shiner Posted November 21, 2003 Report Share Posted November 21, 2003 I wander if people in countries governed by totalitarian regimes such as Cuba and North Korea have internet access. This would allow them to completely transcend the boundaries set for them. Does anybody know? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted November 21, 2003 Report Share Posted November 21, 2003 China is actively monitoring and restricting all internet access from and into that country. This is one of the methods people try to bypass automated restriction schemes: http://www.alltooflat.com/geeky/elgoog/ I don't know about cuba and N. Korea but Pakistan and now Iran are certainly playing this game as well. I know there is internet access in Iran but just recently they announced they were going to ban several thousand sites. China doesn't allow access to news sites such as CNN but I don't know all the details. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
shiner Posted November 21, 2003 Author Report Share Posted November 21, 2003 (edited) I see, if there is an affective way to control (limit) access, they probably have some. But I imagine controlling access for so many people for so many sites is pretty hard. The mirror is a cool idea. Edited November 21, 2003 by shiner Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted November 21, 2003 Report Share Posted November 21, 2003 Well, they can do it if they have control of the main arteries of information flow. They have that control since the communication infrastructure is probably not private or it is highly controlled. You can't do much about satellites but with wires and fiber optics, all they have to do is monitor and filter things at those main arteries that enter and leave the country. Now if someone dials out of the country into a foreign ISP, I don't know how they can restrict that but it probably will not be hard to detect. So that will scare off most regular people which is probably what they want to control anyway. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted November 21, 2003 Report Share Posted November 21, 2003 I know for sure there is Internet Access in Cuba. Very restricted. One of my friends was in Cuba with a film crew(he was just the stills photographer) and he had access to send us pics and emails. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted November 21, 2003 Report Share Posted November 21, 2003 What happened on the blockage of google in China? Is it still blocked? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted November 21, 2003 Report Share Posted November 21, 2003 North Korea also has access to internet. I knew someone from there who was boasting of their breed of communist ideology and trying to convince me and others how good it was and how bad the rest of the world is. He was showing us a website that had all that propaganda info - all I remember was most of the website was in red color. This was in '97 or '98 I think. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.