Sip Posted July 16, 2002 Report Share Posted July 16, 2002 Since this forum is so quiet, I thought I'd post about vmware (www.vmware.com) if you have never heard of them before. Their software, can emulate a whole "virtual" PC in which you can install and run basically any operating system. This means, you can run linux under windows, windows under linux, windows XP under windows 2000, or even both linux and windows 2000 under windows XP !!! Possibilities are limitless. Their performance is VERY good. I have used the software for a couple of years now doing different things. You can switch between different operating systems, without the need to reboot! Each "virtual" vmware machine can be assigned a chunk of ram for its own use. Each can have it's own IP address and be on the network (sharing whatever network card you have on your PC) or use NAT (network address translation) to basically share your PC's IP address. I have even ran web servers in linux "guest" machines running in windows xp (as a vmware virtual machine). It is just an amazing piece of work with a lot of useful features. It is perfect for someone who wants ot mess around with linux for example, but doesn't want to screw around with partitions, formatting, dual booting, and other headaches. The vmware virtual machine simply uses a file on your hard disk to "emulate" a hard disk partition for the guest operating system. Anyway, there are tons of other details about it so if anyone is interested, just ask or check out their website. Note: I have NEVER been affiliated with VMWARE so even though all of what I said probably sounded like a bad commercial, I just said it since I have been VERY impressed with them and I think their software ROCKS!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 16, 2002 Author Report Share Posted July 16, 2002 Here's a screen-shot of my desktop. You can see Mandrake 8.1 running in a window under Win 2k. Click on the pic to see the full-size version: http://zr2.cs.ucla.edu/Sip/zr2/Sip_screen_lo.gif Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 16, 2002 Report Share Posted July 16, 2002 How sad. We were able to see about 20 different windows up, yet HyeForum was not visible anywhere. Movses maybe we have to give him a warning for that? In all reality it looks like an interesting package. I had never heard of it. I have a dual boot machines both at home and at work mostly for testing, but every time you need to test in the other OS it takes 10 minutes to switch and you have to close all apps and everything. Certainly worth a try. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted July 16, 2002 Author Report Share Posted July 16, 2002 quote:Originally posted by Azat:How sad. We were able to see about 20 different windows up, yet HyeForum was not visible anywhere. Movses maybe we have to give him a warning for that? ...Well, to my defense, those pics are dated October 27, 2001. That is about exactly 2 months before I joined hyeforum!!! Vmware will be perfect for "testing" ... just basically alt-tab and you are switching OSes !!! oh, by the way, you got PM Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted September 18, 2002 Report Share Posted September 18, 2002 here is some infor for you on VMWARE:http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1001-958538...d&subj=cnetnews Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted September 18, 2002 Author Report Share Posted September 18, 2002 Fascinating! Go through all the trouble of running 12-year-old DOS software using VMWARE and windows as opposed to just rewrite the thing Or most often just recompile the thing with minor changes ... hmmmmm [ September 18, 2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Sip ] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted September 18, 2002 Report Share Posted September 18, 2002 ohhhh, I got to tell you a story. My sister works for a large museum in town and she mentioned yesterday that they are finally going to change all their PCs and application to run on Win2K. I was surprised that they were not on w2k so I asked what OS they were based on. She said that the entire systems of the museum run on DOS. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted September 18, 2002 Author Report Share Posted September 18, 2002 I bet they probably never had to reset those machines though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.