Jump to content

New Orleans Reporting


vava

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I share Azat's concern about our gov incompetance.I still have dificulty with this disaster.Sad real sad.

here is a news clip which to me reads like surreal fiction book but it is not fiction.

 

NEW ORLEANS Sep 3, 2005 — The last bedraggled refugees were rescued from the Superdome on Saturday and the convention center was all but cleared, leaving the heart of New Orleans to the dead and dying, the elderly and frail stranded too many days without food, water or medical care.

 

No one knows how many were killed by Hurricane Katrina's floods and how many more succumbed waiting to be rescued. But the bodies are everywhere: hidden in attics, floating among the ruined city, crumpled on wheelchairs, abandoned on highways.

 

The last refugees at the Superdome and the convention center climbed aboard buses Saturday bound for shelters, but the dying goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

here is an interesting letter...

 

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

 

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

 

Dear Mr. Bush:

 

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

 

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

 

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

 

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

 

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

 

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

 

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

 

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

 

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

 

Yours,

 

Michael Moore

MMFlint@aol.com

www.MichaelMoore.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Karogh en mardik sharzhel lernerin,

Ou bazki ouzhov sandzel geterin

Bayts ov e karogh…?

 

What is the rest of it? Who wrote it and where?

Was it Sevak?

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

 

 

chgitem ov e asel Arpa jan, bayts lav e asel......xntrem sharunaki barekams.....bayts inch@t em asel 2 or e man em galis grqeris mej sa grvats@ chemgtnum :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is something I saw on another board...

 

Look at these images, it seems that Black people 'loot'

First black person

 

Second black person

While the Whites people 'find' ;)

 

White people

 

No media biases here... :glare:

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

I agree that the media has bias since everything in existence has bias, but seriously, how much biased is this? Whether they show the clip once or twice, the point is that there were various reports of rioting, looting, killing, and rape. Most of them were blacks, if not all of them, were probably blacks.

 

I don't know about you, but when I look back, blacks have had a history of disrespecting their own surroundings. In 1965 in Watts they burned down and destroyed their own neighbors and resorted to killings and looting. In 1991 they engaged in a similar thing. Now they are doing a similar thing. I don't care what the hell happened, it doesn't justify looting, murder and rape. You didn't see people acting like animals during hurricane Mitch in central America, and you didn't see them acting as such during hurricane Andrew in the early 90s.

Edited by Anonymouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that the media has bias since everything in existence has bias, but seriously, how much biased is this? Whether they show the clip once or twice, the point is that there were various reports of rioting, looting, killing, and rape. Most of them were blacks, if not all of them, were probably blacks.

 

I don't know about you, but when I look back, blacks have had a history of disrespecting their own surroundings. In 1965 in Watts they burned down and destroyed their own neighbors and resorted to killings and looting. In 1991 they engaged in a similar thing. Now they are doing a similar thing. I don't care what the hell happened, it doesn't justify looting, murder and rape. You didn't see people acting like animals during hurricane Mitch in central America, and you didn't see them acting as such during hurricane Andrew in the early 90s.

style_images/master/snapback.png

Lot of looting was to get water and food which was slow to come.If my family was on the line I would loot to.

Edited by Armat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your home is under water, you have no money and if you do nobody to take it to give you the food you need. They government has abandoned you. You need to eat and be warm. What do you do, but loot.

 

This was a calculated move to reduce the number of those who vote for Democrats in Louisiana. This scenario is pure Rove. Just watch in the next election Sen. Landrieu will lose to the Republican. The vote was close last time.

Edited by phantom22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lot of looting was to get water and food which was slow to come.If my family was on the line I would loot to.

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

What about killing and rape? Would you do that too?

 

I don't care how many ways you folks justify this. The problem with blacks and others is they've relied far too much on the government period, when in fact this was itself a government blunder. The levees that didn't hold were a direct result of the public sector negligence.

Edited by Anonymouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anonymouse there is No question that there were criminals among the 100K people left behind and they did loot, I guess some did rape and kill. Although no one has been charged or abducted of the last 2.

 

Let me ask you a different question. What do you think would happen if they take all the POOR Armenians of Glendale, Hollywood and North Hollywood and put them in the Colosseum and couple of other places, don't feed them, don't send any help, water or food. What do you think we would do?

 

I say we will do ALL the same things that the people of New Orleans did maybe(and only a small maybe) with the exception of the rape...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about killing and rape? Would you do that too?

 

I don't care how many ways you folks justify this. The problem with blacks and others is they've relied far too much on the government period, when in fact this was itself a government blunder. The levees that didn't hold were a direct result of the public sector negligence.

style_images/master/snapback.png

I guess you will never understand being Black and poor.I am tired of reading racist comments as though somehow white people are better.Maybe you should head NE area in small NH towns where they are plenty of ignorant white trash around no better then any black.

I am not justifing anything but give a fken break these people suffered enough and still do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess you will never understand being Black and poor.I am tired of reading racist comments as though somehow white people are better.Maybe you should head NE area in small NH towns where they are plenty of ignorant white trash around no better then any black.

I am not justifing anything but give a fken break these people suffered enough and still do

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

Oh please save me that stupid cry of "oh the horrible racist society keeping the black man down". Any and all contrarian views are automatically deemed racist. Well, if that's the way it is, then you don't need to be bothered with. Just what exactly was racist about what I said? That blacks rely on government? There is nothing racist about that except truth. And where did I say white people are better? Don't try to create an alternate meaning in my post where there was none. Everyone suffered, and suffers that doesn't make anyone special.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess you will never understand being Black and poor.I am tired of reading racist comments as though somehow white people are better.Maybe you should head NE area in small NH towns where they are plenty of ignorant white trash around no better then any black.

I am not justifing anything but give a fken break these people suffered enough and still do

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

Armat, ignore the guy, he's known to use any given opportunity to slander Blacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anonymouse, as we say cher , kiss my a@@ in the middle of Bourbon and Toulane banque!

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

 

hahahaha. Ya Mouse, start kiss buddy. :)

 

-------------------

 

During the debate with John Edwards out VP said "When you are in trouble I will protect you. the other guy may not". Which reminds me? Where is our protector the brave Chaney? is he hiding again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about killing and rape? Would you do that too?

 

I don't care how many ways you folks justify this. The problem with blacks and others is they've relied far too much on the government period, when in fact this was itself a government blunder. The levees that didn't hold were a direct result of the public sector negligence.

style_images/master/snapback.png

lack of education, poverty, frustration/anger/fear, and no enforcement of law contributed to this.

you're watching too much tv ;)

 

hispanics/armenians/asians/ anyone for that matter in similar circumstances will do the same.

doesn't anybody here live in LA?

Edited by armjan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ARMENIA WILL ASSIST US

 

06.09.2005 06:42

 

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ «Armenia is ready to provide the necessary assistance to the US Government due to the consequences of the hurricane,» Armenian FM Vartan Oskanian stated at a joint news conference with OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Slovenian FM Dimitrij Rupel. In his words, today the US Embassy in Armenia will provide the list of what is necessary for the Katrina hurricane victims. As the minister noted, at the moment the US needs money to the most, and Armenia is ready to provide both financial and professional assistance to the US to the best of its abilities. In the Minister's words, rescuer teams, physicians and other specialists will depart from Armenia for the US in case of need.

 

<!> Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited without reference to "PanARMENIAN.Net"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anonymouse, as we say cher , kiss my a@@ in the middle of Bourbon and Toulane banque!

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

Oh shut up! Will you please pull your head out of your ass and tell me what it is that you find so distasteful in what I said? What exactly did I say that pissed you off? Please learn to control your emotions. Tragedy happened no one disputes, but it sure isn't an excuse for rape and murder. Perhaps the looting, we can dismiss, the rest we can't. It remains that blacks have been more prone to this than others in the past and present. So all the excuses you make won't absolve that.

 

And as far as the whole 'poverty' conundrum everyone mindlessly spits, who is to blame? The 'racist society' I presume? As far as these peoples' condition in the socioeconomic ladder, they have no one to blame but themselves, I'm sorry.

 

As far as the hurricane and the response, the Federal government is to blame. But what does this prove? It proves that government is incompetent, period. The levees were set to break and officials were warned a year in advance of the necessary changes that had to be made. They even outlined a worst case scenario for New Orleans from a hurricane and described exactly the situation we have now. You can read this in last Friday's (September 2) edition of the LA Times, Calendar Section.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ARS Urges Opening Hearts to Hurricane Victims

 

Humanitarian organization appeals to Armenians for assistance

 

Following the devastation and flooding in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the Armenian Relief Society of Western USA has begun collecting monetary donations for the victims of the Gulf Coast disaster. As rescue workers continue to pluck people from their rooftops and evacuate ravaged areas, the realization that thousands of survivors will not have homes or jobs to return to along the Gulf coast of Louisiana and Alabama is daunting.

 

Last January, the ARS-WR successfully collected donations for Tsunami victims. In a press release, the ARS appealed to the community to give back in this time of dire need. “We are sure that all Armenian-Americans who have felt the impact of helping hands through natural disasters, whether in Northridge or Armenia, will give generously to the ARS.”

 

The Western Region’s chair of the ARS Angela Savoian urged the organization’s members, supporters, and the community-at-large to lend a hand to victims. "These are times to let actions speak for themselves," said Savoian.

 

"The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is too disastrous to describe, but we… all of us are ready to take on the responsibility to alleviate the suffering of fellow citizens in the Gulf States. Let's open up our hearts to the losses of lives, homes and livelihoods, and be generous with our donations."

 

The Western Prelacy has designated the ARS as one of the agencies to contact for offering Gulf Coast disaster relief donations. Send your tax-deductible donations payable to the ARS of Western USA, Regional Executive immediately. Please indicate that your donation is for the "Hurricane Victims Fund."

 

Donations can be mailed to: Armenian Relief Society of Western USA Inc, Regional Executive, 517 W. Glenoaks Blvd., Glendale, CA 91202-2812, or by visiting the ARS Western regions headquarters at the same address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the resident expert on sevs (I live in the hood - east Bakersfield), I unfortunately have to agree that much of this awful behavior you've witnessed on TV is a cultural trait.

 

If we ever had something of that magnatude occur here I can promise you they wouldn't behave any better.

 

The only difference is they would want me as their leader.

 

Think I'm kidding???

 

Here is a picture of my next door neighbors.

 

http://xtremefight.com/images/sevs.jpg

Edited by Bakersfieldian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the resident expert on sevs (I live in the hood - east Bakersfield), I unfortunately have to agree that much of this awful behavior you've witnessed on TV is a cultural trait.

 

If we ever had something of that magnatude occur here I can promise you they wouldn't behave any better.

 

The only difference is they would want me as their leader.

 

Think I'm kidding???

 

Here is a picture of my next door neighbors.

 

http://xtremefight.com/images/sevs.jpg

style_images/master/snapback.png

 

Precisely, only myopia dismisses the ethnic connotation underlying class. It's not just class, it's also a combination of ethnic and cultural traits.

Edited by Anonymouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly

 

If they told a group of Armenians to leave immediately we would grab our pictures, jewelry, bible, and a rug.

 

My grandparents were destitute when they came to this country.

 

Under NO circumstances could I EVER picture them behaving in such a primitive and savage manner. (just calling it what it is - primitive and savage)

 

Precisely, only myopia dismisses the ethnic connotation underlying class. It's not just class, it's also a combination of ethnic and cultural traits.

style_images/master/snapback.png
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...