armjan Posted March 31, 2005 Report Share Posted March 31, 2005 Creating Mac OS X virus will have to be its own reward A controversial Mac accessory seller has pulled his offer of a $25,000 reward for creating a Mac OS X virus. Jack Campbell, CEO of DVForge, said on his company's Web site that he wanted to do the contest as a way of proving that Mac OS X is not vulnerable to attack, as Symantec recently claimed. However, he said he pulled the bounty after an outcry from Mac users. "During the first several hours after making the public announcement, I was contacted by a large number of Mac users and Mac software professionals who shared their thinking with me about the contest," Campbell said in a posting on DVForge's Web site. "I have been convinced that the risk of a virus on the OS X platform is not zero, although it is remarkably close to zero. More importantly, I have been convinced that there may be legality issues stemming from such a contest, beyond those determined by our own legal counsel, prior to announcing the contest." Macintouch, which has a chronicle of user comments on past dealings with Campbell, updated its site with a lively set of postings on the virus issue. "It's hard to tell whether Jack Campbell is trying to help or hurt the Mac community with this stunt," wrote one poster to Macintouch. "The sloppy challenge he puts forth will simply yield bad data that can be misused to support any number of conclusions." For his part, Campbell, said he just wanted quiet those who claim the Mac is vulnerable to viruses. "I still think it's time for this matter to be resolved, once and for all," he said in a follow-up posting on his site. " I want to see the threatend (sic) bullet. Fire it. Actually hit the target. Either that, or shut up with the threats and the innuendo, and finally admit that OS X is inherently, fundamentally, a couple of orders of magnitude more immune to outside security breaches than is Windows." Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted March 31, 2005 Report Share Posted March 31, 2005 "... or shut up with the threats and the innuendo, and finally admit that OS X is inherently, fundamentally, a couple of orders of magnitude more immune to outside security breaches than is Windows." emmmmmmm ... yah ... and so is this: http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/tm/images/abacus.jpg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ED Posted March 31, 2005 Report Share Posted March 31, 2005 please recomend a good external hard drive!? there are so many I'm confused which one to get Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hytga Posted March 31, 2005 Report Share Posted March 31, 2005 Seagate or Maxtor Seagate http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-154-401&depa=0 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-154-402&depa=0 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-154-410&depa=0 Maxtor http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-144-364&depa=0 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-144-365&depa=0 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-144-329&depa=0 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-144-225&depa=0 the first 2 maxtor drives have 16mb cache which is the best there is. The second seagate doesn't have firewire support. other than that those drives should be pretty good ones Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
armjan Posted March 31, 2005 Author Report Share Posted March 31, 2005 I personally have used a few maxtor drives and I am very satisfied with them. try using outpost.com or from fry's. they are in good quality and pretty inexpensive. some ppl have had a bad experience with fry's drives though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sip Posted March 31, 2005 Report Share Posted March 31, 2005 (edited) Edward, I also have the 300GB Maxtor OneTouch and it has been VERY good to me. I like that it has both firewire and USB 2 interfaces ... I highly recommend those. Although I would probably never buy an internal maxtor drive again as a couple of years ago I had 2 or 3 of them fail on me within a year. It could have been a bad batch I don't know ... but this external one has been great. Edited March 31, 2005 by Sip Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.