#1 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:31 AM

HERO SAVING 20 LIVES TO VISIT ARMENIA TOMORROW

Thirty years ago on the same day, September 16, one of the most tragic car accidents took place in Yerevan – a trolleybus, full of passengers, lost control and went into Yerevan Lake. At that moment, Shavarsh Karapetyan, multiple champion of Europe in underwater swimming, and his brother, Kamo Karapetyan, master of international rank, were training near the lake. Shavarsh Karapetyan managed to save the lives of 20 passengers diving into the water without diving clothes. Of coarse, he could not save everyone. About seven dozens people were killed in the accident.

The fatal accident was kept secret under the Soviet regime and people learned about it only years ago. The heroic deed of Shavarsh Karapetyan cost him a lot – Karapetyan had to quit the great sport. However, Shavarsh Karapetyan became known to people as a real hero. Neither the Soviet Union, nor Independent Armenia gave credits to the deed of the sportsman and did not award him the title of hero. Moreover, in mid 1990s Shavarsh Karapetyan had to leave Yerevan and reside in Moscow where he currently lives and has a small shoes repair service. Tomorrow, it is expected that Shavarsh Karapetyan will again visit his Motherland. /Panorama.am/

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:31 AM

MAN AS AN INSTRUMENT OF THE PROVIDENCE
The event we are going to talk about happened in 1976 in Yerevan, the capital of the then Soviet republic of Armenia. On a sunny morning in September a trolleybus moving across the dam of a local reservoir swerved off course and plunged down with dozens of commuters trapped inside…

Shavarsh Karapetyan happened to be jogging nearby that morning. A many times world champion in underwater swimming, Shavarsh quickly figured out what was happening and jumped into the ice-cold water. Defying the laws of physics, he broke the glass windows of the sunken vehicle and started pulling out the people trapped 10 meters below… 20 minutes and numerous cuts later, Shavarsh Karapetyan had already saved 20 passengers being helped on the surface by his brother Kamo. Taking one short gulp of air Shavarsh dived again… Already losing consciousness, he pulled ashore the last passenger. Experts later said Shavarsh was the only one in the whole world who had ever done such a thing. The following morning he was diagnosed with general blood contamination and pneumonia, which is only natural for someone having spent so much time in ice-cold water and having suffered so many cuts. After a lengthy recuperation period, Shavarsh Karapetyan resumed his sporting activities winning another world championships. In 1981 he was forced to quit swimming becoming an enduring symbol of heroism both in sports and in everyday life.

With all due respect and admiration for the man’s courage and perseverance, however, it’s hard to miss the very important fact that only one person in a city of a million people was able to prevent a tragedy, that he somehow happened to be at the right place at the right time! Was that a mere coincidence? Skeptics and materialists talk about chancy occurrences and calculate how often things like this may happen. And if this is more than just a unique coincidence, then what is it?

There is a moment of glory in everyone’s life – at least that’s what the wise men of old teach us. A moment when you do what is prescribed you by God... A moment when you become an instrument of the Providence… One of the people Shavarsh Karapetyan saved that morning said: “I was saved by God!” Well, maybe it was a divine providence that Shavarsh chanced to be jogging near the dam that fateful morning, but even if it was, Shavarsh Karapetyan is still a hero because it is always up to us to choose between action and inaction. That’s exactly what human freedom is really all about! Freedom means one’s readiness to give up everything that is vane and false to find one’s true calling.

There is one more truth we can learn from Shavarsh’s heroism – that human societies need heroes. Boys need someone to look up to as they grow up. In recent years the bookstores and television have been inundating us with a veritable avalanche of supermen most of them conceited, arrogant, selfish and violent. Shavarsh Karapetyan is different; he is a real hero, self-effacing and always ready to sacrifice his life for other people’s good.

That fateful morning in September split Shavarsh’s live in two. An 11-time world record holder and 17-time world underwater swimming champion, he could continue working as a coach, but it just so happened that his sporting achievements were all forgotten and so he had to find himself an engineering work at a local factory. Shortly after he took his family abroad, but feeling out of his element there, returned home. In 1993 Shavarsh Karapetyan came to Moscow, without money and without a place to live in. To survive he started desperately looking for a job, which proved to be harder than saving people from a sunken trolleybus… He finally lucked out though opening a shoemaking facility, which is now one of the best in Moscow.

There are just a handful of heroes in this world who can boast saving 20 lives. Shavarsh Karapetyan is one such hero. Driven by the omniscient Providence, he courageously waded in saving the lives of all those people who would otherwise have perished trapped inside that sunken trolleybus on the slimy bottom of the lake in Yerevan…

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:32 AM

The trolley-bus and Shavarsh Karapetyan

Nune HAKHVERDYAN | November 23, 2005

There was a tragic accident in Yerevan on September 16, 1976. A trolley bus fell into the water with a lot of passengers in it when crossing the Bridge of Yerevan Lake. The 92 passengers inside the trolley-bus could have died because the weather was cold then and they were stuck in the trolley-bus because they couldn’t break the windows. The big trolley bus was being covered by water fast and it could bring to a big tragedy. At that time Shavarsh Karapetyan and Kamo Karapetyan were running near the Lake and didn’t hesitate to jump into the water and start saving the lives of those people. Shavarsh Karapetyan, who was a world and European champion and famous swimmer realized that the lives of those people depended on one second. “I could see nothing in the water because the water was too dirty. I realized that I was alone and the only person responsible for everything”, -said Shavarsh Karapetyan to “Komsomolskaya Pravda” newspaper correspondent. The lake was ten meters deep. Shavarsh made efforts and could break the window of the trolley bus. He entered inside by harming his legs and started to look for people with his hands. The brother of Shavarsh, Kamo, who was also a swimmer, was taking people to the bank from the surface after Shavarsh had brought them up to surface. Shavarsh Karapetyan dove for thirty times and saved twenty people. He was taking the bodies of people to the surface and giving them to his brother to take out of the water. “I was going up to the surface, breathing and diving again. And after diving one more time I took a leather chair out from the trolley-bus, I was so tired that didn’t notice that it wasn’t a man”, -said Shavarsh. The friend of Shavarsh, Babken Khachatryan, once said that Shavarsh regretted much and often said that he could have saved one more life instead of that chair. It was actually impossible to do what Shavarsh did, because you have to be also very kind and have a strong will besides being a good swimmer and diver.

When some divers came to the lake it turned out that there was no air in their balloons. He was sure that he could save everyone if there was air in their balloons. The closed system of the Soviet Union didn’t allow publishing correct and right information about the accident, and the photos were kept only in the prosecutor’s office. Head of “Photolur” agency Herbert Baghdasaryan says: “We were informed about this tragedy only two years after the accident, when we got an order from “Komsomolskaja Pravda” to make a report about Shavarsh Karapetyan”.

It is not clear yet what the reason of this accident was. According to official information the driver got a heart attack when driving the trolley-bus. But the passengers that were saved said that the reason was the conflict between a passenger and the driver. They said that the passenger was trying to make the driver stop the trolley-bus there and the driver was refusing by saying that it wasn’t a taxi for him. They also said that the passenger beat the driver and the driver lost control and that is why the trolley-bus fell into the water.

After saving the lives of those people Shavarsh Karapetyan was tired, out of power and his body was injured. As a result of his heroism he got serious sicknesses, blood disease and pneumonia. There was sewage water in the lake too and this was also a reason for his sicknesses. After this accident Shavarsh had to forget about sports. His life was divided into two parts: till the accident and after the accident. He forgot all his goals and what he had reached. Shavarsh Karapetyan took treatment at hospitals for a long time and once asked the doctors: “Will I be able to swim again?” But the answer didn’t satisfy him, because being in cold water for a long time he had seriously damaged his health. “When after the accident I dove again I understood that my lung was not like before. Before I could play with my competitors, but now I have to struggle. I reached one more world record, but this one was the last”, - once said Shavarsh.

Once Shavarsh told a Russian newspaper correspondent that the son of his brother had died in water too. And said that he felt very pity because his brother was a good swimmer and couldn’t have saved him and this time the trouble was water again.

In 1993 he moved to Moscow and tried to start a new life: he founded a small shoe production there. His company was called “Second Breath”. Now he is a good businessman. Armenian shoemakers are considered to be the best ones in Moscow. He hasn’t forgotten about his heroism 30 years ago. “The saved people didn’t know the name of the person who saved them”, -said B. Khachatryan. Only several years later in the period of “economy reconstruction” some books and information were published about Shavarsh Karapetyan. There is a planet that bears his name now. The saved people thanked him a lot. Some time later Shavarsh Karapetyan was given “Fair Player” medal of UNESCO. This medal is given to people who are good in sports, but he didn’t do this heroism in sports, but in real life.

#4 Eurocentric

Eurocentric

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

This man deserves national recognition.

Ps: The best known shoemakers in Moscow are Assyrians and have always been Assyrians not Armenians.

#5 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

Who cares?

#6 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(MosJan @ Sep 21 2006, 11:31 PM) View Post
The fatal accident was kept secret under the Soviet regime and people learned about it only years ago.

eh? i had a small book about him and the incident in late 80's, which my parents probably bought earlier than that...

#7 Eva

Eva

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

Actually I was talking to my grandma ( she was in her early 30's at that time)and she knew everything about that accident and she also said that this is not Shavarsh's first heroism, there was one more before the trolley accident and he was well recognized by Karen Demirchyan at that time..

link

Edited by konfetka, 28 September 2006 - 11:37 AM.

#8 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

yes janik he was involved in in the fire at Karen Demirjyan Hamalir in Yerevan next to Tsitsernakaberd - was one of the first to enter the complex to help, it took him long time to recover form the fair fumes

i say we call him Ameniyn HAyots Aspet

#9 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Հերոսը, որին պետությունն այդպես էլ հերոսի կոչում չտվեց

Այսօր - 00:27

Շավարշ Վլադիմիրի Կարապետյան (ծնվել է 1953 թվականի մայիսի 19-ին, Կիրովական, ՀԽՍՀ), 11-անգամ աշխարհի ռեկորդակիր, 17-անգամ աշխարհի չեմպիոն, 13-անգամ Եվրոպայի չեմպիոն, ԽՍՀՄ յոթակի չեմպիոն ջրասուզալող սպորտաձևում: Սուզալողի ռուսական ասոցիացիայի պատվավոր նախագահ . Պարգևատրվել է «Պատվո նշան» շքանշանով և Յունեսկոյի «Արդար խաղ» (Ֆեյր փլեյ) մրցանակով:
1976 թվականի սեպտեմբերի 16-ին, տեղի ունեցավ Հայաստանի վերջին շրջանի պատմության մեջ թերեւս ամենաողբերգական ճանատրասպորտային պատահարը: Երեսուն տարի առաջ, սեպտեմբերի 16-ի երեկոյան, երթուղային տրոլեյբուսը, որ լեփ-լեցուն էր ուղեւորներով, կորցնելով կառավարումը, բարձր արագությամբ, ընկավ Երեւանյան լիճը:
Այդ ժամանակ լճի ափին մարզվում էին ստորջրյա լողի աշխարհի եւ Եվրոպայի բազմակի չեմպիոն, ռեկորդակիր, սպորտի վաստակավոր վարպետ Շավարշ Կարապետյանը եւ նրա եղբայրը' միջազգային կարգի վարպետ Կամո Կարապետյանը: Շատերին է հայտնի Շավարշ Կարապետյանի և նրա եղբոր կատարած սխրանքը: Ահավոր վթարը նկատելով, նրանք արագորեն մոտեցել էին տրոլեյբուսի ընկած վայրին, և Շավարշ Կարապետյանին հաջողվել էր փրկել 20 ուղեւորի կյանք՝ անընդհատ սուզվելով տղմոտ ջրի մեջ, առանց ջրասուզման հատուկ սարքերի, ու խորտակված տրոլեյբուսից դուրս հանելով մարդկանց: Փրկել բոլորին այդ իրավիճակում, ուղղակի անհնար էր. շուրջ յոթ տասնյակ մարդ զոհ գնաց ահավոր վթարին:
Խորհրդային անհեթեթ կարգուբարքի պայմաններում տեղի ունեցածը միառժամանակ լռության մատնվեց՝ խստիվ կարգադրությամբ, և կատարվածի մասին հանրությունն իմացավ միայն տարիներ անց: Այդ օրվա անձնազոհ արարքն անհետեւանք չանցավ Շավարշ Կարապետյանի համար: Տղմոտ ջրի մեջ անցկացրած րոպեները ճակատագրական եղան նաեւ հայտնի մարզիկի համար, քանզի նա այլեւս ստիպված էր թողնել մեծ սպորտը: Բայց Շավարշ Կարապետյանը դարձավ ոչ միայն 20 մարդու երկրորդ կյանք տված փրկարարը, այլեւ ժողովրդի կողմից ճանաչվեց ու մինչեւ հիմա էլ հիշվում է որպես իսկական հերոս:
Չնայած, ինչպես Խորհրդային Միությունը, այնպես էլ՝ նորանկախ Հայաստանի Հանրապետությունը այդպես էլ ըստ արժանվույն չգնահատեցին մարզիկի սխրանքը, ու նրան հերոսի կոչում պետության կողմից այդպես էլ չշնորհվեց: Ավելին, 1990-ականների կեսերին Շավարշ Կարապետյանն ստիպված էր թողնել հայրենի Երեւանն ու պատսպարվել Մոսկվայում, որտեղ էլ ներկայումս բնակվում է ու կոշիկի փոքր արհեստանոց ունի:

Facebook + Media Armenia. ֆեյսբուք

#10 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

#11 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Подвиг, о котором хотела умолчать советская пресса. 16-го сентября 1976 года в столице Армении произошла трагедия: троллейбус, в котором ехали около 100 пассажиров, на полном ходу рухнул в воду Ереванского озера, передает МТРК «Мир». Десятки человек оказались заблокированы в машине. Спас людей - Шаварш Карапетян. С того дня прошло 35 лет.

Шаварш Карапетян: Я знал, что не смогу спасти всех

#12 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Фрагмент программы "Точка возврата" из цикла "Живая тема". Эфир 5 июня 2012 телеканал Рен-ТВ.

#13 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Фильм ПЛОВЕЦ о Шаварше Карапетяне

Документальный фильм кинорежиссера Сергея Русакова ПЛОВЕЦ ( 2012 год) рассказывает о судьбе выдающегося пловца и гражданина Шаварша Карапетяна. Помимо блистательной спортивной карьеры - к 23 годам он стал 17 -кратным чемпионом и рекордсменом мира, пловец из Еревана более четверти века назад совершил подвиг - за 15 минут спас более двадцати человек, упавших в троллейбусе на дно Ереванского озера...

#14 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

Армянские спортсмены - Шаварш Карапетян

Шаварш Карапетян - один из самых известных спортсменов-подводников советского времени, семикратный чемпион СССР, тринадцати кратный победитель европейских первенств, десятикратный чемпион мира.
Lfktt http://cocteil.blogspot.com/2011/05/1

#15 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Энциклопедия Добра. Шаварш Карапетян.

Первый выпуск программы посвящен подвигу Шаварша Карапетяна. Знаменитый советский спортсмен, рискуя жизнью, спас ни один десяток людей.

#16 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Вся его жизнь — как кино, только спасал он не мир, а людей, и не один раз — а три. Шаварш Карапетян, 17-кратный чемпион мира по подводному плаванию, в 76-ом нырявший в ледяную воду за тонущими пассажирами тролллейбуса, отметил 60-летний юбилей. С главным суперменом Советского Союза встретился Александр Надсадный. Эфир 25 мая 2013.

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-olympic-torch-kremlin-out/25128795.html

It is an Olympic moment that Russians would just as soon forget.

In the video, former Soviet world swimming champion Shavarsh Karapetyan (more on him later) is taken aback and looks around quizzically when the torch flickers out as he passes through the Kremlin gates in the nationally televised ceremony. A few steps later, after frantic gesturing from Karapetyan, an unidentified man steps forward to reignite the torch with a cigarette lighter

#18 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

Karapetyan set countless Soviet and world swimming records on his way to dozens of major titles in his career. But those achievements pale against the heroism he showed in a well-chronicled episode in 1976, when he saved 20 passengers whose bus had plunged into a reservoir in Yerevan. He subsequently expressed regret that he had been unable to save more of the 92 people aboard the bus, which he broke into by kicking through the back window in 10 meters of murky water.

Sadly, Karapetyan is nowhere to be found on the Sochi 2014 website's shortlist of "Torchbearers."

#19 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Rusnerin mugh@ maretsink:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users