6 replies to this topic

#1 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

This is not a thread about whether God exists or not. This not a thread whether YOU believe in God or not. God knows we have plenty of those threads already. smile.gif This thread is also not about the God that created time, space, the universe, and humans. Most importantly, this is certainly not about what the Bible says. This thread is meant to analyze a hypothetical ... IF there is a God who creates things within the realm of the Universe, how would He operate?

I have been approaching this question from an engineering perspective as essentially, I see "creation" as more of an engineering problem than anything else. I hear so many people beat their heads, jump up and down, and scream how we should teach kids "Intelligent Design" as an alternative to evolution. But to them, "Intelligent Design" means creating what we see now right away with no intermediate steps, no refinements, and no change. At the same time, as I look into this more and more, I realize evolution in itself is much more of an intelligent design than "Intelligent Design"! This is why I would like to label evolution as Intelligent Design.

Here are four reasons I think evolution is more intelligent that currently what is known as "Intelligent Design":

1. It is much easier to design complex systems using a set of fundamental starting pieces and a set of rules for interaction, growth and adaptation, compared to trying to design everything right away. Evolution wins.

2. Having automatically self-healing and self-upgrading systems is far superior to systems that can never be fixed or upgraded or things that require constant manual attention. Evolution wins.

3. Environments are constantly changing. Resources that were abundant before may become scarce and resources that were scarce before can become abundant. Having life that adapts to change is superior to life that is static and doesn't change. Evolution wins.

4. There is no such thing as a "flawless" design. Flaws cannot be described in the absolute. A flaw only becomes apparent under certain conditions when trying to reach certain objectives. A static, non-evolving design inherently assumes there will not be any flaws which in reality, will never be the case (even if the designer is God). Evolution wins.

Having said this, I think it is clear to see that evolution is much more of an intelligent design than what currently is claimed as "Intelligent Design". This is not to say evolution is fact and I am not trying to make the case that God didn't create humans. I am merely saying if I were God, I would have probably chose to set in motion a far superior system like evolution rather than going to create a whole bunch of things "Intelligently" and then have to sit back and stare a really boring static picture that could then reveal an infinite number of flaws, sending me back to the drawing board. Actually, I think countless redesigns of life will eventually lead to a design system that is based on notions of evolution!

#2 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

I can't think of a counter-argument. Then again, I can't think much at all at the moment.

#3 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

WOW! More of this Sip. smile.gif

#4 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

One thing though, Intelligent design refers more to a conscious creation.

#5 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (DominO @ Apr 14 2008, 05:40 PM)
One thing though, Intelligent design refers more to a conscious creation.

Agreed. I guess I am advocating that evolution can be a conscious design choice as opposed to something that sorta just happens by chance.

#6 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Apr 14 2008, 05:51 PM)
Agreed. I guess I am advocating that evolution can be a conscious design choice as opposed to something that sorta just happens by chance.

Sure, any intelligent programmer who would want to creat life, and which should survive the longest, would set some rules and let that universe evolve under those rules (better, if he has a powerful computer, creat thousands of universes with different rules to potentiate the results). For the same points you have raised, a god who likes efficiency would never create a universe the same way it is described in the Bible. If there is any process in the universe which comes really close to being perfect, it's evolution.

#7 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

and the bible is the simpleman's way of describing the creation, more specifically, the big bang...

"1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. "

come on... this IS the theory of big bang... the singularity, the big shine, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users