Vigil Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 (edited) The "So-Called Genocide" ...when will it stop. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3383631.stm Edited May 31, 2004 by Vigil Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Yah a very true "western" nation Wonder what scared them so much about that movie . I just don't understand the logic ... don't they realize that pulling a movie like this is going to shine the spotlight DIRECTLY on it? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armo77 Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Speaking of that movie.. My opinion it was pretty weak, and poorly done. I had some Odar friends over watching that movie. I figured I could let them learn some of my culture.. We ended up falling asleep a quarter way through the movie. Then I was ask "What does that guy being gay have to do with this movie". Oh well.. I figured the event and material could make it a good movie, but I was wrong. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gamavor Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 That is before you have been castrated or after? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armat Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Speaking of that movie.. My opinion it was pretty weak, and poorly done. I had some Odar friends over watching that movie. I figured I could let them learn some of my culture.. We ended up falling asleep a quarter way through the movie. Then I was ask "What does that guy being gay have to do with this movie". Oh well.. I figured the event and material could make it a good movie, but I was wrong. There is much written about this movie pro and con. Well Egoyan was being just himself considering all his other films.I was not bored but not impressed either. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 There have been many, many threads analysing the pros & cons of the film Ararat. Just look HERE for a list of threads. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armo77 Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 That is before you have been castrated or after? oh here is the deal.. I have been a member of many Forums in the past... Some good some bad, some armenian, some not.. But this has to be the RUDEST forum I have ever came across. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vigil Posted January 11, 2004 Author Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 (edited) Ararat in my opinion was a good movie for its budget, but we are not talking about Ararat as a movie. The point of the thread was to talk about the implications of this actions and the negative reaction it will bring towards the Turkish Government. Edited May 31, 2004 by Vigil Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Egoyan has been going around whineing about the cutting of the "rape scene" by Turkish censors. Saying things like "as an artist I can't condone any cuts on the movie at all. The imagery that it shows is so carefully considered, any attempt to change or delete moments is reprehensible." Given that there are at least 4 different English versions of the film, of different lengths and with some scenes ommitted, I wonder where his "artistic integrity" went to on those earlier occasions. Armo - I'd guess the gay character was written in just to upset Turks. There is no other plot reason for the character to exist. Steve Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Egoyan has been going around whineing about the cutting of the "rape scene" by Turkish censors. Saying things like "as an artist I can't condone any cuts on the movie at all. The imagery that it shows is so carefully considered, any attempt to change or delete moments is reprehensible." Given that there are at least 4 different English versions of the film, of different lengths and with some scenes ommitted, I wonder where his "artistic integrity" went to on those earlier occasions. Armo - I'd guess the gay character was written in just to upset Turks. There is no other plot reason for the character to exist. Steve Four version? I have seen 2 versions, know about a possible third one, but didn't knew there was a 4rt. BTW, The first version I saw the day it was out was the most artistic... there was a micro on the top of the scenes poping up to show that in fact it was a movie in the movie etc... this version was taken off and I was never able to see it again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gamavor Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Armo - I'd guess the gay character was written in just to upset Turks. There is no other plot reason for the character to exist. Steve, you continue to amaze me. As a historian you should know that turks for long have been famed for their homosexualism. Even to this day they have folklore about it. Turks were famous ( I guess to this day) for their 'love' of young boys and all kinds of sado-mazo. Touching upon a 'cultural' aspect of the turks in such an innocent way is just truthful expression. I know after being in bed with turks for so long you are hesitant to face some cold real facts but this is what it is. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Four version? I have seen 2 versions, know about a possible third one, but didn't knew there was a 4rt. I was assuming that the 2 dvd set was a fourth version - but as you have clarified elsewhere, it isn't! Though I suppose there will eventually be a "director's cut" edition which will count as a fourth version. And there are probably plenty many more versions in foreign language cuts - I seem to remenber reading that a lot of cuts were made for the singapore release. And there will be TV versions as well. So Egoyan is being very selective in his objections. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Steve, you continue to amaze me. As a historian you should know that turks for long have been famed for their homosexualism. Even to this day they have folklore about it. Turks were famous ( I guess to this day) for their 'love' of young boys and all kinds of sado-mazo. Touching upon a 'cultural' aspect of the turks in such an innocent way is just truthful expression. I know after being in bed with turks for so long you are hesitant to face some cold real facts but this is what it is. Traditionally, in Turkey, such a thing as an open homosexual relationship would never have been tolerated , and outside of major cities and the more hedonistic of the Aegean resorts, would not be tolerated today either. Generally, throughout the Islamic world, men have regarded wives are merely creatures for bearing children and doing housework. If men wished to have a sexual encounter then they either visit a prostitute or, if one is not available, pay a visit to their nearest male friend. And if the latter option was taken, even though both men were committing waht we would call "homosexual acts" neither party would regard themselves as being homosexual. I suspect a similar situation would have existed in traditional Armenian society, and probably still survives in some areas. So the intended offense is to make the Turk openly homosexual, and engaged in the sort of relationship that a man and a woman would be in. Steve PS - don't you worry about the "in-bed-with" thing - that's been over for a long time. That's the sort of worry you should be directing at Winston, since he's been practicing it more recently than me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 I suspect a similar situation would have existed in traditional Armenian society, and probably still survives in some areas. ...though for Armenian men there was always a ready supply of willing sheep. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gurgen Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 You've been watching Woody Allen too much He has a bad influence Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 You've been watching Woody Allen too much He has a bad influence Though that sheep was rather cute! I wonder how they cast it - did they go around farms looking for an especially attractive one, or advertise? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 ....and what went on on the casting couch! Daren't think about it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gurgen Posted January 11, 2004 Report Share Posted January 11, 2004 Bah Woody Allen should be hung for giving Armenians a bad name Do you know why he's so pissed off with Armenians though? He lost a chess match (correspondence chess) from an Armenian Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
joseph parikian Posted January 12, 2004 Report Share Posted January 12, 2004 oh here is the deal.. I have been a member of many Forums in the past... Some good some bad, some armenian, some not.. But this has to be the RUDEST forum I have ever came across. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/traurig/sad-smiley-044.gif how old you said you are???? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vika182 Posted January 13, 2004 Report Share Posted January 13, 2004 whats with woody allen and armenians? did he make a movie about them? oh and to steve dont tell me u have no clue about turks kidnaping boys for sex especially in the crusades Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted January 13, 2004 Report Share Posted January 13, 2004 whats with woody allen and armenians? did he make a movie about them? oh and to steve dont tell me u have no clue about turks kidnaping boys for sex especially in the crusades DO a search and look up the films he has made! The same film with the huge free-roaming breast, and mad sexologist, and nervous sperm, and hundreds of pink bunnies, and men who like to wear their wife's clothing, and psychiatrists who run away with their Armenian patient's sheepish lover! Well, someone had to make such a film. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.