DominO123 Posted July 19, 2003 Report Share Posted July 19, 2003 I am having hard time finding an option, if there is any, to search words from their first letter. Lets say typing "A" and Word pointing me to those words, and it would be good if it ignores that usual repeated words like "and" etc... Since writters uses word to write, I supposed they must be some sort of such option to build an index, but I have hard time to figure it myself. If there is no option, is there a way to do that with a macro or something? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
vava Posted July 19, 2003 Report Share Posted July 19, 2003 Do a serach for Ultra-Lingua. It is a dictionary that behaves much like you describe - it might be tha easy answer.... I really don't bother playing too much with MS Office.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 19, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 19, 2003 (edited) I think vava, my post was not so clear, what I mean is, finding those words that have been used in a document. I have a work which I want to add an index of names and places, but I don't want to search all of those words starting with an A etc... in the whole document, so I am searching an option, where I could type A for example and it will find those words starting with an "A" and than doing the same for the other letters. I could then decide which words I want to reject and which I want to include in the index. I hope, I have been more clear now. Edited July 19, 2003 by Fadix Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 20, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 20, 2003 No one knows? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Garo Posted July 20, 2003 Report Share Posted July 20, 2003 Here's the simplest way to do that without any macros or 3rd party editors.Using Word you can replace all occurances of 'space' character into paragraph mark then sort the text in ascending order. Since you're looking for names I assume that they are capitalized so by sorting them you'll have all these words plus the first words of every sentance listed before all the other words in the text. Just copy these capitalized words into somewhere, remove unneccessary words and you'll have all the names listed in ascending order. Hope this will work for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 20, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 20, 2003 Thanks Garo, that's a very good idea, I am surprised that Word don't have such build-in option. But I may as well use other words in the index that are not names, but are important as well, so this way would not work. Still it will be easier to just search those insted of all of them. Is there a plug-in for Word, or another program, where I would import Word text or copy past them, and they will do that? I have searched on the internet and was without success. I mean, writters have certainly a way to do that, or a program. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I will do that, if I don't find any other ways. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 20, 2003 Report Share Posted July 20, 2003 Fadiushka, check and see if this works out for you http://69.39.194.68/Azat/temp/wordcount.html Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 20, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 20, 2003 Ehe. A program written by Azat? Well, it does not reject the most common used words, but could do something with it, the problem is that I pasted the entire thing in it, and it just bugged, can't take long articles... I guess 92 pages was a little too much for it to handle. So I am forced to do that bit by bit. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 21, 2003 Report Share Posted July 21, 2003 hmmmmm. well 92 pages is too long... Do you want me to write a Windows app for you to do it? I think 92 pages may work in that one? BTW: I did not write that code. I just copied it from somewhere and adopted it for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted July 21, 2003 Author Report Share Posted July 21, 2003 If that is not to much asking why not? Since I will be using it for other articles as well. Is it possible to include an option where I can decide which words to exclude? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.