Yervant1 Posted January 24, 2015 Report Share Posted January 24, 2015 Dispatches from the Field from Paul Salopek http://outofedenwalk.nationalgeographic.com/files/2015/01/Salopek-Genocide1-990x742.jpg Out of Eden WalkBy Paul SalopekNational GeographicJanuary 23, 2015What We Talk About When We Talk Aout Genocideby Paul Salopek[with photos]Ani, Turkey 40°30'41" N, 43°34'06" E`It was a--how do you call it in English?--a genocide? Yes? It was agenocide,' says Murat Yazar. `My grandmother told my mother about it.'My walking guide and I are wandering through Ani.What is Ani? It is the ruin of a vanished world in modern Turkey: theremote and beautiful site of a forgotten civilization--the1,100-year-old capital of a once powerful empire. Relics of this SilkRoad city lie scattered across the sky-hammered mesas of farnortheastern Anatolia. Broken cathedrals. Rotting ramparts that defendnothing from nothing. Empty boulevards that go nowhere. We roam thiscolossal diorama of stillness, of eerie silence, Murat and I, as ifpainted into a Dali dreamscape. We are talking about the disappearanceof Armenians from the region.http://outofedenwalk.nationalgeographic.com/files/2015/01/Salopek-Genocide2-1024x768.jpg[broken arch: a relic of ancient Ani on the closed Turkey-Armeniaborder. Photograph by Paul Salopek]In 1914, about two million Armenians lived in what is today Turkey.They were a Christian minority under Muslim rule. Their historyreached back thousands of years. By 1922, just 400,000 remained.What happened to more than 1.5 million people? Most were killed,historians say. They were targeted for extermination. They weremarched into waterless deserts at bayonet point. They wereslaughtered.`My grandmother said they locked all the Armenians near the EuphratesRiver into some houses,' Murat tells me. `Then they took them out atnight and pushed them into the river. They drowned them.'It was eight months into World War I. Europe had begun to cannibalizeitself. The multicultural Ottoman Empire was dying in terrible spasms.The Ottoman Turkish majority--whipped up by nationalist leaders andenraged by the mass deportations and massacres carried out by formerChristian subjects against fellow Muslims in the crumbling fringes ofthe state--wreaked revenge on their ancient neighbors: minorityAssyrians and Greeks, but mostly Armenians. They accused the Armeniansof being infidels. Of disloyalty. Of siding with the empire'sencroaching foes (the Russians and colonial Europeans). The knife handin this enormous crime? Local Kurds. Kurds shot and hacked Armeniansto death en masse. Kurdish gangs tore into refugee columns of starvingArmenian women and children. Kurdish villagers seized Armenianproperty--abandoned farms, flocks, and homes.We have been walking through the dim echoes of this calamity, Muratand I, all the way across Anatolia. We seek shade in derelict housesof Armenians--homes overgrown with trees, with weeds. We pass sturdychurches converted to mosques. We skirt walnut orchards planted longago by the victims. Murat broods about this. He is a Kurd. I see himgrappling with history, with a legacy he cannot imagine, with thehaunted landscape.`Once, I apologized to an Armenian man in Istanbul,' he tells me. `Itold him I was sorry for what my ancestors did.'And how did the man react?`What could he say?' Murat says, shrugging. `He said, `Thank you.''We stand in a cold wind. A big sign at the entrance to thearchaeological ruins of Ani describe its long story. The text statesthat the ancient and sprawling metropolis flowered under Bagratiankings. The Bagratians were Armenian. Nowhere is the word `Armenian'written.* * *It has been dangerous for many years in Turkey to describe whatoccurred in 1915 as a genocide. Turkish judges have deemed this termprovocative, incendiary, insulting, a taboo. Turkish writers andjournalists who deploy those three syllables can face charges ofslander against the Turkish state. One has been assassinated byultra-nationalists.There is an official version of events. It goes like this: TheArmenians suffered, this is undeniably true. Yet they were just one ofmany ethnic groups who felt the heavy blows of the imploding OttomanEmpire. Their destruction was neither extreme nor systematic. It was awar. And violence coursed both ways: Armenians perished, but so didTurks, at the hands of rebellious Armenian mobs. Yet this narrowreading of history has begun to show some cracks. In April, Turkey'sthen prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, became the first Turkishleader to express formal condolences to the descendants of Turkey'sArmenians, who today live scattered across the globe. He spoke,carefully, of the two peoples' `shared pain.'Walking through the Kurdish hinterlands of Anatolia, one senses thatordinary citizens are far ahead of him.`We fought the Armenians, and many died,' says Saleh Emre, thewhite-haired mayor of Kas Kale village. `I think this was wrong. Theybelonged here.' Emre pauses. He sweeps a gnarled hand over the housesof his tiny community. `This land used to be owned by an Armeniantrader. My father's uncles bought it cheap.' He allows this detail tosink in. Then he ticks off the names of nearby Turkish towns that oncewere dominated by Armenians: Van, Patnos, Agri. No Armenians livethere now. He stops short of using the word genocide.The old man peers east across rolling sunlit plains, acrossbrass-colored pastures, across grassy paradise blighted by memory,toward the nearby country where some survivors fled. `I would likevisit to Armenia,' Emre says. `Armenians were our neighbors.'* * *The scene: a church courtyard in Diyarbakir, the cultural capital ofTurkey's Kurds.Sourp Giragos is the largest Armenian church in the Middle East. It isnewly renovated, mostly with donations from the remnant Armeniancommunity in Istanbul. It is a monument to hope, to reconciliation,one of a few such gestures taking root in the Kurdish zones ofAnatolia in a hundred years. (In a distant town called Bitlis, theKurdish mayor has named a street after William Saroyan, theArmenian-American writer.) People bustle about under a massive belltower. They are sweeping fallen leaves. Serving coffee at outdoortables. Chatting. Some light candles. A few are Muslim. Most areArmenian Orthodox Christians. Aram Khatchigian, a caretaker, has beenboth.http://outofedenwalk.nationalgeographic.com/files/2015/01/Salopek-Genocide3-1024x682.jpgCustodian of memory: Aram Khatchigian in the rebuilt Sourp GiragosArmenian church in Diyarbakir, the Kurdish cultural capital in Turkey.Photograph by Murat Yazar.`Until I was 15, I believed I was a Muslim, a Kurd,' Khatchigian says.`After that, I started to feel a change in my heart.'He explains how he excavated his hidden past. How he learned that hisgrandfather, a boy of 12, and his grandfather's younger sister, a girlof 9, were actually Armenian--the only ones in their immediate familyto survive the killing fields around Diyarbakir, where a `pungentsmell of decaying corpses' filled the air. The boy and girl hid undera bush until a Muslim Kurdish farmer took them in, saving their lives,caring for them as his own children, giving them his name. Theyconverted to Islam. `All Armenians still living did this,' Khatchigiansays. `They would be killed otherwise.' Then a man stalks up to ourtable. He has been listening.`Do you recognize the genocide?' he demands. He looks into my eyes.I am conducting an interview, I tell him.http://outofedenwalk.nationalgeographic.com/files/2015/01/Salopek-Genocide4-1024x682.jpg`I don't care,' he says. `Do you or don't you recognize the genocide?'For some Armenians, this consuming question has become everything--thelynchpin of a national struggle, almost of a modern identity: Turkeyand the world must finally acknowledge that a true genocide, legallydefined, unfolded in Anatolia. Vast amounts of energy and money arepoured into this lobbying campaign by millions of Armenians in thediaspora. (At least 21 countries now officially accept the Armeniangenocide as fact. The United States and Israel, valuing diplomaticties with Turkey, aren't among them.)Armenian-American author Tomani Meline describes the suffocatingeffect of this bitter political debate on her life:`To some Armenians, recognition means reparations from Turkey: to thetrue zealots, land; to the slightly more pragmatic, money. To most, itsimply means the official usage of the word genocide. To me, it cameto mean that I could no longer stand to attend any Armenian gathering,because it seemed that whether it was a poetry reading, a concert, oreven a sporting match, it was always, ultimately, about the genocide.'At the church in Diyarbakir the stranger sits down at our table.He repeats his question again. And again. Khatchigian stares down athis shoes, embarrassed. I lay down my pen. We wait.[`I don't care. Tell the world I'm Armenian.' But she changed hermind, and here in Dyarbakir she did not want her face to bephotographed. Photograph by Murat Yazar.]* * *A giant red Turkish flag flutters above the archaeological site at Ani.The city's ancient ruins toe the ledge of a canyon. On the other side,within easy walking distance, lies the small Republic of Armenia.Nobody ever crosses. The border between the two nations has been shutfor years by mutual suspicion and hostility. Ani is a dead end.We strike out, Murat and I, heading due north.We tug our brave cargo mule across sodden winter fields around Kars, aTurkish city that in the 1890s was 85 percent Armenian. Murat asks itsstartled residents if any Armenians yet remain. A Turkish citizen, anda minority Kurd wrestling with his own questions of culturalendurance, Murat always asks. I watch him plod head, interrogating thepast for answers. A lanky man, wistful, questing. With a camera slungover his parka. Black Anatolian mud cakes under his boots. I can onlyshake my head in wonder.Killers or victims, there are no chosen people. There are simplypeople. And the dead. And what you do with your pain tells the worldwho you are.http://outofedenwalk.nationalgeographic.com/2015/01/23/what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-genocide/ 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.