Jump to content

Armenak

Members
  • Posts

    816
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    2

Everything posted by Armenak

  1. His name is actually Aram Avedikian, not Abkazian. The Armenians in Abkhazia and some of the older Armenian communities in the North Caucasus were Western Armenian speakers (notice how the boy's surname is Avedikian) even though they have been instructed in standard Eastern Armenian or become monolingual in Russian since the Soviet period. See this study by the Abkhaz linguist Viacheslav Chirikba. He says the Abkhaz Armenians' Hamshen dialect is slowly dying out.
  2. Armenak

    THARR Tar

    I believe the Soviet Union's primitive designations of culture and cultural heritage is at the root of all of these cultural conflicts. Nowhere was this policy carried out more vehemently than in Azerbaijan, which itself is perhaps a product of Soviet historiography. The only reason their tantrums (and pseudo-history) are tolerated by some in the West is due to petrodollars. Let me guess, the word tar comes from "Azerbaijani Tatars." Edit: We can apparently no longer write in Armenian Unicode? Please fix this! Sorry tried to fix but the Armenian text disappeared.
  3. Arpa, I didn't want to make your blood boil all these years later, but... http://www.agos.com.tr/haber.php?seo=ayp-pen-kim-ermeni-alfabesinde-farkli-sesler-1-aralik&haberid=3618
  4. Armenak

    ARMENIACA

    Does this work for archived posts as well? Archived posts used to have the quote boxes but last time I checked, they didn't.
  5. Armenak

    ARMENIACA

    I agree with you, Arpa. Not a fan of the new format at all. I miss the quote boxes.
  6. American ambassador to Israel... what a headache that job must have been. The U.S. really wants a completely "Western" Caucasus, doesn't it?
  7. This is a very pernicious form of diplomacy. Azeris are buying political support and appear to be targeting developing countries since they seem to think their political leaders wouldn't be above it.
  8. So the gutless BBC has stopped putting the term genocide in scare-quotes and has instead opted for scare-apostrophes?
  9. Actually, I'm pretty disgusted with Zakaryan's comments myself. This should be compulsory viewing for him and his sexologists:
  10. Oh, he's Catholic? I thought he said he was raised Protestant and converted to Buddhism. He's a little confused. Is phantom our very own Humbert Humbert(ian)?
  11. Armenak

    Samantha Power

    She'll probably stress that she's a politician and arguments for genocide recognition and intervention are relics from her good old days in academia. Remember Condoleezza Rice? http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Condoleezza_Rice
  12. Does anyone know about renowned French-Armenian historian Raymond Kevorkian's upcoming history The Armenian Genocide? Its Amazon entry says it will be released on January 11, 2011 and includes a couple of blurbs (it received a positive review in Le Monde). It also says the book exceeds 1,000 pages, which might explain the $50+ price. Have any of our French members (like Louise) read it yet? How does it compare to Dadrian's work?
  13. If his postings are so offensive, then why is he still allowed to keep a journal here? Is there some sort of a contract? Not sure what you mean here.
  14. I guess Baliozian would characterize this guy as "Ottomanized." See here: http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=222052
  15. From Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf: "And people would say, 'Clarissa Dalloway is spoilt'. She cared much more for her roses than for the Armenians. Hunted out of existence, maimed, frozen, the victims of cruelty and injustice (she had heard Richard say so over and over again) – no, she could feel nothing for the Albanians, or was it the Armenians? but she loved her roses (didn't that help the Armenians?) – the only flowers she could bear to see cut."
  16. Armenak

    Comedistan

    Have you become a born again Christian?
  17. He actually wants to attach his name to the Azerbaijani historiography? I guess he really does hate Armenians.
  18. It's the funniest trend: Eastern European and post-Soviets want to be "European" and go out of their way to prove their European-ness, while the Western Europeans want to be anything but.
  19. Where's Shahan Araradian when you need him?
  20. Armenak

    Aghet ala Deutch

    Aritman is the same woman who was insinuating that Abdullah Gul was Armenian a few years ago. Maybe Davutoglu is too (Davitoglu?!).
  21. Armenak

    Where is everyone?

    My first post of 2010! Yay! I honestly think this forum started losing its steam when Armenian newspapers got all Web 2.0 and started allowing comments sections and such. And then there is that horrible Facebook.
  22. I think this art critic for The New York Times could be Armenian? He could be Persian, but I'm thinking Armenian from Iran. He has written about Armenian art before...
  23. An article by Joe Ribakoff, a "Democrat for Israel." Arpa will love this. http://www.examiner.com/x-15391-LA-Eurasia...menian-genocide
×
×
  • Create New...