Jump to content

White House Press Release


Arpa

Recommended Posts

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20040424-1.html

 

For Immediate Release

Office of the Press Secretary

April 24, 2004

 

April 24, 2004

 

On this day, we pause in remembrance of one of the most horrible tragedies of the 20th century, the annihilation of as many as 1.5 million Armenians through forced exile and murder at the end of the Ottoman Empire. This terrible event remains a source of pain for people in Armenia and Turkey and for all those who believe in freedom, tolerance, and the dignity of every human life. I join with my fellow Americans and the Armenian community in the United States and around the world in mourning this loss of life.

 

The United States is proud of the strong ties we share with Armenia. From the end of World War I and again since the reemergence of an independent Armenian state in 1991, our country has sought a partnership with Armenia that promotes democracy, security cooperation, and free markets. Today, our Nation remains committed to a peace settlement in the Nagorno-Artsax conflict and is grateful for Armenia's continuing cooperation in the war on terror. By advancing understanding and goodwill, free nations can help build a brighter future for the world. Our country seeks to help Armenia expand its strategic relations with the United States and our European allies.

 

Generations of Armenian Americans have also strengthened our communities and enriched our Nation's character. By preserving their heritage, faith, and traditions, Armenian Americans enhance the diversity that makes America great.

 

I commend individuals in Armenia and Turkey who have worked to support peace and reconciliation, including through the Turkish-Armenian Reconciliation Commission, and call on Armenia and Turkey to restore their economic, political, and cultural ties. I also send warm wishes and expressions of solidarity to the Armenian people on this solemn day of remembrance.

 

GEORGE W. BUSH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This terrible event remains a source of pain for people in Armenia and Turkey and for all those who believe in freedom, tolerance, and the dignity of every human life.

Does anyone understand the above quote?

"a source of pain for people in Armenia and Turkey"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be overestimating Bushs intelligence. :lol2:

Domino, haven't you yet graduated from that sickening idiocy of yours?

 

What did your intelligence tell you when you read the Canadian resolution? Isn't what has been written above somewhat better than the one that caused you jumping up and down like a happy goat on his last journey to a butchery?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be overestimating Bushs intelligence. :lol2:

Yes, Arpa. I do understand, for example.

 

There is no question that the Armenia Genocide is a source of pain both for Armenians and Turks. Perhaps for different reasons and in different ways, but the fact is that the mere allegation of Genocide causes pain to many Turks ( and I have met many of them) who either know that it is true or think that it could not have happened and they are being slandered.

 

There are sure also those who know it is true and it doesn't cause pain to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Domino, haven't you yet graduated from that sickening idiocy of yours?

 

What did your intelligence tell you when you read the Canadian resolution? Isn't what has been written above somewhat better than the one that caused you jumping up and down like a happy goat on his last journey to a butchery?

Look Martin, I answered Sips joke by a joke. You assume there was any intention in my post, when there was none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look Martin, I answered Sips joke by a joke. You assume there was any intention in my post, when there was none.

You know, Domino, I just get tired of this idiocy - whether joke or not. People whose intelligence can be questioned most easily and dissected usually are the ones first questioning others' intelligence. And I don’t mean to be personal.

 

Don’t you guys get tired spewing venom and garbage day-in day-out? Don’t you have anything better to do or if you want to do something good, is there no other way to do it but turn everything into sleaze ball? What is it that you want in your lives? Do you aspire for anything? Or does it reinforce your self-importance by going out and contaminating the environment with verbal diarrhea? Is it the fact that internet is a special media which makes one to be so irresponsible and repulsive or are all these people the same xxxx in real life, as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, it is a false assumtion.

 

I was not talking about the subject for a long time, the subject just "returned" with the Canadian motion, I was absent for quite some time. Furthermore, I am not the one questioning others intelligence here. Just making a joke on ones intelligence, is hardly enough to be labeled as someone questioning others intelligence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, it is a false assumtion.

 

I was not talking about the subject for a long time, the subject just "returned" with the Canadian motion, I was absent for quite some time. Furthermore, I am not the one questioning others intelligence here. Just making a joke on ones intelligence, is hardly enough to be labeled as someone questioning others intelligence.

As I said, I am not trying to make a personal comment. I am just raising a question for all the activists of this forum.

 

Does this forum have any good purpose? Or is it a venue for bringing up any issue and stimulating endless masturbations with no apparent result or dignified purpose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do you propose Martin?

Why should I propose something for you, Domino? Isn't it time that you grow up, graduate to the next level and decide for yourself?

 

I think I have observed you on the Internet for about four years, now (Correct me if I am wrong.). Sure, you have come long way since I saw you first time. But isn't it time that you ask yourself what is it that you want to do with your time and life? Or do you want to go around-and-around, chewing the same gum, which has long turned into piece of rubber?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My question concerned the forum, not me. Thanks for your input about me though. I will take it into consideration. :)

Nor I want to propose anything for the forum. If I have proposals, I have better places to make them.

 

My question is for others to think not for me to provide answers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't actually think that HE writes them do you?!

 

Speaking of which, did you know that his brother Gov. Jeb was in Armenia in 1988.

See below,

http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/research/paper...0/90051701.html

Probably written by committe, after extensive internal consultation, by people who don't care anything about the subject, intended to be noncommittal and offending no-one and ended up offending everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The core question here is, in a world of sound-bites and 10-second attention spans, what is more relevant ... the obscure text of a resolution or the headline that it is going to generate and propagate through the extremely efficient dissemination mechanisms we now have in place?

 

In other words, how many MJ's are there really in the world?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think he could even if he tried. The sentences are far too organized both semantically and syntactically to have been uttered but that moron Bush. And yes, MJ, I am questioning that idiot's intelligence and my questioning is reaffirmed each and every time he opens his mouth to try to utter something resembling a coherent thought.

 

That makes me a sleaze balling idiot? So be it! However, as noted above, Bush is quite irrelevant to this tread.

Sip,

 

I am too annoyed with this topic and this forum to pick an argument up or engage.

 

If I have made an impression that I am calling you personally a sleaze-balling idiot, I apologize. I don’t think you are an idiot, and I don’t think that your material, of all other things here, was the one to trigger my reaction. My comment, in this particular case, was more related to the general atmosphere of this forum than any particular individual. However, your last reaction leads me to an observation that you experience some feeling of hidden guilt. But that is besides the point. And I don’t care what you think about this or other individual or official. That is a matter of personal liberty even under the worst-case scenario.

 

When I pay a quick glance at this forum, with rare exceptions, I feel disgusted by its low quality materials, general sleaze-balling atmosphere, the repulsive sentimental drivers behind most of the postings, the infinite masturbations on irrelevant or long chewed-out topics, lack of consistency and coherence of thought, lack of purpose but to kill time, and so on. I remember days when it was a better place. Now, it has become a place for adolescents and those experiencing their second adolescence. But even that could have been done with better taste and purpose. Now, if this is some kind of private forum not representative of Armenia and Armenians, I don’t care. Every one has the liberty to say whatever garbage he/she wants. But when it is the outlet, when a simple Googling brings it up to the top of the list, I would expect that there should be some responsibility for what is being said here, or better, with what quality. You know, it is like the Symphony Orchestra of Armenia coming to perform in the Carnegie Hall within the framework of the week of Armenian Culture, and performing “Hye em yes, hye es du.” What do you think would a normal Armenian feel. Will it be attributed to the freedom of the artistic expression?

 

Now you tell me what the purpose of this forum is and why the total lack of its quality control, please, and then I will finally understand, maybe, that I should not stick my nose in here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... However, your last reaction leads me to an observation that you experience some feeling of hidden guilt.  But that is besides the point. 

I did delete that post soon after posting it as I soon realized it had no bearing on anything. But thank you for the clarification and I realize this is a very sensitive subject for many.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did delete that post soon after posting it as I soon realized it had no bearing on anything. But thank you for the clarification and I realize this is a very sensitive subject for many.

You can delete my post, too, if you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I am concerned, constructive comments are ALWAYS welcome around here. It's no secret that especially recently most of us (members and moderators included) have stepped up the bar and have taken a much more proactive role in filtering crap. The place is far from perfect but still I maintain one of the best forums of its kind anywhere on the web. Being the best doesn't mean much on the absolute scales but what's more important is that is it on the up-slope now as opposed to the down-slope of a few months ago. What shape the slope will have only time will tell.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just want to share a experience I had a while back, well about a week ago.

 

I was out with my "friends" and the subject of the "genocide" was brought up by me just to see if I should start talking about how life really is like outside the "Matrix".

 

Anyways, out of the 5 Armenians (2 Paskahye, 1 American Hye, and 2 Armenians, which includes me even though I am a Paskahye I am ashamed to call myself one) only 2 of the individuals present really gave a rats a$$ (The 2 Armenians, which includes me).

 

The 3 remaining Armenians excuse not care was the same as most members on these boards, which is that "life is not fair live with it", however, if the same tragedy were to happen to their families they would not be so "forgetful" and "naive". They relied extensivly on the whole "inevitable" crux argument, which most of the board members on this forum also share as a decisive factor in not contributing to anything in life other than for their own gains.

 

So I asked these 3 "so-called" Armenians, but yet also "so-called" Americans due to the fact by the same token they do even contribute to the welfare of their adopted new motherland, If they would die for America or do anything significant for it? Their reply was "no, we would not because we were not born here", but yet I asked them if they would die for Armenia or Iran since they have some relation with those countries and again the answer was the same.

 

Which leads me to ask myself do we need these people in the Hye or American population? I mean think of it like this they do not want to do anything for anyone besides themselves, now, I do not mean they should give up their day jobs and dedicate their time to a charity or somthing, but at least once a year they can dedicate themselves to make the world a more humane place.

Edited by Vigil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I'm wrong but I think the context in which the Mr. President of 'this' country is concerned about the 'pain' in Armenia and Turkey has to do with the thread initiated by Phokas about the Holocaust denial.

 

Indeed 9/11 was truly a tragic incident (technical malfunction I guess) that caused suffering both to Americans and Arabs, and I pray that those two brotherly nations embrace peace and work towards improving their long neglected business relations through abolishing visa restrictions, opening the borders and their mutual commitment to the Old Testament.

 

:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I'm wrong but I think the context in which the Mr. President of 'this' country is concerned about the 'pain' in Armenia and Turkey has to do with the thread initiated by Phokas about the Holocaust denial.

 

Indeed 9/11 was truly a tragic incident (technical malfunction I guess) that caused suffering both to Americans and Arabs, and I pray that those two brotherly nations embrace peace and work towards improving their long neglected business relations through abolishing visa restrictions, opening the borders and their mutual commitment to the Old Testament.

 

:rolleyes:

So... was it a genocide?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...