DominO123 Posted May 17, 2004 Report Share Posted May 17, 2004 I don't know if anyone is following the world of printers, but the resolutions are really going crazy. I just got a Epson Stylus C84. It does 5760 X 1440 dpi as resolution. After testing it, it could not believe what I was seeing, it is so close to an actual real photo, it is really amazing... and with this durabrite technology, most of the time we don't need to spray the photos to protect the ink. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 17, 2004 Report Share Posted May 17, 2004 Nice! About how much does a full 8.5x11 color photo page cost to print with that printer? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted May 17, 2004 Author Report Share Posted May 17, 2004 Nice! About how much does a full 8.5x11 color photo page cost to print with that printer? I knew you would come up with something like that. Very cheap, when you refill your cadriges like me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 17, 2004 Report Share Posted May 17, 2004 Something like what? I haven't followed color printers for a long time and they always seems to be limited by high per-page costs rather than quality. But I can just imagine how good the picture looks on that one you are talking about. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted May 17, 2004 Author Report Share Posted May 17, 2004 Something like what? I haven't followed color printers for a long time and they always seems to be limited by high per-page costs rather than quality. But I can just imagine how good the picture looks on that one you are talking about. The thing with Epson is that unlike most other printers, the matrix is not on the cadrige, so the cadrige is cheaper. With the quality this thing offer, I suppose it isn't much costier than what the photo lab ask for 8.5 X 11. I really could not believe that quality of the picture at that resolution, many could be mistaken to believe it is real picture. And, think about the liberty with those stuff if you have a digital camera. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 17, 2004 Report Share Posted May 17, 2004 It's funny I don't even have a printer at home. I just rarely have the need to print anything. I have pretty much moved myself to being almost fully paperless. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted May 18, 2004 Report Share Posted May 18, 2004 I have an Epson C80 which I understand was the equivalent of current C84 2-3 years ago. If I play with print properties for some time I can get really good large photoes from it. However, the ink goes very fast, and the picture fades after one year. Maybe I should have sprayed with something but anyway, there are some cheap photo printing shops where you can order online by uploading your digital files. I have tried and they are just excellent quality (www.ezprints.com, there are a few others). I haven't tried the large sizes but I expect them to be of no less quality. I did some shopping around for a good photo printer but turned out using these services is a lot cheaper and more convenient than buying a photo quality printer. Besides, you will never buy a printer that allows you to print your face on a cake or a cookie (some of these services will print on those) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 18, 2004 Report Share Posted May 18, 2004 MMMMM..... I can just imagine.... Domino-cake Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 18, 2004 Report Share Posted May 18, 2004 Printers have indeed come along way since the first generation of consumer-end colour ink-jets about a decade ago. One thing I've noticed: the price of the printers is actually becoming more affordable - and the quality is significantly better. Of course, once they snag you, they get you with the ink cartridges (which are quite expensive IMO). I suppose it's a better return for them in the long term.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted May 18, 2004 Author Report Share Posted May 18, 2004 (edited) Printers have indeed come along way since the first generation of consumer-end colour ink-jets about a decade ago. One thing I've noticed: the price of the printers is actually becoming more affordable - and the quality is significantly better. Of course, once they snag you, they get you with the ink cartridges (which are quite expensive IMO). I suppose it's a better return for them in the long term.... Yes and no! The reason why most printers cadriges are that expensive is because the matrix is on the cadrige, each time you pay to change the ink, you pay for the cadridge, Epson is one of the exeptions, where the matrix is independent of the cadridge, and if you refill the ink, like I do... then the prize drop a lot. Edited May 18, 2004 by Fadix Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted June 15, 2004 Report Share Posted June 15, 2004 I knew you would come up with something like that. Very cheap, when you refill your cadriges like me. Well, Domino, I went after OEM printer inks and caused my printer's demise. It refuses to print no matter what I try. So I would not recommend printer refills, as they are even worse than cheap ink cartridges. Well, I better go for shopping a new printer, no more Epson, this time its gonna be a Canon I think. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted June 26, 2004 Report Share Posted June 26, 2004 I bought a Canon i860 printer, this thing is incredible, printed a few 4x6 photoes and I should say that there is more clarity than the same photoes I had printed in the lab. I was not hoping such quality because this is pretty much a low end printer ( There is one thing though, everyone recommends to use Canon photo paper, preferrably the Pro one. Anyway, I am quite satisfied BTW, Sip if you are reading, remember the problem that CAnon cameras don't print a date stamp? Well, Canon printers do using the EXIF information, so the problem is solved. And it doesn't matter if you print from the comp or directly from the camera. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted June 27, 2004 Author Report Share Posted June 27, 2004 I bought a Canon i860 printer, this thing is incredible, printed a few 4x6 photoes and I should say that there is more clarity than the same photoes I had printed in the lab. I was not hoping such quality because this is pretty much a low end printer ( There is one thing though, everyone recommends to use Canon photo paper, preferrably the Pro one. Anyway, I am quite satisfied BTW, Sip if you are reading, remember the problem that CAnon cameras don't print a date stamp? Well, Canon printers do using the EXIF information, so the problem is solved. And it doesn't matter if you print from the comp or directly from the camera. I returned my Epson few weeks ago... and will buy a Canon soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.