DominO123 Posted July 22, 2003 Report Share Posted July 22, 2003 Here I start a thread about impressions of the day, but impression that have to do with science. Since I come always with posts. "Domino is wondering"I had the bright idea to post one thread, and answer it each time I wonder about something. So, here is my impression of this day. Imagine that only this little fraction of moment is the only virtual reality, and the past and future are even not a virtual entities. We live in this moment and we are stationary, in fact nothing moves, but we think everything moves because this illusion of the past has been changed and our brain recorded this change. Suppose that I am at 50 Km from home, I think I walked there, but what if I always were 50 Km from home, and the only reason I think I walked there is because of my brains memory and the other observers one that have recorded something that never happened. The biggest argument to reject such a theses, would be that the moment changes, now I am in the house and later I will not be, and that objects that I have moved attest to that fact. But if where I am is indeterminated, and that I have no real position in space and time, if I am only a Quantum superposition, with all those possibilities, what if new "me" were created in every seconds with the creation of new Universes, what if there is infinit numbers of "me" having taken other decisions, moving from Universes to Universes? What if, 5 billions from now, when our Sun will Eat our Earth, we just found out of of those superpositions, and move in an Earth waiting this same superlocality, on a possibility of this Earth where it just has been formed? What if our civilisation has started in a virgin Earth possibility, where noehumans from the possibility of a future came from the first billion of years of its formation to have a new earth to populate? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 23, 2003 Report Share Posted July 23, 2003 Okay. here is mine. XML SUCKS. SQL RULES Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 23, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 23, 2003 Okay. here is mine. XML SUCKS. SQL RULES I hope that has nothing to do with what I asked you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 23, 2003 Report Share Posted July 23, 2003 Not unless you are soem big wig at Honda. Nope, nothing to do with you, just work Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 23, 2003 Report Share Posted July 23, 2003 I've always been fascinated that mathematically, you can have a room which can be filled with paint (finite volume), but whose walls cannot be fully covered with paint (infinite surface area)!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted July 23, 2003 Report Share Posted July 23, 2003 one thing i don't understand... why do people disable right-click on web pages? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MosJan Posted July 23, 2003 Report Share Posted July 23, 2003 one thing i don't understand... why do people disable right-click on web pages? Lav enq anum !!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 one thing i don't understand... why do people disable right-click on web pages? Exactlly, sometimes I just want to choose options like properties to know about the format of something, its address(when the page is framed), and I can't do that. I mean, why not just disabling the save as or copy option on the right0click insted of the entire right-click. No matter what, I will probably do the same thing if I were to upload something. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 I've always been fascinated that mathematically, you can have a room which can be filled with paint (finite volume), but whose walls cannot be fully covered with paint (infinite surface area)!!! I suppose you are talking about mathematical functions such as something like: f(x,y) = (1/x^2) + (1/y^2) Where the zeros are assymptotic and go to the infinit, while the volume would be finit. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Harut Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 i mean, if they want to protect the images, the user can view the source of the page and find out the address of the image and download it, or even simpler look in the temp folder. if they want to protect the text, then the user can press ctrl+C...wait!!!actually, as i was typting this, i realized that i didn't know this stuff 3 years ago. and i image neither do millions of others who use internet. so, ok, go ahead disable the right-click. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 i mean, if they want to protect the images, the user can view the source of the page and find out the address of the image and download it, or even simpler look in the temp folder. if they want to protect the text, then the user can press ctrl+C...wait!!!actually, as i was typting this, i realized that i didn't know this stuff 3 years ago. and i image neither do millions of others who use internet. so, ok, go ahead disable the right-click. Harrut, if I were in the place of those that wants absolutly to restrict someone to copy an image. You know what I would do? I would save it in flash and incorporate it on the page. Now, try to find a better way. I guess now Azat or Seaphan will come with a way to copy that as well. The last thing would be to save it in PDF, encrypt it, take off any options to copy save or do whatever, even restricting to print it. There is still the screenshut left. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Harrut, if I were in the place of those that wants absolutly to restrict someone to copy an image. You know what I would do? I would save it in flash and incorporate it on the page. Now, try to find a better way. I guess now Azat or Seaphan will come with a way to copy that as well.Yah it's trivial ... especially in windows. Just press print-screen and paste into your favorite image editing program. That's what I do all the time ... it's faster than saving the file anyway. You cannot protect ANYTHING that the user will get to see, hear, experience. Anything that our senses experience can be "recorded" (since obviously we cannot experience protected/encrypted crap). You can make it "difficult" for the average user but only annoy the more advanced ones. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 My impression is that if someone spends a lot of time with the computer, picking one should be like choosing a wife. But I am getting tired of shopping for a computer. Maybe you could help me out guys. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=42163&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=42163&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=38115&rd=1 I have been using a pretty annoying computer who I don't love anymore, so I thought why not reward myself with a nice piece of creature. I don't really need all the power but its nice to have. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 (edited) My impression is that if someone spends a lot of time with the computer, picking one should be like choosing a wife. But I am getting tired of shopping for a computer. Maybe you could help me out guys. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=42163&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=42163&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=38115&rd=1 I have been using a pretty annoying computer who I don't love anymore, so I thought why not reward myself with a nice piece of creature. I don't really need all the power but its nice to have.I would say none of those 3. If you are ready for a little adventure, buy them all pieces by pieces and build the comp. of your dream. Even my first PC(beside the 486 crap that doe not count ), I have chosen every pieces of hardware. If you don't want to build it yourself, the place you would buy it usually will do it.(But I never trusted these idiots, plus there is nothing better than opening the box of the videocard or motherboard yourself, and smelling the odour of new hardwares) Give me how much you want to pay, I will tell you what to get. Edited July 24, 2003 by Fadix Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Among those, I'd go for the first, unless that $150 is going to make/break you. For that extra $150 you get a DVD burner and a better monitor. Just keep in mind that you may have to get a DVI cable to connect the LCD to the computer for best quality ... they may just give you an analog VGA cable which will not give you the best image quality. Otherwise, the first and the second are awesome machines. I don't think it's worth building it piece by piece ... too much hastle ... unless you WANT to do it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 (edited) You can trust me, I just burned few videocards(they didn't liked a voltage increase(for overclocking) ), 2 motherboards, scraped one HD(that one was not my fault), burned a Duron processor(This one was just an experience, a bet with a friend. ), broke an old Celeron 400, I just drop it, I used crazyglue to glue it and sent it where I bough it and changed it with a new one(still on warrany). Oh yeh, I forgot the other one, I had one ASUS motherboard that was pass dated but still in waranty, the product was discontinued, and since another time it worked when I sent another one in waranty(one of those I scraped, and they sent me a new one), I decided to burn it in order to replace it to what I believed will be a new revision version, or another more recent model. I took a 12 Volt transformer, took the two wires and played with them by touching them on the weldings?(is that what we call them) and chips connectors, on the chipset, everywhere I could. That thing really refused to burn, I could have increased the voltage but I was afraid that a spark will give a clue on what I did or something. I played and played, and retried it worked again etc... it took me about 30 minutes to be able to burn it. After cleaning it, I just sent, after months I recieved the replacement, a used one with a revision version older than what I have sent them. I don't know why I am saying all this. Anyway, I think now you will trust me. Edited July 24, 2003 by Fadix Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Among those, I'd go for the first, unless that $150 is going to make/break you. For that extra $150 you get a DVD burner and a better monitor. Just keep in mind that you may have to get a DVI cable to connect the LCD to the computer for best quality ... they may just give you an analog VGA cable which will not give you the best image quality. Otherwise, the first and the second are awesome machines. I don't think it's worth building it piece by piece ... too much hastle ... unless you WANT to do it. Usually they build it where you buy it, but I won't trust the persons that does it, they really don't care the way they build it, static electricity etc... I do worst with my machines, but they are mine, I would prefer to know what they have endured rather than ignoring what happened to my hardwares. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 You can trust me, I just burned few videocards(they didn't liked a voltage increase(for overclocking) ), 2 motherboards, scraped one HD(that one was not my fault), burned a Duron processor(This one was just an experience, a bet with a friend. ), broke an old Celeron 400, I just drop it, I used crazyglue to glue it and sent it where I bough it and changed it with a new one(still on warrany). Oh yeh, I forgot the other one, I had one ASUS motherboard that was pass dated but still in waranty, the product was discontinued, and since another time it worked when I sent another one in waranty(one of those I scraped, and they sent me a new one), I decided to burn it in order to replace it to what I believed will be a new revision version, or another more recent model. I took a 12 Volt transformer, took the two wires and played with them by touching them on the weldings?(is that what we call them) and chips connectors, on the chipset, everywhere I could. That thing really refused to burn, I could have increased the voltage but I was afraid that a spark will give a clue on what I did or something. I played and played, and retried it worked again etc... it took me about 30 minutes to be able to burn it. After cleaning it, I just sent, after months I recieved the replacement, a used one with a revision version older than what I have sent them. I don't know why I am saying all this. Anyway, I think now you will trust me. Oh I forgot the 60 Gb HD I just scraped 2 weeks ago. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 (edited) Thanks guys. Sip, why is the monitor of the 1st one better than the 2nd? (edit: i guess because of the digital connection for Nec?) I thought Dell is a good brand. No? But good point about the cable, I never knew that. I hope it is not expensive.Originally I wanted to get the first one because of DVD burner, but strangely it doesn't have speakers and a floppy drive. The other has nice speakers and floppy. If I add up the difference it is more than to buy a DVD burner ( $180 or less). So that is why I am not sure. Otherwise the 1st and 2nd are identical. Domino, looks like you had a lot of adventure with all those computers and hardware. I have never built a computer and will probably not build one anytime soon. That would only prolong the pain for maybe $100-200 gain. But if something goes wrong there is only yourself to blame and that is not nice. If you buy one it will come with a warranty, and you can blame others But if you like the touch and smell you can always visit a computer store , they will let you touch and smell videocards and motherboards Edited July 24, 2003 by Sasun Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Sasun, the first one comes with an NEC monitor which is a very respectable brand. The second one, labeled "dell", could be anything ... I think they make some of their own stuff. From what I have read on the web, it's a decent LCD monitor so it shouldn't be a problem either way you go. The Dell one is about $100 less than the NEC one if you were to buy them separately. About the speakers, Altec Lansing makes AWESOME speakers. However, I would go for a 5.1 system (with the 5.1 decoder) as opposed to the 4.1 that comes with that second PC. 5.1 will be MUCH better if you plan to watch DVDs on it. Otherwise, just get a cheaper pair of speakers (2.1) ... the 4.1 will be good if you play a lot of games. In the end, it's a tossup between the first and second among those three. McFarti, do you want me to start listing all the parts and components I have messed with? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 24, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Sasun, building your computer when you have all the pieces takes not more than 30-45 minites, the accidents that happened to me was never during building the computer, but later when I messed with pieces. For example, my 60 Gb was scraped because I leave a tower opened, and since I add HD from one computer to the other, exchanging files, I've just connected and placed the HD in a 90 degree with the floor, while I was moving my legs, I felt a resistance on my legs, I though it was wires, I forced and accidently I just kicked the HD while it was working. It is not dofficult to build your computer, trust me on that, Videocards can only be put on their AGP slot, and nowhere else, PCI cards, only there. The most precise task is the processor, these days the two plastic things supporting the metal holder are too fragile, I scraped everything, but never I broked one of those plastic things, but I know many did because they were not careful. If you do what you should, you would have no problem monting the processor. The adventage is not prize(not really anymore), the adventage is really to pay for what you want, pieces for pieces, you go at videocard sites, you read the options, the benchmarks, the driver issues, and you chose one you want, even the RAM has brands, you chose the mother you want, the mouse and keyboard, the screen, everything. After you chose them, you go at a store, if you don't want to build it, they will do it, but believe me, there is nothing in building it, you are not building a radio, you are just mounting them. As for the waranties, motherboards have usually 3 years of waranty, the processor if it is not OEM(theses days the prize between the two is nearly the same), you have 3 years waranty, videocard 2-3 years waranty, monitor, 3 years waranty etc... You see, no matter what you have the waranty. You never visited some internet sites, and said to yourself you want that screen? That videocard? That keyboard? That mouse? If you want to pay, at least pay for what you want. You go home, and after 30-45 minutes you have the computer of your dream, you would even chose the tower. Think about that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Sasun, building your computer when you have all the pieces takes not more than 30-45 minites...Wow that must be record time! It takes me at least 7-8 hours to put one together. It takes about 1-2 hours just to install the OS. Then assuming you have updated the BIOS on all flashable components, you still need to go find and download all the latest drivers which could take another hour easily. This is 7-8 hours assuming everything works and you don't have any conflicts. I would allow at least ONE full day to assemble a PC from parts (including time needed to stress test). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Sip, good advice indeed. Well, the second one is gone. I can buy the first one or search a little more. Domino, you sound more convincing now. But the thing is, I don't know what exactly I want for each of those components (But good to know they have warranties). If I see something I will say I want it or not. Also to buy all those components you have to shop online most likely. That's a headache, especially that I know little about specifications. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sasun Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 Sasun, building your computer when you have all the pieces takes not more than 30-45 minites...Wow that must be record time! It takes me at least 7-8 hours to put one together. It takes about 1-2 hours just to install the OS. Then assuming you have updated the BIOS on all flashable components, you still need to go find and download all the latest drivers which could take another hour easily. This is 7-8 hours assuming everything works and you don't have any conflicts. I would allow at least ONE full day to assemble a PC from parts (including time needed to stress test). Well-well, even more difficult than I thought. Yes, the OS thing - I really wouldn't want to mess with that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 24, 2003 Report Share Posted July 24, 2003 To clarify, I think putting PCs together is a great thing to do! So I wasn't trying to knock down Domino's suggestion. However, I have realized that it's not the way to go for most people. If you only want to do it to save money, it's not a good idea. If you enjoy it as a hobby and like to tinker with things, mess around with all the little details, and really get into the guts of your machine, then it's the way to go. Now for someone like Domino who has done is many many times, it's almost a "fun" process. But much like anything else, there is a big learning curve associated with your first few times which may make it a frustrating (and sometimes expensive) procedure to put together a functional PC. Here's my thoughts on buying name-brand PCs ... if you shop around and get an idea of the normal price range for the PC you want (with almost the same specs), then it's a no brainer. PCs, especially things like Dell, HP, etc have very little profit margins on them so any new thing you buy will be a good deal ... especially if you are not buying the top top top of the line. Usually the top of the line stuff is what they can afford to charge a bit extra for. The rest, they are just trying to move out of their warehouses since as you know, computers are HORRIBLE things to have sitting somewhere.. their value drops VERY quickly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.