nairi Posted May 18, 2004 Report Share Posted May 18, 2004 Gams started a thread a while ago on bards. I didn't even know this one existed. I was looking for something completely unrelated when I came across this name by accident. Here's the site (you can download mp3s as well!!): http://www.bergeturabian.com/ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ED Posted May 19, 2004 Report Share Posted May 19, 2004 Nairi, Gem, Thank you, as I'm spechless to say what a fresh breath of air this is, indeed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted May 19, 2004 Report Share Posted May 19, 2004 I had a friend whose last name was Turabi. When I asked her if it meant anything, she said it was Arabic for earth, soil (or "of earth, soil" - not sure). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stormig Posted May 19, 2004 Report Share Posted May 19, 2004 Then again, looking at his name... T'yourabyan... Probably unrelated. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nairi Posted May 19, 2004 Author Report Share Posted May 19, 2004 I don't know. Tyur means wrong. Tyurabar means wrongfully. Anyway, glad that some people enjoyed the music Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Armen Posted May 19, 2004 Report Share Posted May 19, 2004 He communicates the mood and the culture of 60s central Yerevan. Although I was not around in 60s I came to know this culture through my parents' friends. He resembles them. You don't see much of this people in Yerevan anymore. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Arpa Posted May 19, 2004 Report Share Posted May 19, 2004 I had a friend whose last name was Turabi. When I asked her if it meant anything, she said it was Arabic for earth, soil (or "of earth, soil" - not sure). Yes, turab does mean earth/soil/hogh in Arabic. However considering that many words and names have been transliterated and corrupted in time. i.e thanks to Polsakan orthography where da and tho, be and pe are interchanged, one may also want to look into the possibility that it may have been Dyurabian once based on "dyur/easy/pleasant". But then again how do we explain "ab" which in Persian and at times in Armenian (as in Zohrab and Gullab) means water. Easy water? Naaah! How about pleasant water? Upon further reading we find one explanation on the origin of "dyur/easy/dorr". If dorr means the opposite of "andorr" as in peaceful then it may mean dorr-ab, i.e. stormy water. In fact, according to Ajarian "dorr" does actually mean easy/pleasant/peaceful, in this this case the "an" as in "andorr" is not a negative prefix. You know me! I will stretch it to the breaking point just to show that it is purely Armenian and not Arabic, or Aramazt mi arastseh, Turkish. :) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.