MosJan Posted October 8, 2001 Report Share Posted October 8, 2001 Bundestag Deputy Speaker Recognizes The Genocide YEREVAN (Armenpress)—The Deputy Chairwoman of Bundestag of the Federal Republic of Germany Antjie Volmer paid a visit to the Genocide Memorial and laid wreathes on the monument to the victims of the Armenian Genocide on Friday. "I laid wreathes on behalf of the Bundestag and all German people. We all were following the visit of the Pope to Armenia and listened to Charles Aznavour, and a few days later I am here and it moves me deeply. We know that it was the first genocide in the modern history and that the Armenian people suffered a great deal. We never want to forget it, and we hope to build a future and new century without such violence," Volmer said. However, several days ago, the Bundestag refused to include the issue of Genocide recognition on the agenda. In response to the question, whether it is possible for Germany to recognize the Armenian Genocide, Volmer said "Everybody in Germany knows about the genocide. Germany holds debates about its own crimes for years. I hope that a dialogue about past crimes will be held between Armenia and Turkey." Volmer also visited the Genocide Museum. The director of the Museum said, the participants of World War I, especially Germany, were the witnesses of the genocide and it is very important they should recognize this as fact. "I am sure that Armenian Genocide will be recognized by Germany, like the other great genocide," he said. "I feel sorry for millions of victims, hoping that the world will prevent such crimes in the future, being convinced that Armenian people will continue to live," Volmer wrote in the visitors' book of the museum. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.