Dan Posted January 17, 2004 Report Share Posted January 17, 2004 (edited) This one's quite old, but I just came across it on another forum... lmao.. --- ‘Master’ and ‘slave’ on labels is unacceptable, officials say reuters Updated: 10:07 a.m. ET Nov. 25, 2003 LOS ANGELES, Nov. 25 - Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms “master” and “slave” on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive. THE REQUEST — which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components — came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled ”master” and “slave” and filed a discrimination complaint with the county’s Office of Affirmative Action Compliance. In the computer industry, “master” and “slave” are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries. “Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label,” Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors. “We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature,” Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters. The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels. Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an “exhaustive search” had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more ”appropriate” ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels “master” and “slave” or any other offensive terms. Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as “nothing more than a request” and not an ultimatum or policy change. “I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do,” he said. “It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally.” Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the “master” and “slave” labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers. “But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees,” he said. “We have to take these things seriously.” Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he’s received “telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired” he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels. In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves. Source Edited January 17, 2004 by Dan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted January 17, 2004 Report Share Posted January 17, 2004 Maybe instead of master/slave they should call the devices Boss and Cotton Picker What a bunch of bozos. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted January 17, 2004 Author Report Share Posted January 17, 2004 (edited) Maybe instead of master/slave they should call the devices Boss and Cotton Pickerhaha.. I'm beginning to seriously dislike the liberals........ I mean, geez... that's just too much.. what's next??!??! http://64.21.83.54/forum/style_images/1/icon8.gif a question -- does anyone know if this has really been applied? and what labels are being used instead of "master" and "slave"? Edited January 17, 2004 by Dan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 17, 2004 Report Share Posted January 17, 2004 Maybe instead of master/slave they should call the devices Boss and Cotton Picker What a bunch of bozos. Or call them Witch doctor and Zombie Or Producer and Consumer Or Jewish Lobby and US Congress Or America and Iraq Or ..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted January 17, 2004 Author Report Share Posted January 17, 2004 Or Jewish Lobby and US Congress looooool Steve!! good one!!!!!!! :lol2: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted January 19, 2004 Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 Great topic, I can finally disclose what I have discovered a while ago... *Connecting a male ps/2 connector to the female din port will result in a productive connection. *When inserting a hard drive into the bay please make sure to use the ESD for protection, to prevent an electric charge. *For a better performance please configure your device as a master, please remember to use the ribbon cables correctly to ensure the right performance. *If you want to thoroughly work on a CPU please lay it down on the ESD mat. *The antistatic bags are designed so that the static charges collect on the outside of the bags rather than on the electronic components. *If the screw does not fit, perhaps it is best to look for the one that does… I am sorry guys, I just couldn’t resist. This is my area and I take this field very seriously, examining from every angle how each aspect of computers can compliment my life. Yes sometimes I feel like I have received one too many electric charges to the brain. Computer terminology is really a serious foreplay undercover, one of those hidden symbols in our lives. And they say that computers are boring. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted January 19, 2004 Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 hahahah. Good one Eve. But I still do not like you. Since you only invited Vava and Sip over and not Azat. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted January 19, 2004 Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 hahahah. Good one Eve. But I still do not like you. Since you only invited Vava and Sip over and not Azat. Hey, you called us Geeks, and mind in your statement I didn't detect a tone of admiration nor tenderness towards that title. So unless you change your attitude towards geeks out of which Vava and Seap are my favorites you are not welcome into our clan. No TV dinners for you my friend! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted January 19, 2004 Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 but but but I too am a geek. I was just kidding. Well, actually I am a geek who wants to get out of geekhood and into winehood or pastryhood(I want to someday open up a wine bar or a Pastry shop) Can I please be part of the group. I just need to be loved. (ok, got to go back to work. :yuck:) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted January 19, 2004 Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 but but but I too am a geek. I was just kidding. Well, actually I am a geek who wants to get out of geekhood and into winehood or pastryhood(I want to someday open up a wine bar or a Pastry shop) Can I please be part of the group. I just need to be loved. (ok, got to go back to work. :yuck:) I love it when a man begs, how can I resist. Especially when a man wants to own a winery or a vineyard! I am a sucker for wine, you definitely hit the right signal. Pastry is awesome too, except it might be too fattening and I won't be able to dance with all of you guys, "electric slide" can be a rather strenuous activity when you are well over 300lbs. And I am assuming that we will have our dance parties, that is of course when we play an intense game of dungeons and dragons. You guys can be the dragons... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted January 19, 2004 Author Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 *If the screw does not fit, perhaps it is best to look for the one that does… omg!!! lmao!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: great post, anileve!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Anileve Posted January 19, 2004 Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 omg!!! lmao!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: great post, anileve!!!! Why thank you Dan, I am glad to be of service. I suggest you look deeper into a computer terminology and you shall notice the strong connection of sexual innuendos behind a dry description. I go especially crazy when I come across "female" and "male" connectors. Since the male connectors have pins and female connectors have holes, I mean if that is not a sexual orientation than I don't know what is. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dan Posted January 19, 2004 Author Report Share Posted January 19, 2004 loool, I'm gonna make sure to change that whole pin/hole concept. ahhhh!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.