Arpa Posted September 22, 2002 Report Share Posted September 22, 2002 This is not intended to rain on anyone's parade.During one of my extensive travels I sat down at the table at a local restaurant. The young lady asked me if I liked a drink while my food was being prepared and handed me a list. As it is my motto to "when in Rome do as the Romans do" I asked her if there was a local drink. BTW. When in Yerevan I did the same and the bar tender advised me against it and recommeneded a European brew as according to him the local ones were "vat". He was right. The local beer, I forget what it was, it definitely was not Kotayk at the time, tasted like dishwater.The waitress pointed to an item on the list and I, willing to taste the local asked her to describe it. She said that it was "apricot flavored". Apricot flavored!!?? Did they have the right to infringe on an Armenian trademark? Did they know that the apricot, Prunus Armeniaca is the national fruit of Armenia?? Did they have a license to produce it. No. The brew was neither Kotayk, nor it was Kilikia, it was not even brewed at the Abovian plant. It was made right here, in the good old US of A. It is called the Finger Lakes Apricot Wheat.Check it out. http://www.ithacabeer.com/brew2001.html And please be courteous when advising them that they may have neglected to pay tribute to the holders of the trademark on APRICOT. They may be urged to expand the legend in the discription. Besides, Armenia and Armenians may yet have the trademark on wheat as well.We have the dubious distinction of being the first people to have invented the garejur, or in the least Xenophon is credited with the earliest mention of the art during his travels through Armenia. We also hold the patent on wine as the earliest mention places it at the foot of Mt. Ararat. What a bunch of "alkies"!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellthecat Posted September 22, 2002 Report Share Posted September 22, 2002 On the subject of Armenian beers - does someone know if the beer named "Ani" is still in production - and if so where is it brewed? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
joseph Posted September 23, 2002 Report Share Posted September 23, 2002 Arpa jan how do you know how dishwater tastes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted September 23, 2002 Report Share Posted September 23, 2002 Arpa jan, Apricot Wheat is one of my favorite brews. I also like the raspberry pale ale. But you can only do one or two of those and you get bored. Real man drink Guinness.(i hope someday I can start drinking Guinness as well.) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted September 23, 2002 Report Share Posted September 23, 2002 quote:Originally posted by bellthecat:On the subject of Armenian beers - does someone know if the beer named "Ani" is still in production - and if so where is it brewed?Steve, I have never seen "Ani" beer here. Neither here nor in Amrneia. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.