Jump to content

Opinions needed ... Armenian on the web


Sip

Recommended Posts

Well, this "idea" has been bugging me for a couple of years now. I want to get your opinions on if it is worth pursuing. I have been thinking about finding a way of displaying arbitrary text using arbitrary fonts on arbitrary browsers without the need to install ANYTHING special (i.e. no special language settings, fonts, etc). I can see a lot of value if someone figures out a good way to do it.

 

The goal is to make it easy to make text readable in different languages. Note that this is NOT a translator. Just a tool to display text in different fonts in browsers. The characters are mapped one by one. So for example when we type things in Armenian using english characters, this tool would simply convert it to an html page that would use Armenian characters

 

So here's my first crack at it. It's just meant to be sort of a "proof of concept" or a prototype to see if there is any reason to pursue it further. Please let me know what you think ... it is FAR from perfect and the texts aren't supposed to mean anything. Note that test2 and test3 get pretty big in size so modem users may have trouble ... that's the kind of feedback I am looking for.

 

So here are a few sample TEXT files in English:

 

Test 1 (small)

Test 2 (medium)

Test 3 (large)

 

Here are the "translated" (characters mapped to armenian) versions in Armenian:

 

Test 1 (Armenian) (small)

Test 2 (Armenian) (medium)

Test 3 (Armenian) (large) (~400K... modem users, don't even think about it!)

 

Oh, by the way, if I ever get this thing in a good usable shape, I plan to release it into the public domain (i.e. I am NOT looking to make money !!!)

 

Also, feel free to laugh and me and make fun if you think it's a dumb idea or if there are better ways to do it (if there are, let me know!!!). Don't worry, I make so many dumb statements during the day, there is no way you can hurt my feelings

 

[ May 01, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Sip ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No I haven't optimized anything. So far, things are very very simple. The html is also not optimized in any way ... just loading a ton of images! I suspect that for long texts it may not work too well but for short things ...

 

I am also thinking that for combinations of letters that occur frequently, I could make special images. That could cut down the html size a lot. I would have to do some "optimizing" for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sip,

It worked fast for me as well, but my guess is that you convert every letter to an image so the it will not be the connection speed that would matter but the RAM on computers. However I think the image sizes would be small enough to not make a diff.

 

I think it is a great idea. Good work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...