Jump to content

Please Explain The Common & Ideal Dialects


Guest

Recommended Posts

I seen dialects refered to around here in much more scientific terms than Eastern, Western, Russian, Barskahye, etc.

 

Can someone please summarize:

 

-The 3, 4 or 5 or whatever main dialects and what the Armenian linguists call them?

 

-The dialects most common in the US, Glendale, or maybe on Armenian TV shows (particularly the ones shown in the US)

 

-The current spoken and/or broadcasted-printed dialect in Armenia

 

-Finally, which dialect(s) the purists amongst us wish everyone spoke?

 

 

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pilafhead jan,

 

As far as I know, there are two main dialects: Western and Eastern Armenian. Within these dialects are what I would call sub-dialects. Essentially the Armenian my family speaks (Barskahays) is the same as that spoken by Hayastansis, but there are differences, the main one being the amount of Farsi words that we use. In fact, sometimes I have an easier time understanding Lebanese Armenians who speak the Western dialect than I do Hayastansis. This may be due to the fact that one side of my family speak traces of Bolsahay dialect (Well really Gelibolu Dialect).

 

For some reason, I have found Armenians from Iraq to be the hardest for me to understand.

 

I really don't think these dialects are as distinct as dialects of Italian or Chinese are. With a certain amount of accomodation, we can understand each other. For instance, when I met non-Barskahays, I make a painstaking effort to not use Farsi words, but of course it is hard as it is ingrained in me. The other day I was talking to my school district's superintendent who is Lipanahay. I kept saying "bas" (enough) then realized she had no idea what I was saying!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Steve, 'bas' is also used by Lipanahays as enough. It is from Arabic/Farsi( I guess).

So probably the superintendent understood you.

Pilafhead ( really , what is your real name? ) , I agree with most of Steve's explanations , even though I am not a linguist.

At scholl the language we used was Arevmdahayeren - Western Armenian , however most of the books we used were written in Armenia , hence Arevelahayeren- Eastern Armenian.

Both dialects are very rich because I believe they share a common base , the Krapar Hayeren ( the old/written Armenian).

 

However I believe that the differences create alot of problems ,especially in Armenian schools in the Diaspora. Before the arrivals of the Hayastantsi , all schools in the Diaspora ( with the exception of Iran ), were using the Western dialect , but now how can they accomodate the new Hayasdantsi students. This is a problem , because it intensifies the differences and their acceptability.

I remember very well how we used to tease and make fun of the Barsgahays, especially the Chughatsi, ( shame on us ) , that came to our school. They learned our dialect and adopted quickly.

 

Now , which is the preferred dialect for the future. I don't know , I pressume the scholars have to find a solution. Profoundly, I prefer the Western dialect , it sound 'sweater' in my ears , but then the same might apply for Steve , who uses Eastern Dialect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Gayane:


However, I could tell you what I personally think is out there on Armenian TV that someone who's trying to learn Armenian should watch. There's a show with Dr. Jermazian, Ph.D. (or some other last name along those lines). He's a psychologist appearing on a "horizon" show, I believe every Thursday at 9 pm--perhaps every other thursday, I'm not sure.

Gayane


We used to be neighbors with him
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Raffi jan, amot vor Barskahayerin nekhastsumir yep vor tprotsi mechir! But honestly we make fun (in a good natured way) the "pan mega, inch gnes etc." of the Western dialect, so we are even! By the way did you get my e-mail a while back? Write me!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike, I'm no expert on linguistics, so I'll refrain from answering your questions about the dialects, etc. However, I could tell you what I personally think is out there on Armenian TV that someone who's trying to learn Armenian should watch. There's a show with Dr. Jermazian, Ph.D. (or some other last name along those lines). He's a psychologist appearing on a "horizon" show, I believe every Thursday at 9 pm--perhaps every other thursday, I'm not sure. Now this psychologist speaks the type of Armenian that the intelligentsia in Armenia would speak. It's the kind I'm used to through my parents, so it's the kind I'll recommend to you. Plus the show is very commendable, I think. Armenians need greater exposure to issues dealing with human psychology, especially in bringing up their kids.

 

Not to be biased, there's another show on the other Armenian channel (17) led by a parskahye man. He, too, is very much a well rounded individual and I find his Armenian to be nearly perfect. That one I don't know the times for (it's in the evening as well, probably 8 or 9, he's a distinguished looking gentleman with gray hair and a beard, can't for the life of me remember his name).

 

Amendment to my praise for this last dude: my mother says his armenian isn't that good!!!.. lol...so much for my ability to distinguish good armenian from not so good...

 

Well, that's my two cents...hope it helps

 

Gayane

 

[This message has been edited by Gayane (edited October 19, 2000).]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Martin, really...lol...cute..

 

Actually, from what I've seen on television, I really admire the man. There aren't many Armenian psychologists one can look up to. This man is "my hero"...lol (well, not really, I don't have any heros, but he's the next best thing)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was the first Armenian "legal intellectual" to speak out in the press about the psychological necessity of Armenia's Independence. He is one of those typical Yerevantsi intellectual patriots
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...