Jump to content

Info About Our Two Churches


Maral

Recommended Posts

If I word any of this incorrectly ,please excuse me.

We have one religion...2 churches...one is headed in Etchmiadzeen,Armenia and the other in Atilias,Lebanon...so far I have it right? :)

and I hear they are 'backed' by different political groups...and in essence that is the ONLY difference?...is that correct also?

I live in a town with a very small Armenian community...recently I was drafted to pull these Armenians together and help start a church we can have once a month and a saturdayschool for the kids..I don't mind...I was pretty sure I'ld have tons of help...last week was our first get together here at my house...I invited all the Armenians I knew...the priest came and he told us what the plans were,had a great discussion..had dessert...they all left...the next day I find out that 3 of the people I had just met,but was very impressed with will not attend any of this churchs funtions because they are from the 'other' church.

I am absolutely disgusted and dissapointed.

But to each his own.

I don't want any arguements or insults to either side.

Is there anyone who can explain to me what this big difference is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very sad reality. I had a friend who refused to go to a certain church with me. She would only tell that she doesn't go to that church and put up a stern face as she mentioned about it. I was new to the country and it seemed very strange. Then I realized it has to do with her being a Dashnak, she went to a Dashnak church and encouraged me to go there too. To this day I don't quite know what church belongs to who and don't want to know, it is quite sickening. Maybe a third, independent, non-partisan and pure church should be started.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I right in thinking that in America, in the 1950s and 1960s, the Antilias (Cilician) churches were considered to be more "American" and "acceptable" because the Etchmiadzin churches were considered to be under the possible influence of the Soviet Union?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steve, that's what I have heard too.

And if it's true, then isn't it ironic than America used the Cilician Church in exactly the same way as the Ottomans had used it - as a counterweight against the Etchmiadzin Church which was out of their jurisdiction and direct control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So that's all it is...I knew that,but wanted to see if I was being too simplistic...it's really quite disappointing.

It's so anti productive to have this way of thinking.

NO wonder we can't get anything done  :rolleyes:

Maral et al.

You may have heard this anecdote.

If it was not sad it would be funny.

 

Armen Aarartian became filthy rich selling Turkish carpets, apricot from Izmir and basturma from Kayseri. When he retired he decided to have his own country, he bought an island in the Pacific Ocean and named it Hayastan. He built a complete city with roads and traffic lights, a fantastic palace, a hospital, a university. a theater, an opera house, a sports complex complete with all the frills and an olympic size swimmimg pool, and more. The island fast became a tourists paradise. One question that puzzled most tourists was; he had built ONE of everything except that there were TWO churches, one each at either end of the isand.

To the question why TWO churches he would answer;

"You see that church at that end of the island? That is the church I DON'T go to"

:rolleyes:

 

Just as in the case of Ani, the City of One Thousand and One churches, most of the churches being built now are are sponsored by people like the one in the above anecdote. The reasons may be many. Such as a ticket to heaven, in memory of a loved one, to see one's name in the media, adulation and admiration of the public or just plain partisanship

Edited by Arpa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So that's all it is...I knew that,but wanted to see if I was being too simplistic...it's really quite disappointing.

It's so anti productive to have this way of thinking.

NO wonder we can't get anything done :rolleyes:

Maral,you absolutly right...God is ONE,and we need only ONE church :huh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the correct way to put this is that we have mostly one religion. One national church but two catholicosates with the clear understanding that Etchmiadzin has primacy over Antelias. Unlike some believe, there have been two cathlicoi since the XV century, hence this is unrelated to the deep schism that appeared in the Armenian diaspora right after the AG and that has persisted in some form until these days.

 

I think many are aware of the assassination of Archbishop Tourian in New York, 1933 over political issues. This happened inside a church just to show how daring some fanatics can be. It is widely regarded, even though I am not quite sure if this is correct or meaningful, as the key event in the so-called split. I think it is more appropriate to call it the hijacking of part of the church for political reasons. After this period it was very common to be called "garmir" (Red) by people from the splinter group even if you just minded your business, maintained your Armenian identity but otherwise refused to take part in violence and other fanatical acts.

Edited by Boghos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...