- - - - -

Classic Western Armenian Songs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2000 - 09:15 PM

For those of us who's grandparents and great-grandparents came to the US in the late 1800's early 1900's, Armenian music consists of the oud-clarinet-kanun-dumbek songs of Western Anatolia. Why is this music ignored in nearly all discussions of Armenian music???

There is this presumption that it is "turkish" music and is therefore not Armenian. However, many of the writers and performers of these tunes were in fact Armenians often under pseudonyms.

In addition, even for those tunes that may have been turkish-played and penned, musicians and other artists often are against the policies and actions of their government. John Lennon or Rage Against The Machine, anyone?

My great-grandparents were THERE and liked these songs, who are the current a'holes to tell me I shouldn't play or listen to them?

I proudly (try to, at least) play an oud as a symbol of my heritage; it pisses me off to be told that I am not playing an Armenian instrument. The finest Oudi ever (Hrant Kenkulian) was Armenian. The greats today are Armenian (Bilezikjian, Hagopian and Mgrdichian) Some of the finest oud makers were Armenian.

I'll get off my ojar-box now. Sorry for the rant, but living in Glendale and being of Ramgavar heritage can be difficult.

P.S. Armenian gansta rap has got to be the biggest disappointment to our heritage here in America.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2000 - 08:53 AM

I think this type of music is not discussed much just because of a generation difference. Moreover Armenian music in the diaspora was heavily influenced by Lebanese Armenians, up to fifteen, twenty years ago. I donīt think that the notion that it is Turkish music is prevalent.

But of course classical Armenian songs have a very important place in our music. Can you say Gomidas ?

By the way there is An Armenian music group in Istanbul, called Knar, whose record of Armenian folk songs is enjoying some success, especially in the intellectual circuit.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2000 - 06:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boghos:
[B]I think this type of music is not discussed much just because of a generation difference. Moreover Armenian music in the diaspora was heavily influenced by Lebanese Armenians, up to fifteen, twenty years ago.

Yes, that probably nails it right on the head. I think the sad fact is that the most third and fourth generation American-Armenians don't give a sh*t about their heritage anymore. I certainly see it in my own family.

The music needs to live on. I proudly cherish my great-grandparents' and grandparents Armenian 78s and LPs (and I'm half odar--in blood, but not in mind ).

Thanks for the tip about Knar--I will try to track that down.

Mike (Pilafhead)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users