• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:26 PM

I was compelled to pay a homage to my own egotistical self. Here I shall address various issues and questions that may arise. You can feel free to ask me for advice or any questions you may have. As an example: "What would be an appropriate praise for you Anileve which may soften your gruesome wrath on me." Or "I am contemplating the choice between having sushi or steak for dinner. What would maximize my pleasureometer and yet appease the masses?" And so on. I'll start this corner off with one of my favorite philosophical essays on....you guessed it...Egoism by John Beverly Robinson.
=========================================

All the ideals which men generally think are realities, you have learned to see through; you have learned that they are your ideals. Whether you have originated them, which is unlikely, or have accepted somebody else's ideals, makes no difference. They are your ideals just so far as you accept them. The priest is reverend only so far as you reverence him. If you cease to reverence him, he is no longer reverend for you. You have power to make and unmake priests as easily as you can make and unmake gods. You are the one of whom the poet tells, who stands unmoved, though the universe fall in fragments about you.

And all the other ideals by which men are moved, to which men are enslaved, for which men afflict themselves, have no power over you; you are no longer afraid of them, for you know them to be your own ideals, made in your own mind, for your own pleasure, to be changed or ignored, just as you choose to change or ignore them. They are your own little pets, to be played with, not to be feared.

"The State" or "The Government" is idealized by the many as a thing above them, to be reverenced and feared. They call it "My Country," and if you utter the magic words, they will rush to kill their friends, whom they would not injure by so much as a pin scratch, if they were not intoxicated and blinded by their ideal. Most men are deprived of their reason under the influence of their ideals. Moved by the ideal of "religion" or "patriotism" or "morality," they fly at each others' throats - they, who are otherwise often the gentlest of men! But their ideals are for them like the "fixed ideas" of lunatics. They become irrational and irresponsible under the influence of their ideals. They will not only destroy others, but they will quite sink their own interests, and rush madly to destroy themselves as a sacrifice to the all-devouring ideal. Curious, is it not, to one who looks on with a philosophical mind?

But the egoist has no ideals, for the knowledge that his ideals are only his ideals, frees him from their domination. He acts for his own interest, not for the interest of ideals. He will neither hang a man nor whip a child in the interest of "morality," if it is disagreeable to him to do so.

He has no reverence for "The State." He knows that "The Government" is but a set of men, mostly as big fools as he is himself, many of them bigger. If the State does things that benefit him, he will support it; if it attacks him and encroaches on his liberty, he will evade it by any means in his power, if he is not strong enough to withstand it. He is a man without a country.

"The Flag," that most men adore, as men always adore symbols, worshipping the symbol more than the principle it is supposed to set forth, is for the egoist but a rather inharmonious piece of patch-work; and anybody may walk on it or spit on it if they will, without exciting his emotion any more than if it were a tarpaulin that they walked upon or .spat upon. The principles that it symbolizes, he will maintain as far as it seems to his advantage to maintain them; but if the principles require him to kill people or be killed himself, you will have to demonstrate to him just what benefit he will gain by killing or being killed, before you can persuade him to uphold them.

http://www.nonservia...m.Robinson.html
==========================
Let me know how you feel about this marvelous piece, and then tell me if you consider yourself an egoist in in the true sense of ideology as it was meant to be.

#2 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:38 PM

Recently I watched a performance of a great comedian whom I haven't heard of before. Bill Hicks was a controversial figure, intrigued by conspiracies and powered by the mission to open people's minds to independent thinking. At times he was rather vulgar, but I am sure his intent was to loosen our conservative side and receive life as a thrilling roller-coaster life, the vulgarity is evident in his spectacular performance in London, called the "Revelations," where he brought to life his obscene character the Goat Boy.

This is an excerpt from the Revelations.

Bill: You know whoís really bugging me these days. These pro-lifers ...

Smattering of applause.

Bill: You ever look at their faces? "I'm pro-life!"

(Bill makes a pinched face of hate and fear, his lips are pursed as though he's just sucked on a lemon.)

Bill: "I'm pro-life!" Boy, they look it don't they? They just exude joie de vie. You just want to hang with them and play Trivial Pursuit all night long.

Audience chuckles.

Bill: You know what bugs me about them? If you're so pro-life, do me a favour - don't lock arms and block medical clinics. If you're so pro-life, lock arms and block cemeteries.

Audience laughs.

Bill: Let's see how committed you are to this idea.

(Bill mimes the pursed lipped pro-lifers locking arms.)

Bill: (as pro-lifer) She can't come in!

If you haven't heard him, you should.

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:41 PM

Bill Hicks = God thumbup.gif

#4 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:44 PM

Ani jan BArov mashes / Votqernis Kherov lini dzer Corner@

ba espes en hyur @endunum ??? mi surj kam Tey ? chka

#5 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:48 PM

Seaphan, Azat jan hametseq smile.gif koshikner@ chenq hanum

#6 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Nov 17 2004, 12:41 AM)
Bill Hicks = God thumbup.gif

I knew you would appreciate him. biggrin.gif Except for that Goat Boy impression, which is repulsive especially after he starts talking about 16 year old girls. And that mullet haircut was a bit irritating. Otherwise he was brilliant. sad.gif

MosJan jan, thanks for the chocolates, buyts hishatsenm kez vor yes ahagin egoist em, so I would have to lay down the rules for appearing in my corner, I except only chocolate covered cherries or strawberries and only Godiva. A bottle of red wouldn't hurt. I prefer Kadarka, Hungarian wine $7.99. See shat hamest aghchikem.

As for shoes, good advice, considering your gender and the excessive flow of your hormones to your toes...please keep your shoes on at all times, unless you see me with an oxygen mask.

#7 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Nov 16 2004, 10:48 PM)
Seaphan, Azat jan hametseq  smile.gif  koshikner@ chenq hanum

Here you go Movses jan biggrin.gif

Now no more coffee for you. tongue.gif

#8 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (ExtraHye @ Nov 16 2004, 10:00 PM)
Here you go Movses jan  biggrin.gif

Now no more coffee for you.  tongue.gif

Shnorhakal Extrajan smile.gif te che es Egoiistkayis nuynisk mi bajak juri huys el chka -

Ani jan moratsa asem et Chokolat@ 3 tary araj 99c xanudits em arel smile.gif 3 tary a meqenayis mej er - de asu datark dzerqov chgam - Anush lini smile.gif

#9 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Nov 17 2004, 01:58 AM)
Ani jan moratsa  asem et Chokolat@  3 tary araj 99c xanudits em arel smile.gif 3 tary a  meqenayis  mej er - de asu  datark dzerqov chgam - Anush lini smile.gif

De hela spasi, iskakanits hima tsets kutes. Just don't take off your shoes, otherwise it will be an instant nuclear radiation and I will be helpless...if I am still alive. tongue.gif

#10 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:41 AM

im koshikners hech smile.gif du qo korki nstatsits vaxetsy smile.gif asum er te Mexcicacan a kerel esor smile.gif

#11 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:44 AM

Pa hooooo, es Anilevnel ira corner@ uni?

And we all have to make an offering to the goddess of HyeForum?

I just ask you to be gentel...

----

Movses jan, this is the difference between married men and single men. You offered her "chocolate" (if one can call it that) from a 99 cent store and I would offer to hand dip strawberries and cherries and raspberries in chocolate while I.... Er ... never mind. I would just give her a gift card from Rogers Chocolates.

-------------

Eve, Godiva is for armatures, you need to try Rogers Chocolates from our neighbors up north.

#12 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:58 AM

I didn't know the 99cent store sold See's candy. biggrin.gif I could always tell the diffrence between See's chocolate from other chocolates. wub.gif

Edited by ExtraHye, 17 November 2004 - 01:00 AM.

#13 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (ExtraHye @ Nov 16 2004, 11:58 PM)
I didn't know the 99cent store sold See's candy.  biggrin.gif  I could always tell the diffrence between See's chocolate from other chocolates.  wub.gif

o yes they do after it's left on the shelf for 5 years it's send to 99cent store

#14 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Nov 16 2004, 11:44 PM)

I just ask you to be gentel...

----

Movses jan, this is the difference between married men and single men.  You offered her "chocolate" (if one can call it that) from a 99 cent store and I would offer to hand dip strawberries and cherries and raspberries in chocolate while I....  Er ... never mind.  I would just give her a gift card from Rogers Chocolates.

-------------

Eve, Godiva is for armatures, you need to try Rogers Chocolates from our neighbors up north.

Azat jan hima patasxanem ? te che ?? wink.gif
che lav chem asi smile.gif

#15 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:46 AM

Oh Great Anileve...should we have Turkey or bulghourov pilav tonight? lol.gif

no seriously...which one?????????????????????????????????????

Edited by Maral, 17 November 2004 - 09:46 AM.

#16 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Maral @ Nov 17 2004, 11:46 AM)
Oh Great Anileve...should we have Turkey or bulghourov pilav tonight? lol.gif

no seriously...which one?????????????????????????????????????

Maral jan! You are the queen of food. Considering my nature something sensual will be more appropriate. Oysters and wine is a must.

#17 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Nov 17 2004, 02:44 AM)

Azatyush, you're a tease. wink.gif You know what to dangle in front of me.

You know forget Godiva, some of my favorite chocolates are Hershey's almond kisses and Rocher. And I am not the queen, I am simply a disciple of THE Queens of the forum: Nairi and Stormig.

Edited by anileve, 17 November 2004 - 11:29 AM.

#18 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:20 PM

I afraid to ask if it was the whip or the chocolate that got you excited. wink.gif

Vonts es poncho?

#19 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (anileve @ Nov 17 2004, 11:12 AM)
Maral jan! You are the queen of food. Considering my nature something sensual will be more appropriate. Oysters and wine is a must.

ohhh I'm so sorry I asked...bllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
and besides...that"s weekend food! wink.gif

Edited by Maral, 17 November 2004 - 01:44 PM.

#20 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:07 PM

Rogers chocolates are yum-yum-yummy! Even TDW thought they were great! smile.gif

Oysters are my favourite weekend food. I have only recently starting noticing the difference in the various varieties - so many to choose from! drool.gif Sorry to high-jack your (ego) thread Eve jan... forgive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users