Sip Posted June 4, 2006 Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 http://s93725736.onlinehome.us/sip/misc/emap.jpg It is with great saddness that today I discovered my trusty eMap is no more This little gadget has been everywhere with me in the last 6 years ... from the Sieras in California, to the deserts of Arizona, high plains of Utah, the top of the Rockies in Colorado, under sea level in New Orleans, close to the arctic in Alaska, plowing through the buggs in Nebraska, up and down the West Coast, up and down the north east states, the heart of the capital in DC, the top of the Empire State Building, all around the Midwest in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota ... and even into the hearts of the European cultural centers in Rome and Paris ... Unfortunately when I saw it working last, it was floating in 6" of water ... in all the 110F+ sun, wind, dust, dirt, sub zero temperatures and the abuse throughout the years, this thing had NEVER missed a beat. It was always there to tell me where I was and where I was going. But I think it's time to say goodbye ... may the saved way points and tracks, along with all the amazing moments we shared, stay burned in the compact flash of my eMap for eternity. It will surely be missed! On a better note, I've got a much better one on order that is waterproof this time. It will not be an eMap but life must go on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MosJan Posted June 4, 2006 Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 Tsavaktsum em Sip jan Kyanq@! qez Lini Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted June 4, 2006 Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 Tsavaktsum em Sip jan Kyanq@! qez Lini hehehehhee Vai Sip, only you would write such a beautiful eulogy for a piece of hardware. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted June 4, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 Thank you thank you ... but just to clarify (my brother asked), 6" of water does NOT mean it fell in the toilet. It was in the back of the boat that was taking on some water (very windy day). I don't take my GPS into the bathroom anymore. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Takoush Posted June 4, 2006 Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 So Sip after you wrote a eulogy as such for your Emap; I wonder what you are going to do when your high speed computer dies? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ExtraHye Posted June 4, 2006 Report Share Posted June 4, 2006 I don't take my GPS into the bathroom anymore. Now why would you take your GPS to the bathroom? Afraid of getting lost? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aSoldier Posted June 5, 2006 Report Share Posted June 5, 2006 So what have you replaced it with, Sip? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted June 5, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 5, 2006 I think I am going with the Garmin 60csx ... it's waterproof down to 1 meter for 30 minutes and has a lot of nice features. Best of all, it takes microSD cards for more maps. Unfortunately you have to buy the maps separately ... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted June 9, 2006 Author Report Share Posted June 9, 2006 (edited) At this point, all I can say about the 60 CSx is WOW ... I've only had it for a day or so but WOW. Now the only thing that remains to be seen is if this thing is going to be as reliable as the eMap. The only other thing is that Garmin as a company has seriously turned to be gay. It's almost impossible to figure out what software will work with what GPS and why there are so many versions and what unlock code is needed for what GPS. Their software is soooo damn expensive and you can only activate each like twice. Fortunately my old maps that I bought several years ago and don't require any of this activation crap work just fine. If you read their website you would think you have to spend a ton of money on the new maps but you really dont. The gps can't do auto-route with those old maps but who cares. I can do my own damn routing Edited June 9, 2006 by Sip Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.