GuitARA Posted February 28, 2004 Report Share Posted February 28, 2004 Barev ahmen een, I have been listening to a CD titled 'Sayat Nova', peformed by Hakop Khalatian, and another disc titled 'Armenian Melodies, music from the soul', performed by Khatchatur Avetissian. I fell in love with the beautiful, simple melodies. I was wondering if anyone knew of other musicians or CDs out there, with a minor (sad) type of mood/sound, slow meditative/hypnotic kinda stuff. Btw, what is this instument called ? ... it's like a cross between a sitar and violin, played with a bow like a cello (with a peg on the bottom to rest on the ground)it's about 2-3 feet in length ... Merci Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angel4hope Posted February 28, 2004 Report Share Posted February 28, 2004 yes.. nune yesayan---she sings alot of sayat nova's songs..and has a beautiful voice- i was at her concert a few months ago--it was great-- i also have her cd- im sure if you check it out youll like it--she sings alot of armenian folk music but with a slight modern tone to it... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Arpa Posted February 28, 2004 Report Share Posted February 28, 2004 Barev ahmen een, ======= Btw, what is this instument called ? ... it's like a cross between a sitar and violin, played with a bow like a cello (with a peg on the bottom to rest on the ground)it's about 2-3 feet in length ... Merci You mean the knee viloin aka Kamancha/Qamancha? Observe; And thank MosJan. http://www.duduk.com/Arm-music-ins/index.html Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Proud EXPAT Posted February 28, 2004 Report Share Posted February 28, 2004 (edited) angel4hope you do PR for Nune? GuitARA I would not recommend her if you're looking for pure soulful Armenian music played on Armenian and other ethnic Middle Eastern and Asian instruments, her arrangements are a little too modern and electronic. All the Khatchatur Avetissians albums I have heard are awesome. His music is mostly used in Armenian Folk Dance Groups. It's perfect to listen to and reminisce about Armenia, that's if you've been here. Edited February 28, 2004 by Proud EXPAT Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GuitARA Posted February 28, 2004 Author Report Share Posted February 28, 2004 (edited) I should have described what I am looking for a little more clearly ... What I'm looking for is something old (REAL old), no electronic instruments, really simple ensemble like flute/violin, kamancha (merci Arpa, link-ee hamar) and bass/drums/percussion, just instrumentals (no vocal) nothing upbeat like dance music. Merci Edited February 28, 2004 by GuitARA Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Proud EXPAT Posted February 29, 2004 Report Share Posted February 29, 2004 GuitARA, Khatchatur Avetisian's music is perfect for what you are looking for. The majority of his music is instrumental, using kanon, duduk, kamancha, shvi, and other anceint instruments. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
koko Posted March 3, 2004 Report Share Posted March 3, 2004 I have a few good armenian folk music recordings if anyone is intrested please contact me. attaching of those files didint work... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
GuitARA Posted March 4, 2004 Author Report Share Posted March 4, 2004 I have a few good armenian folk music recordings if anyone is intrested please contact me. attaching of those files didint work... Hi Koko, I just PM'd you, please check. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pilafhead Posted April 17, 2004 Report Share Posted April 17, 2004 I should have described what I am looking for a little more clearly ... What I'm looking for is something old (REAL old), no electronic instruments, really simple ensemble like flute/violin, kamancha (merci Arpa, link-ee hamar) and bass/drums/percussion, just instrumentals (no vocal) nothing upbeat like dance music. Merci A lot of releases on the Traditional Crossroads label are excellent and I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them. http://www.traditionalcrossroads.com/ Everyone should own the CD they put out of Komidas himself singing and playing piano. http://www.traditionalcrossroads.com/image/4275.jpg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gurgen Posted April 19, 2004 Report Share Posted April 19, 2004 Nice website Pilafhead, a lot of good music there waiting to be discovered. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.