Jump to content

Weirdest/interesting/fun Job


Azat

Recommended Posts

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:

Harut jan, another way to say donkey is ass.


Now I'm getting confused. What does "esh" mean? I looked up the english "donkey", but it doesn't exist in my EA dictionary. Which word in E Armenian should I use for "ass" and what for "donkey"?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by EZ:

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:

Harut jan, another way to say donkey is ass.


Now I'm getting confused. What does "esh" mean? I looked up the english "donkey", but it doesn't exist in my EA dictionary. Which word in E Armenian should I use for "ass" and what for "donkey"?
Dear EZ,

"Esh" means donkey, the animal. It has nothing to do with human body parts. Our dictionary writers are often too well-mannered for their own good and leave out some of the "words that proper people should not use". So I wouldn't be surprised to see such omissions. At the risk of using an improper word, , the other "ass" is "vor" (i.e. used in equally vulgar contexts).

 

On another note, the vocabularies of Eastern and Western Armenian are largely identical (i.e. little need to stress "eastern" or "western"). The difference between the two flavors is mainly in some grammatical rules and pronunciation. Hopefully the soviet-induced differences in orthography will eventually disappear (but no big deal).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by EZ:

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:

Harut jan, another way to say donkey is ass.


Now I'm getting confused. What does "esh" mean? I looked up the english "donkey", but it doesn't exist in my EA dictionary. Which word in E Armenian should I use for "ass" and what for "donkey"?
Why do eshes have long ears?

When god was distributing brains the esh was busy eating gari ev hart. Those are the two things that rot one's brains, specially the water extracted from gari, i.e garejur:) Anyway, it was eshe's turn so god pulled him by the ear (yes, him)aside and said; Qo anun@ esh e! OK. Next day the did not respond to the roll call. god called him aside (again by the ear)and asked him why he had not reponded. It turned he had not recognized his own name. So god told him again; "Qo anun@ esh e, lsir, esh e" whie puling on his ear. This happened several times. Now you understand why eshes have long ears.

Some people say I have long ears too:)

Yes! Esh is the Armenian form of "ass". The other meaning of "ass" is in fact a corruption of "arse".

I think I have written this before, but it's OK, many of us have long ears and busy with other subjects as Genocide etc.

Many think that esh/eshek is Turkish. I thought so for many years. It turns out it is not, it cannot be since it is IndoEuropean while Turkish is not. Esh is the Armenian form of "equus" (a generic term applied to the horse/donkey family). It is derived from the protoIE "ekwos". It can be found in many variations in most IE languages including the English "ass".

 

The next time you call somebody ESHEK don't feel guilty. It is Armenian not Turkish, they took it from us in the form of eshouk/ishouk or eshik (little donkey)except that those esheks seem to be a little smarter than these esheks who are in the habit of rejecting everything that has been polluted by them even if they may have been devout Christian Armenians at one time turkified by force or necessity.

We forget the verse;

"Tur indz dzerq@d, eghpayr enq menq vor mrrkov eyinq zatvatz".

Who said that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...