Jump to content

Ways Of Saying..


exit

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

As we all know there are a few ways of saying Armenian in Armenian. I wanted to know how to say 'Armenian Prince' and a friend of mine suggested that Hye is too slangie.

 

He said i should go with; Hykakan for Armenian (because Hye is more like I Armenian compared to that one), and Tagazharang or Arqayazn for Prince.

 

Is this correct? Please help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He said i should go with; Hykakan for Armenian (because Hye is more like I Armenian compared to that one), and Tagazharang or Arqayazn for Prince.

 

Wow never heard of those words before. I always thought Ishkhan was Armenian for prince. But I guess that is not "Armenian" enough :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

your friend and likes of him get on my nerves when they start talking 'haykakan' this 'haykakan' that... where the hell did this armeno-american slang originate from?

His was born and raised in Armenia so i duno man lol.

 

What do you suggest?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

As we all know there are a few ways of saying Armenian in Armenian. I wanted to know how to say 'Armenian Prince' and a friend of mine suggested that Hye is too slangie.

 

He said i should go with; Hykakan for Armenian (because Hye is more like I Armenian compared to that one), and Tagazharang or Arqayazn for Prince.

 

Is this correct? Please help.

 

 

A friend of yours doesn't know Armenian :) The best way to say it is: Hye arqayazn. But... isn't HyeAzizAxper better???)))

Edited by Lana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
I thought "ishkhan" meant prince as well. The Armenian version of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince is Pokrig Ishkhanuh.

 

So "Armenian Prince" would be "Hay Ishkhan" or "Haygagan Ishkhan."

 

when you say "Haygagan Ishkhan" people would think you're referring to the fish... a person cannot be 'haygagan', he/she can be 'hye'... konyak can be 'haygagan'... but 'hye mard'... 'hye puzati dzyadzya'... 'haykakan sari mastak, puchik linogh... ay esents mets O'... you get the idea...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Armenian version of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince is Pokrig Ishkhanuh.

 

true... but not everything in literature is translated literally...

 

So "Armenian Prince" would be "Hay Ishkhan" or "Haygagan Ishkhan."

 

'ishkhan' is anyone of noble origin, but not neccessarily the ruler's child...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...