DominO123 Posted July 26, 2006 Report Share Posted July 26, 2006 Here is the thing, I dumped Linux because I had enought having to turn on Windows because of some softwares which were unavailable. The thing is that I had to install a non-legit version because Windows is already installed (a legal version) on my other machine. I am afraid that if I install my legit version on two different computer on online update the server will identity that two different machines are using the same key and deactivate my legit version. Does anyone use the same copy of Windows on two different machines? Both computers are mine and obviously I am not using both in the same time, so I don't see why I should feel guilty of using the same copy which is legal on both computers, but with all the things about online authentification I am afraid to lose my one single copy and I don't see why I should spend another 200 dollars to buy another one. I know that after SP2 Microsoft is checking onlione every single pieces and compare the hardware and if it correspond. Does anyone use one copy with two computers? I know it is usable, what I want to know is if those doing that can actually access all the new critical updates on SP2 and pass the authentification test. I just want to note, that both materials are desktop computers, using the same family of processor, the chipset for both are VIA etc. (just in cases their identification takes in account the similaritires between both computers) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Azat Posted July 31, 2006 Report Share Posted July 31, 2006 I dont think you are allowed to install the same copy of windows on 2 different PC Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Garo Posted July 31, 2006 Report Share Posted July 31, 2006 You can use the same CD to install Windows XP on another computer and activate it online if 6 months has passed since the last installation and activation. In case it's been less than 6 months since the last activation and you can not activate it online, just give them a call and you should get an activation key from the customer support rep. without any problem as long as the Windows XP serial number is not listed on warez sites and you're not trying to use it too many times. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted August 1, 2006 Author Report Share Posted August 1, 2006 You can use the same CD to install Windows XP on another computer and activate it online if 6 months has passed since the last installation and activation. In case it's been less than 6 months since the last activation and you can not activate it online, just give them a call and you should get an activation key from the customer support rep. without any problem as long as the Windows XP serial number is not listed on warez sites and you're not trying to use it too many times. Do you mean that I can call them and request activation on my first computer even if the same copy has been installed on my second computer? If so, will I be able to update Windows on both machine eachtime a new updates are available? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted August 1, 2006 Report Share Posted August 1, 2006 Queb ... if you actually have a legit copy, just try it. If it fails, then worry about calling and getting it to work on one machine. I don't think you'll have any problems with 2 machines. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted August 1, 2006 Author Report Share Posted August 1, 2006 Queb ... if you actually have a legit copy, just try it. If it fails, then worry about calling and getting it to work on one machine. I don't think you'll have any problems with 2 machines. Good one Sip, but my concerns were more about getting my key in the black list while trying and Microsoft refusing to do anything. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Garo Posted August 1, 2006 Report Share Posted August 1, 2006 Do you mean that I can call them and request activation on my first computer even if the same copy has been installed on my second computer? If so, will I be able to update Windows on both machine eachtime a new updates are available? Yes to both questions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DominO123 Posted August 1, 2006 Author Report Share Posted August 1, 2006 Great, thanks Garo. Microsoft is not that devil afteral. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.