 21, 2006 Sure. Catena Reserva Cadus Yacochuya Achaval Ferrer Doña Paula Reserva Angelica Zapata Of these, only two are available here - and in limited vintages: Yacochuya Michel Rolland Argentine 2000 Code SAQ : 00708248 81$ It seems to be a seriously strong wine (at 16%) and I haven't found any tasting notes on it. Anyway, at that price, I'm not so sure I would give in to my curiosity. Malbec Finca Altamira A.Ferrer Argentine 2003 Code SAQ : 00718742 93$ Quimera Achaval Ferrer mendoza Argentine 2002 Code SAQ : 10234468 42.50$ Although, I assume you are referring to the Malbec, at the SAQ they also carry a wine they call Quimera from Achaval Ferrer - which seems to be a Malbec/Cab/Merlot blend. The 2003 was rating a 92 in the Wine spectator.... and it's at a better price. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Boghos Posted June 21, 2006 Report Share Posted June 21, 2006 vava jan, Quimera is a blend, but as Malbec is the predominant grape I am comfortable recommending it. Yacochuya is an alcoholic wine, but very much wortwhile trying, not cheap, you are right. Actually SAQ is cheaper than here... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Takoush Posted June 26, 2006 Report Share Posted June 26, 2006 I enjoyed two red wines lately; The Stonehaven, 2003 Shiraz, and the Seven Oaks 2003 J. Lohr reseve. They're very good table wines. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 14, 2006 Author Report Share Posted July 14, 2006 I have good news. tomorrow I get my 3rd paycheck. you guys know what that means... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted July 14, 2006 Report Share Posted July 14, 2006 Ok, a delicious wine I tasted tonight - and Boghos, this'll be right up your alley: made mostly with Malbec (although known locally as the French Auxerrois), they're sometimes blended with some Merlot and/or Tannat. Prince Probus, Clos Triguedina from Cahors 1999 @ under 30$ CDN it's a steal! Generously oaked in young casks, it comprises over 70% old-vine auxerrois and features a nose of cooked fruit & jam, strong tannins and a long finish. Excellent with fatty, meaty dishes like lamb, foie gras etc. Azat, with your 3rd pay check you should begin your journey discovering the good QPR wines of france! :) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 14, 2006 Author Report Share Posted July 14, 2006 hmmmmmm, not a bad idea EuroCave is going to be ordered soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Boghos Posted July 14, 2006 Report Share Posted July 14, 2006 Ok, a delicious wine I tasted tonight - and Boghos, this'll be right up your alley: made mostly with Malbec (although known locally as the French Auxerrois), they're sometimes blended with some Merlot and/or Tannat. Prince Probus, Clos Triguedina from Cahors 1999 @ under 30$ CDN it's a steal! Generously oaked in young casks, it comprises over 70% old-vine auxerrois and features a nose of cooked fruit & jam, strong tannins and a long finish. Excellent with fatty, meaty dishes like lamb, foie gras etc. Azat, with your 3rd pay check you should begin your journey discovering the good QPR wines of france! :) Hello vava jan, I never had a French Auxerrois even though a couple area available down here, unfortunately not the one you reviewed. On a further note on Argentina: bear in mind that 99% of their wines should not be kept for more than 5 years. Azat´s Eurocave or not. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 16, 2006 Author Report Share Posted July 16, 2006 In my dreams Boghos jan. here is the one I ordered http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/cellar...VP110%5CW.shtml Had a very good bottle of white last night Flora Springs Chardonnay - about 15-17 dollars. Excelent wine for hot summer days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted July 16, 2006 Report Share Posted July 16, 2006 Azat dude, I have the SAME model! Except a whole lot older! I bet the difference is noght & day: Mine's a little over 10 years old, so some of the technology's not quite what it is now - I don't have the digital controls (mine's the old plastic dial kind ). I don't think mine has any computer controlling the airflow - it just goes through the compressor unit. I don't believe there's any vibration dampening on my unit, nor any acoustic insolation. So any complaints I may have about mine seem to have been resolved in the more recent models - congratulations, it's an awesome unit!! One thing though, I hope they've fixed the condensation problem underneath the compressor - mine tends to gather some water at the bottom front edge of the compressor which ends up dripping on some of the bottles on very hot days. Make sure you keep an eye out for eny excess moisture build-up, both inside, and rarely outside too. You shouldn't experience any of this - CA is not nearly anywhere as humid as up here. Finally if you have the one piece metal grill racks, you may not be able to fit certain bottles from burgundy (shame really) I've had to store a few of mine with a friend.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 17, 2006 Author Report Share Posted July 17, 2006 what can I say. Great minds think alike... Vava jan, one thought I had was to fix a room in the basement as I have a full basement on the back half of the house.(about 600 sq ft total) but that would have been in the thousands and I did not dare go there. Maybe in a few years as for heat: Last few days and the entire next week it is expected to be in the upper 90s and low 100s in Glendale. it is HOT Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted July 17, 2006 Report Share Posted July 17, 2006 (edited) what can I say. Great minds think alike... Vava jan, one thought I had was to fix a room in the basement as I have a full basement on the back half of the house.(about 600 sq ft total) but that would have been in the thousands and I did not dare go there. Maybe in a few years as for heat: Last few days and the entire next week it is expected to be in the upper 90s and low 100s in Glendale. it is HOT Heat by itself isn't so bad... if you remember the stifling humidity up here (you do remember don't you?) anyway, it's the humidity that makes for the condensation problem in the cooler - dry heat shouldn't pose an issue I don't think. One day i'll actually have a basment, and then look out - winecellar!! Here's one I like: http://vinumdesign.com/espacecave/images/images_8.jpg Edited July 17, 2006 by vava Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.