Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wh00t:

Mos Jan, they are lyrics to a song written around 1915 relating to the Genocide.. sorry about that but I hope you'll leave it for the time being, I'd like Thorny to see.

I think it is a lamentation on the fallen Turkish soldiers in distant corners of the Empire, Yemen to be specific. It is tangentially relevant to the Genocide in that such military (as well as civilian Muslim and possibly Christian as well) casualties during WW1 are lumped into a big number by the apologists and utilized in saying "Well, 2.5 million Ottoman subjects died too", implying that Armenians somehow bore responsibility for those deaths.

By the way, I do feel for the poor fallen soldiers sent to battle as cannon fodder, courtesy of the Ittihadist rulers of the time, whose "core competence" was the slaughter of civilians.

#42 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 07 December 2001 - 08:23 AM

quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write all this. Lots of interesting information on a (needlessly complicated??) educational system. What did your cousin do after the third test? I assume he rejected electrical engineering and theology both times, right?

Also, my dad says in his time he did indeed take a "general test", however he had gone to a "technical high school" and therefore a "technical" field was chosen for him. I'm afraid I don't have any more specific details, unless I asked him again.. if you had any questions I'll be happy to send an inquiry.

My cousin finished electrical (and electronical) engineering, became an assistant, then left academia because he had a project in his mind and was afraid of "losing" it to his supervisors (it was the subject of his thesis, but, because he didn't want them to steal his ideas, he was hazy in what he info he provided)... He now owns a business with his buddy and makes good money...

quote:
Thorny,

Havada bulut yok bu ne dumandir
Mahlede ölen yok bu ne figandir
Su yemen elleri ne de yamandir

Ano yemendir gülü cemendir
Giden gelmiyor acep nedendir
Burasi Mus‘tur yolu yokustur
Giden gelmiyor acep ne istir

Kislanin önünde asker sesi var
Bakin cantasinda acep nesi var
Bir cift kundurayla bir de fesi var

Ano yemendir gülü cemendir
Giden gelmiyor acep nedendir
Burasi Mus‘tur yolu yokustur
Giden gelmiyor acep ne istir...

I know it. Everyone in Turkey knows it (though I'm not sure it is sung exactly like this - I don't have good memory with lyrics).

quote:
Originally posted by MosJan:
wh00tJan - pleas do not!!! use turkish in this forum. Thank you...
MOvses

Dude, why do you have to be hysterical about everything?

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight Bark:

I think it is a lamentation on the fallen Turkish soldiers in distant corners of the Empire, Yemen to be specific. It is tangentially relevant to the Genocide in that such military (as well as civilian Muslim and possibly Christian as well) casualties during WW1 are lumped into a big number by the apologists and utilized in saying "Well, 2.5 million Ottoman subjects died too", implying that Armenians somehow bore responsibility for those deaths.

By the way, I do feel for the poor fallen soldiers sent to battle as cannon fodder, courtesy of the Ittihadist rulers of the time, whose "core competence" was the slaughter of civilians.

Yes... Those stupid wars (Ittihadists' and the sultans' before them) left many a family without its men...

#43 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 09:01 AM

So the song is referring to fallen Turks and not Armenians?

#44 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 09:08 AM

Oh and by the way my grandparents here went out and rented "Salkim Hanimin Taneleri" after reading about it in Hurriyet.. they didn't like it, "too dirty".

#45 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 09:19 AM

quote:
Oh and by the way my grandparents here went out and rented "Salkim Hanimin Taneleri" after reading about it in Hurriyet.. they didn't like it, "too dirty".

The rape scene? I'll agree... I didn't LIKE it per se, myself, but this film is a breakthrough for us... I don't even know if I am going to appreciate the movie ARARAT, but take a look at what I've done here:
http://www.network54...de/Forum/170347
I suspect it is going to be hot in the upcoming months...

#46 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 09:23 AM

quote:
So the song is referring to fallen Turks and not Armenians?

As far as I know, yes, but a lot of these are adaptations, both ways, from neighboring versions and all... For example, "Sarı Gelin" is one which is shared by both Turks and Armenians (don't know what you call it - and I don't have a working sound card to go out and [have a worthy] inspect[ion]), but they tell about two different stories... Or so I've heard.
<called to dinner... I think>

#47 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Thorny Rose:

The rape scene? I'll agree... I didn't LIKE it per se, myself, but this film is a breakthrough for us... I don't even know if I am going to appreciate the movie ARARAT, but take a look at what I've done here:
http://www.network54...de/Forum/170347
I suspect it is going to be hot in the upcoming months...

Your forum will surely become popular as May approaches. What a victory it would be if Ararat won the Golden Palm at Cannes. To be honest, I, like most Armenians, have very high hopes for this movie. I am a huge admirer or Egoyan's films (see Exotica if you have not already). He was nominated for Best Director at the Academy a few years back for Sweet Hereafter, and he has never produced inferior movies. He will surely take extra care with Ararat.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how much history the viewers will learn while watching the movie. His movies are interwoven and often confusing, I hope the message can get across despite this.

By the way, how do you intend to see Ararat? There's no way it will show on Turkish movie screens, at least not for a long while.

#48 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Thorny Rose:

As far as I know, yes, but a lot of these are adaptations, both ways, from neighboring versions and all... For example, "Sarı Gelin" is one which is shared by both Turks and Armenians (don't know what you call it - and I don't have a working sound card to go out and [have a worthy] inspect[ion]), but they tell about two different stories... Or so I've heard.
<called to dinner... I think>

I guess it depends on interpretation. My grandfather told me that "they say" it's about Armenians, but who knows...

#49 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 11:43 AM

quote:

By the way, how do you intend to see Ararat? There's no way it will show on Turkish movie screens, at least not for a long while.

Ah, you never know... (Neither do I.) However, I got to watch Yol a lot sooner than most Turks did - because I was abroad at the time and my parents were curious. (Unfortunately, I was perhaps a bit too young to appreciate it - for whatever reason.) So, who knows... Then again, I know people abroad - I could have it mailed to me. <grin>
Actually, I'm not worrying too much about Ararat right now... It is Karakoyunlu and Co. that are having folks breathe down on their necks... But then, this much publicity will probably protect them... Who knows. And what luck that they have people from the highest echelons behind them - Karakoyunlu himself! Wheeeeeeew!

quote:

I guess it depends on interpretation. My grandfather told me that "they say" it's about Armenians, but who knows...

I suppose... With the reference to soldiers away from their families and all, it is most likely least about interpretation and has more to do with adaption...

#50 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 02:53 PM

You probably don't know this, but I guess it can't hurt to ask... do you know how easy or difficult it is to obtain Egoyan films where you live? Has it become more difficult after ARARAT emerged? Has there been any boycott (state-sponsored or otherwise) of his films?

Just wondering. I was reading an Azeri news report that Cher (Armenian, as you likely know) was banned in Azerbaijan. Then another report came in that said not only was she not banned, but her material was constantly being played on the radiowaves.

#51 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 08 December 2001 - 06:06 AM

7 December 2001

Reactions to the Armenian movie "Ararat" produced by Hollywood

Ataturk University (AU) Turkish-Armenian Relations Research Center Deputy
Manager Dr. Erol Kucukoglu said that in with the request of Armenians,
Hollywood produced a film called "Ararat" and in this movie they claim to
have suffered acts of genocide in Van.

Kucukoglu said to the Anatolia news agency that they have learnt that the
Armenian Lobby try to show Turkish people carrying out acts of genocide and
named the film Ararat instead of Agri Mountain.

Kucukoglu said the director of the movie, Atom Egoyan, is a Canadian
citizen with Armenian origin and added: "There is no doubt that the
Armenian lobby gave the scenario to Egoyan with some money. Before watching
the movie we guess how the historical reality will be diverted. We are sure
that no historical source has been used in this film because historical
sources show that the reality is the opposite."

Armenians claimed that they were massacred, however, Kucukoglu said that
the reality is opposite. Kucukoglu explained that between May 8-21, 1915
Armenians massacred Turkish people which was one of the biggest massacres
in Turkish history killing 3,000 Turkish people in the incident. Armenians
left the huge mass graves that scientist know to date. Kucukoglu added that
these historical realities are all found in domestic and foreign sources
and could be easily proved. He continued that he does not understand why
the Armenians produced a film like this.

To date in East and Southeast Anatolia 185 mass graves have been found.
These graves belong to the Turkish people who were killed by Tasnak and
Hiincak gangs. Kucukoglu said the majority of these mass graves are located
in Kars, Van and Erzurum.

Kucukoglu said that the historical resources were recorded by the people
who lived during that period. One of these people was the famous french
writer Pierre Loti. Loti's work "Articles over Turk's" explained the
situations that they experienced in Van in the year 1896. Kucukoglu also
said that they have several other sources and these belong to foreign
writers and press members. However, there is no evidence in these sources
of an Armenian massacre.

-----------
Copyright 2001, Turkish Daily News. This article is redistributed with
permission for personal use of Groong readers. No part of this article
may be reproduced, further distributed or archived without the prior
permission of the publisher. Contact Turkish Daily News Online at http://www.TurkishDailyNews.com for details.

#52 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 12:31 AM

quote:
You probably don't know this, but I guess it can't hurt to ask... do you know how easy or difficult it is to obtain Egoyan films where you live? Has it become more difficult after ARARAT emerged? Has there been any boycott (state-sponsored or otherwise) of his films?

Just wondering. I was reading an Azeri news report that Cher (Armenian, as you likely know) was banned in Azerbaijan. Then another report came in that said not only was she not banned, but her material was constantly being played on the radiowaves.

No, I don't know at all...

#53 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 10:31 AM

Turkey Launches New Attack On Egoyan's Film
YEREVAN (Armenpress)—Turkey launched a new propaganda campaign on the Internet against the film "Ararat," written and directed by a Armenian-Canadian movie director Atom Egoyan.

A special web site was established, www.ermenisorunu.gen.tr, which presents the Turkish vision of the Armenian Genocide.

The antagonistic message in the Turkish site raises the question: what is the company trying to accomplish by producing this film, (a film expected to increase tension between the neighboring countries)?

Set against the production of an epic film about the Genocide of 1915, "Ararat" is a contemporary story that deals with the relationship between history in the making and the impact of historical events on people's lives today.

"Ararat" features Charles Aznavour, Eric Bogosian and other prominent stars and actors.

Miramax Films, an affiliate of the Walt Disney Co., has acquired the US distribution rights to Ararat

#54 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 12:15 AM

EGOYAN'S ARARAT TOPIC OF TURKISH SECURITY COUNCIL
According to the Turkish Sabah newspaper, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Devlet Bahceli chaired meeting entitled "Commission Against False Genocide Accusations." The meeting discussed issues regarding the soon-to-be-released movie "Ararat" which is directed by prominent Canadian-Armenian filmmaker Atom Egoyan.

During the meeting, a decision was made to utilize all resources of Turkey's culture and foreign ministries, the Prime Minister's office as well as other related organizations in order to prevent the movie's opening, which is dedicated to the Armenian Genocide and is scheduled to open in the spring of 2002.

The meeting was attended by the General Secretary of Turkish National Security Council (adjacent to Turkish Prime Minister's Office) Tuncer Kuluj, MIT (Turkish Secret Service) official Shenkal Atasaghu, officials from the foreign and internal affairs ministries, as well as the chairman of the Institution of Turkish History Yusuf Halacoghlu.

© Copyright AZG

#55 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 12:18 AM

> By ArmenPress.com>>
EGOYAN'S ARARAT TOPIC OF TURKISH SECURITY COUNCIL
ISTANBUL, JANUARY 23, ARMENPRESS: According to the Turkish Sabah newspaper, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Devlet Bahceli chaired meeting entitled "Commission Against False Genocide Accusations." The meeting discussed issues regarding the soon-to-be-released movie "Ararat" which is directed by prominent Canadian-Armenian filmmaker Atom Egoyan.
During the meeting, a decision was made to utilize all resources of Turkey's culture and foreign ministries, the Prime Minister's office as well as other related organizations in order to prevent the movie's opening, which is dedicated to the Armenian Genocide and is scheduled to open in the spring of 2002.
The meeting was attended by the General Secretary of Turkish National Security Council (adjacent to Turkish Prime Minister's Office) Tuncer Kuluj, MIT (Turkish Secret Service) official Shenkal Atasaghu, officials from the foreign and internal affairs ministries, as well as the chairman of the Institution of Turkish History Yusuf Halacoghlu.

#56 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 23 January 2002 - 02:26 PM

Turkish National Security Council? MIT (Turkish Secret Service)? Why are these organizations involved with efforts to stop the showing of the film "Ararat"? The Turks intend to turn the showing of a film into a Turkish security issue? Will they couch this in security terms? Is this what they are going to suggest to President Bush, US military officials and world leaders? What does this have to do with military or security matters, nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The truth is that these Turkish leaders know that they are vulnerable to bona-fide claims by Armenians for assets (bank accounts, land buildings and personal property) unlawfully confiscated from their Armenian parents and grandparents.

#57 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 10:53 AM

TURKISH FOREIGN MINISTRY PREPARING MEASURES TO PREVENT RELEASE OF "ARARAT" CANADIAN FILM ABOUT ARMENIAN GENOCIDE

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ "Turkey is worried with the coming release of "Ararat" film, which is about the Armenian genocide." The article titled "Turkey against "Ararat" and printed on the first page of "Le Monde" French influential newspaper says this. "Mediamax" agency reports the newspaper writes that tension is growing because of the film of Canadian film director of Armenian origin Atom Egoyan. "Turkey refuses to recognize that Armenians became victims of the genocide. They call Egoyan's film the second "Midnight express," – "Le Monde" writes. (Alan Parker's film called "Midnight express" tells about the terrible life conditions of the prisoners in Turkish prisons. Even 20 years after many people still remember the film, which told negatively on the image of Turkey.) The first shots of "Ararat", where heads of Armenians stuck on rods are shown, has caused the sharpest criticism. "When it became known that Egoyan's film may be nominated for the Cannes international cinema festival, mobilization of public consciousness took place in Turkey. Turkish Foreign Minister has already prepared a project of international appearance directed against "Ararat" film" – "Le Monde" writes.

Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited without reference to "PanARMENIAN.Net"

#58 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 11:01 AM

TURKISH FOREIGN MINISTRY PREPARED INTERNATIONAL SPEECHES AGAINST ‘ARARAT’
Turkey is mad about the upcoming release of the film ‘Ararat’, which tells about the 1915 Armenian Genocide, the French Le Monde newspaper writes in the article ‘Turkey is against ‘Ararat’.

The French newspaper says the movie dedicated to the Armenian Genocide shot by the Canadian-Armenian film director Atom Eghoyan, and where French-Armenian famous singer Charles Aznavour is starring, caused big tension in Turkey. ‘Turkey refuses to recognize that genocide was carried out against Armenians, and calls the new film the second ‘Midnight express’,- writes Le Monde. Particularly the first moments of the film, which shows heads of Armenians impaled along a long road, caused severe criticism in Turkey. ‘When it was informed that the film is going to be represented in the International Film Festival of Cannes a general mobilization of public opinion took place in Turkey, and the country’s foreign minister started to prepare a plan of speeches to be read in international instances’,-writes the French newspaper.

© Copyright AZG

#59 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 09 February 2002 - 12:01 AM

Most serious films about Turkey are not allowed to be played or are played in very restricted circles. Remember Yol ? Poor Yilmaz Guney...

This is the country that gave a hard time to one of its most celebrated writers, Yashar Kemal, for his defence, in very mild terms, of some degree of freedom for the Kurds.

Interestingly enough Kurdish protest music is widely available, legally. Groups such as Kizilirmak (the main singer, Ilkay Akkaya has a very beautiful voice, and they also do a lot of Anatolian traditional music), and Yorum (that I do not like very much).

#60 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 09 February 2002 - 10:06 AM

TURKISH FOREIGN MINISTRY PREPARING MEASURES TO PREVENT RELEASE OF "ARARAT" CANADIAN FILM ABOUT ARMENIAN GENOCIDE

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ "Turkey is worried with the coming release of "Ararat" film, which is about the Armenian genocide." The article titled "Turkey against "Ararat" and printed on the first page of "Le Monde" French influential newspaper says this. "Mediamax" agency reports the newspaper writes that tension is growing because of the film of Canadian film director of Armenian origin Atom Egoyan. "Turkey refuses to recognize that Armenians became victims of the genocide. They call Egoyan's film the second "Midnight express," – "Le Monde" writes. (Alan Parker's film called "Midnight express" tells about the terrible life conditions of the prisoners in Turkish prisons. Even 20 years after many people still remember the film, which told negatively on the image of Turkey.) The first shots of "Ararat", where heads of Armenians stuck on rods are shown, has caused the sharpest criticism. "When it became known that Egoyan's film may be nominated for the Cannes international cinema festival, mobilization of public consciousness took place in Turkey. Turkish Foreign Minister has already prepared a project of international appearance directed against "Ararat" film" – "Le Monde" writes.

Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited without reference to "PanARMENIAN.Net"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users