Jump to content

Blackout


vava

Recommended Posts

They say it was caused by lightning ... this is obviously a SERIOUS flaw in the design of the grid ... I had been seeing different reports in the past few years that the grids are very vulnerable (especially during the california power crisis) but this is just rediculous.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

as long as my air-conditioning is not effected I do not care. :)

 

Yeah! Me too!

Except that HyeForum was off the air for a few hours.

 

Very few of us remember the Big Blackout of the Northeast in 1964.

 

Read the following and get a bonus.

Click on her biography and get a surprise if you did not already know.

 

http://www.arlenefrancis.com/gs1.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is not only a deja vu it is also so eerie.

 

Speeking of eerie, it seems like the whole thing started in Erie County NY in Niagara Falls. And now the Canadians are balming the Americans and visa versa.

A couple of days ago I went to work and I sensed something was amiss. The place was dark, to make it short, it turns out they had had a power meter blow up. Some blamed it on moisture. I spent the whole day manning the phones explaining the situation. We finally got power back at 9PM.

All day I was thinking of how helpless we have become, how dependant we have become, that we cannot even blow our noses without some hi tech gadget.

It also reminds me when some years ago we had a mini-outage and we lost power for about 36 hours(others were out for weeks), that my wife plugged the coffee maker .... and after about a half hour when she realized it was an electric percolator she said;"Oh simple! I'll just make coffee on the range". I did not say anything until she put a pot of water on the burner and turned the knob... of an electric range... :):):) Fortunately we had just installed a wood burning stove in the basement.

 

Back to basics!!??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Ah, I am used to the blackouts even in elevators (one of the realities in TR).

 

But I saw that Busht and his government have made the Americans paranoid. Peope think that there will be an attack in a single misfortune. But they don't think that they would be a better target situationed as crowds on streets.

 

The funny side for me is;

 

In the advertisement of Cola Turka, there was an Texasian-American man(David Brown, English) drinking C.T. in a coffee shop. And he was using Turkish words in English sentences (e.g : kiss choluk chocuk* for me) and the other man (Chevy Chase) had tough times understanding him. The generic lyrics were "when drank Cola's Turka, that famous American dream got Turka "

* choluk-chocuk : wife and children

 

They've got Turka for 1 day (as if it's something good)

 

The blackout in USA was a good item for humorists in Turkey.

 

Actually, the previous blackout had happened at night, there were looting (as in Iraq) and something figured out 9 months later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...