Photo

Are Male Eggs And Female Sperm On The Horizon?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

Are we (Humans) ready for this?
Do you find anything wrong with it? Or do you think it's time has come?

http://www.newscient...he-horizon.html

Article Preview

Are male eggs and female sperm on the horizon?

02 February 2008
Peter Aldhous

Magazine issue 2641

"FEMALE sperm", "male eggs" and "same-sex reproduction" - whether
these terms fill you with hope or disgust, a reproductive revolution
is already in progress. In a handful of labs across the world,
biologists are trying to make genetically male cells develop into
eggs, and female cells into sperm. If successful, their efforts might
one day allow lesbian and gay couples to have children that are
genetically their own.

Now Greg Aharonian, a patent analyst from San Francisco, is trying to
patent the technologies that could make this possible. In part,
Aharonian's goal is to stimulate debate. He argues that lesbians and
gay men have a right to know about developments in biology that could
allow same-sex reproduction. Aharonian also wants to undermine the
argument that marriage should remain an exclusively heterosexual
institution because its main purpose is procreation. "I'm a
troublemaker," he admits.

In the US, where reproductive clinics are ...
The complete article is 1567 words long.

#2 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Emilio Pucci, Guy Laroche, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Israeli Krav Maga, Nature, Sports, Coins, Franz Marc

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

Just because the men and women are producing eggs and sperm (respectively) doesn't mean that the embryos will survive. I think they will most likely abort shortly after the egg is fertilized.

Plus, how do you get a man pregnant??? (Now that I think about it...I don't know if I really want to find out disgust.gif ) There's no holding place and what will happen to the woman holding their freak of a child (there’s got to be something wrong with it) if her own egg is unfertilized??? There's no way it will work (not in the long run anyway - I also think that there will be major repercussions).

If they actually cared enough about the welfare of the children they wanted they wouldn’t go through all of that trouble for a child that is most likely going to have health problems in the future (if it survives the pregnancy stage).

#3 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

This kind of issues make me so mad, out of the imagination - there is only one thing to say about this...
Երբ վոր մառթ ուրացնում է իր ծնողներին, և մոռանում է իր սեռական հարաբերությունը, ՈՒՐԵՄՆ ԿԱՐԵԼԻ Է ՀԱՍՏԱՏԵԼ ՎՈՐ ՍԱ ԱՍՀԽԱՐԻ ՎԵՐՋՆԵ!

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

Hmmm ... maybe I am lesbian afterall.

#5 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

If they are, I'm not in. The only eggs around HERE are in my oops.gif

#6 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

There are two main issues here, one is the ethical approach and second the scientific one.
Even though the majority of the populations in the world are not ready for this, but the scientists were ready long time ago. If we only follow the ethical route than progress will stop. It's best that when a new technology is pursued they bring the ethicists to put some guidelines so that it's not abused.

#7 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Here is a good plan - Take out all the Furks from Furkey - Expand Armenia all the way to the end - Move the Kurds to Iraq and give them a country - Recognise the AG - Move all the Armenians back to homeland - Dedicate America to all of the Gay's and Lesbians to live in - and let them have the same sex child production, cut out from the rest of the world!!!

#8 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Emilio Pucci, Guy Laroche, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Israeli Krav Maga, Nature, Sports, Coins, Franz Marc

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

Science wise...what could this research and technology lead to other than unhealthy kids?

#9 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

More gay and lesbian, same sex marriages, and trans - let me put it this way, if most of the community schools are going to have gay and lesbian education included in sex education, this finding is nothing compared to the teachings to the young students... As I said it is coming to the end of the world... we need another ice age, total destruction, and some 5-10 year old kids to start another civilization!!!

#10 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Yervant1 @ Feb 1 2008, 05:05 PM)
There are two main issues here, one is the ethical approach and second the scientific one.
Even though the majority of the populations in the world are not ready for this, but the scientists were ready long time ago. If we only follow the ethical route than progress will stop. It's best that when a new technology is pursued they bring the ethicists to put some guidelines so that it's not abused.

ethical route, Natural law, and science is exploiting with such an idea? let me ask you Yervant, are you ready for this?

science is not ready, nor it was, explorers and profetiers were, and still are, even if one would not fallow the "ethical route" I could not imagine such a thing could last for one generation. guidelines are at the mercy to the ones who control them.
in US 300 million people have, had to put up with the idiot bush (breaking every guidelines) laws in constitution. imagine that.

while we the middle class is worrying about our future, exonmobil reported a 40Billlion $$$, go figure that out,

male eggs and women sperm? smile.gif

#11 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (Edward @ Feb 2 2008, 12:59 AM)
ethical route, Natural law, and science is exploiting with such an idea? let me ask you Yervant, are you ready for this?

science is not ready, nor it was, explorers and profetiers were, and still are, even if one would not fallow the "ethical route" I could not imagine such a thing could last for one generation. guidelines are at the mercy to the ones who control them.
in US 300 million people have, had to put up with the idiot bush (breaking every guidelines) laws in constitution. imagine that.

while we the middle class is worrying about our future, exonmobil reported a 40Billlion $$$, go figure that out,

male eggs and women sperm? smile.gif

I said scientists are ready not science, and every one of them have their own personal reasons for it, one of which is profit taking. No doubt that there will be exploitation, that is why I said there should be strong guidelines in order to have checks and balances.
My approach to this is scientific and ethical, not lifestyle as some members looked at it from that point only. In the past researchers were after a disease but ended up finding a cure for something else, so we don't know what kind of discovery this will result in.

To answer your question if I'm ready for it, yes I'm ready for scientific research for the improvement of life and couldn't care less for the lifestyle part since homosexuality was part of civilisation from the beginning and it will be there when it ends.

#12 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (Yervant1 @ Feb 1 2008, 09:44 AM)
Are we (Humans) ready for this?
Do you find anything wrong with it? Or do you think it's time has come?

I think it's unnecessary as of now. The world we live in today has so many unwanted babies born every day and so many orphans waiting to be adopted. Rather than going to the extreme, why not adopt a child first?

#13 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Yervant1 @ Feb 2 2008, 08:45 AM)
To answer your question if I'm ready for it, yes I'm ready for scientific research for the improvement of life and couldn't care less for the lifestyle part since homosexuality was part of civilisation from the beginning and it will be there when it ends.

Same here.

#14 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Feb 1 2008, 07:55 PM)
More gay and lesbian, same sex marriages, and trans - let me put it this way, if most of the community schools are going to have gay and lesbian education included in sex education, this finding is nothing compared to the teachings to the young students... As I said it is coming to the end of the world... we need another ice age, total destruction, and some 5-10 year old kids to start another civilization!!!

Ashot, calm down! It's not as bad as you think tongue.gif

#15 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

Anoushik jan, you are right, it's worse then I think!!!

#16 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Anoushik @ Feb 2 2008, 08:52 AM)
I think it's unnecessary as of now. The world we live in today has so many unwanted babies born every day and so many orphans waiting to be adopted. Rather than going to the extreme, why not adopt a child first?

I agree.

You know, homosexual people have always been around but...it seems so much more pronounced now (in the western world).

#17 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Zara jan - there are people born in the world with oposite hormones - Born male but female hormones are more then the male, but even they try to show how much of a man they are... the nowadays males that are homosexual are not born that way, they make themselves that way... Do you get the point where I am going with this? only 1 person out of several millions could be a male/female with the oposite hormones being more... but those people "I know few of them" go to doctors and get artificial hormones to make themselves be what they are... they don't let the oposite hormones control them, you get the point/???
The rest of the world that say they are homosexual, are actually people that are sick in the brains... Something is defenetly wrong with they, and no it's not the oposite sex hormones kicking it in... just find a homo and ask them if they were born like that...

This topic is getting sicker by the minute, lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users