Sip Posted April 1, 2004 Report Share Posted April 1, 2004 Well, the other day I got tired of having to enter my username and password into my yahoo login page in internet explorer. That page is such that somehow the IE automatic password thing doesn't work. So after doing a bit of searching and a bit of trial and error, I decided to write a VBS script to automate it. I save the file as a .VBS file, make a shortcut to it in windows XP, and assign a hot-key sequence to that shortcut. Now, whenever I get to the yahoo screen asking me to enter my username and password, I just hit the shortcut key and it's DONE I figured I'd share the content of the VBS file in case someone else finds it useful too: Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") WshShell.AppActivate "SBC" WScript.Sleep(500) WshShell.SendKeys "{tab}+{tab}your_username" WshShell.SendKeys "{tab}your_password{tab} {enter}" The first line simply creates a shell object to get this started Then we activate the application with the "SBC ..." in the title. My IE browser has that title when yahoo is asking for a password. Then I wait for 1/2 a second because I hold down control-alt to hit the hotkey. If I don't wait in the script, the control and alt will still be pressed when this script sends the keys to the browser app and it won't work. The tab and shift-tab (note + is shift) sequence was needed for some reason to put the browser in user input mode. The rest should be self explanatory. The space enter after the password selects a checkbox to remember my ID on the computer and then ok's the login. Click here for the reference on the sendkeys command on the MSDN website. Needless to say I have been VERY happy with the outcome! I now log out of yahoo on purpose just to log back in like this! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gevo27 Posted April 1, 2004 Report Share Posted April 1, 2004 good job sip.. but for me its much easier.. i never have to sign in from my computer :P lol.. its alllllll there everytime i open my browser,.. which is not IE its opera Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted May 13, 2004 Report Share Posted May 13, 2004 (edited) Hi everyone, Guys is it secure to delete everything in a Temp folder? I'm having trouble with Quick Time on my Windows XP. Looks like they are not compatible. And the Windows Error message that come up every time I open the Quick Time says that there is something wrong with a file in Temp folder. I want to delete everything in Temp because I'm fricked out! I can't open my Power Point graphs without QT's some decompressor feature that our "advanced" professor used in his slides. Help! Edited May 13, 2004 by ArmenSarg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 13, 2004 Author Report Share Posted May 13, 2004 Yah you can safely delete anything in temp. Also, you may want to run a full disk check from "My computer" on your desktop ... righ click my computer, then "manage", then in "Disk Mangement", right click on each disk (like C:, D:, ...), "properties", and under the "tools" tab you can do "check now". Some disks will ask you to reboot in order to check. The other method is to type "chkdsk /F" in the command prompt (start->run->cmd). Note that /F will fix potential errors. If you are worried about the contents of temp, copy it to another folder and delete in a few days. But there should be nothing there that is needed unless you put it there yourself. Also note that there are several temp folders. The standard ones are: C:\windows\temp C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp where user can be your login name, administrator, or any other login name you use on the PC. I have not had any problem with quicktime under windows XP so if you uninstall and reinstall, it should work fine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted May 14, 2004 Report Share Posted May 14, 2004 Thanks a lot Sip jan but it didn't work. I think QT is in disagreement with some other media like WM or Real Player. It is QT 6 Pro? Can this be the problem? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 14, 2004 Author Report Share Posted May 14, 2004 What's the problem with it? I only use the regular one that's free. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted May 14, 2004 Report Share Posted May 14, 2004 OK, now I get it. It's compatible with everything except Windows XP When I right click it there is a window that deals specifically with compatibility and there is no Window XP there. You can select Windows 95, 2000, Me etc. but no XP. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 14, 2004 Report Share Posted May 14, 2004 Try to download a new version of Quicktime for XP - choose the version you need at THIS link. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted July 10, 2005 Report Share Posted July 10, 2005 a quick way to disable right click on the web page. <html> <head> </head> <body oncontextmenu="return false;"> Right Click is Disabled </body> </html> http://www.devx.com/DevX/Tip/28564 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted July 11, 2005 Report Share Posted July 11, 2005 a quick way to disable right click on the web page. style_images/master/snapback.png But why harut? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted July 11, 2005 Report Share Posted July 11, 2005 But why harut? style_images/master/snapback.png i see absolutely no reason, but some people are obsessed with it... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hytga Posted July 16, 2005 Report Share Posted July 16, 2005 (edited) i was thinking of making a function that generates unique order id, aside from the autonumber that the dbs usually create, so i wrote this little code in asp. Private Function Rand(Low,High) Randomize Rand=Int((High - Low + 1) * Rnd) + Low End Function Private Function GetUniqueIDWithTimeAndIP(Time_,IP_1,IP_2) on error resume next Dim IP,ID,Array_,Array2_(),i,tempstr,blnSwitch if IP_1=IP_2 and len(IP_1)>0 then IP=IP_1 elseif len(IP_1)>0 then IP=IP_1 elseif len(IP_2)>0 then IP=IP_2 else IP=Rand(100000,1000000) end if IP=Replace(IP,".","") if not IsNumeric(trim(IP)) then IP=Rand(100000,1000000) ID=Time_ & IP ID=replace(ID,"/","") ID=replace(ID,"\","") ID=replace(ID,":","") ID=replace(ucase(ID),ucase("AM"),"") ID=replace(ucase(ID),ucase("PM"),"") ID=replace(ID," ","") ID=replace(ID,".","") if cint(len(ID)/2)<>len(ID)/2 then ID=ID & Rand(1,9) if IsNumeric(ID) then for i=1 to len(ID) step 2 tempstr=tempstr & mid(ID,i,2) & "." next if right(tempstr,1)="." then tempstr=left(tempstr,len(tempstr)-1) if left(tempstr,1)="." then tempstr=right(tempstr,len(tempstr)-1) Array_=split(tempstr,".") If IsArray(Array_) then redim Array2_(ubound(Array_)) blnSwitch=false for i =lbound(Array_) to ubound(Array_) step 1 if blnSwitch then Array2_(i-1)="-" & Array_(i) end if blnSwitch=not blnSwitch next blnSwitch=true for i =lbound(Array_) to ubound(Array_) step 1 if blnSwitch then Array2_(i+1)=Array_(i) end if blnSwitch=not blnSwitch next end if ID="ORD" & Join(Array2_,"") GetUniqueIDWithTimeAndIP=ID else GetUniqueIDWithTimeAndIP="" end if End function you call the funciton like GetUniqueIDWithTimeAndIP(now(),Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR"),Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_HOST")) anyway if you guys know a better method, share it the output looks something like this ORD-6271-5100-7422-3319-3817 Edited July 16, 2005 by hytga Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted May 21, 2006 Report Share Posted May 21, 2006 nothing major, but... type 'systeminfo' in command prompt... gives you 'system up time' among other information, which the 'system information' gui excludes... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 21, 2006 Report Share Posted May 21, 2006 nothing major, but... type 'systeminfo' in command prompt... gives you 'system up time' among other information, which the 'system information' gui excludes... Hmmmm - doesn't work for me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted May 21, 2006 Report Share Posted May 21, 2006 Hmmmm - doesn't work for me you've got to be on a WINDOWS machine for it to work... ok, seriously... what doesn't work? the command? or the 'system up time' is not there? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 21, 2006 Report Share Posted May 21, 2006 (edited) you've got to be on a WINDOWS machine for it to work... ok, seriously... what doesn't work? the command? or the 'system up time' is not there? 'systeminfo' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file I'm running XP Home SP2 (on this machine ) Edited May 21, 2006 by vava Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted May 21, 2006 Report Share Posted May 21, 2006 I'm running XP Home SP2 (on this machine ) your 'path' might not include 'c:\windows\system32'... other than that, i don't know... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted May 21, 2006 Report Share Posted May 21, 2006 Not a big deal anyway - if I really need to figure out my system up-time, I may actually put a few minutes into it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aSoldier Posted May 22, 2006 Report Share Posted May 22, 2006 The question to you Sip is why are you still using IE? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 22, 2006 Author Report Share Posted May 22, 2006 What's wrong with IE? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aSoldier Posted May 22, 2006 Report Share Posted May 22, 2006 What's wrong with IE? A lot, compared to other browsers; namely Firefox. http://www.humans.com/pages/moz15.shtml http://www.reenactor.net/main_htmls/why_ie_sux.html http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/...ot_my_faul.html http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 22, 2006 Author Report Share Posted May 22, 2006 (edited) All those links say IE is "buggy" but don't say what those buggs are. Then they complain that most websites are written for IE since most people use IE and those sites don't look right on their browser. Then they complain that their websites don't look right on IE because they are too lazy to write a couple of different versions for their favorite brower and IE. So I ask again, what's wrong with IE? I use it all the time and I haven't noticed any "bugs" ... and the speed is just fine. Edited May 22, 2006 by Sip Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted May 22, 2006 Report Share Posted May 22, 2006 you're just not cool if you use IE Sip... Actually I use IE 95% of the time as well. I have NO issues with IE at all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted May 22, 2006 Author Report Share Posted May 22, 2006 I think most "bugs" people complain about in IE are development and website rendering "problems" (differences from specs?) ... from the user perspective, IE is as solid as any other piece of software that I have used. The "bugs" (all software have bugs) probably get exploited a lot more and are more easily found since so many people use IE ... but I don't think that necessarily indicates IE is not a good browser. Plus people just like to complain about Microsoft in general even though in the last few years they have produced some really high quality stuff. I have firefox and opera and might use them on occasion to try my own website or browse a bit (they might let you save some things pics/videos more easily than IE for example) but since all websites have to be IE compliant anyway (otherwise they are "broken"), I just stick to IE Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aSoldier Posted May 23, 2006 Report Share Posted May 23, 2006 Well, for instance, you would not have to worry about making a VBS file to automatically login to your yahoo account with FF. I personally prefer FF because of the tabbed-browsing & safety Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.