ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:literature

Posted 04 September 2001 - 06:30 AM

MEMO TO JACK S. AVANAKIAN
You say you are proud to be an Armenian.
The question is: Is Armenia proud of you?

You say we have no use for critics, and I say we have no use for jackasses. But since I cannot silence you and you cannot silence me, we are destined to be a source of irritation to one another…and may the best man (or jackass) win.

You say we have no use for men of thought, only for men of action.
A tentative definition of a jackass: anyone who acts without thinking.

I will not tell you who and what you are because I suspect you already know; but I will tell you what you appear to be…: and that, my friend, is not a very edifying spectacle.

When God created man He said unto him: ""Thou shalt not lie, because if you do, your nose will grow longer." When the devil heard this, he went up to the man and said: "Follow me and the size of your nose will remain constant." And since then, God worship has been replaced with devil-worship.

#2 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 06:06 AM

POLITICS
Whenever in a political discussion one side assumes to have truth on his side, you can be sure of one thing: that discussion will inevitably degenerate to a tribal or partisan exchange of received ideas, slogans, clichés, insults and threats.
There is no such thing as truth in politics.
Politics is driven not by scientific theory or theological dogma but by self-interest, loyalty, rhetoric, prejudice, ignorance, and anecdotal evidence. Forgetting this amounts to surrendering reason to emotion.

Between a bad reconciliation and eternal conflict, reconciliation – even one that may be detrimental to our long-range interests – is to be preferred.

Leon-Paul Fargue: "One cannot argue unless one is in agreement, and then only on points of detail."

The nobler the idea or ideology, the more crooks it will attract.

War is declared by optimists. It is the same with all human confrontations: at the beginning, ignorance and optimism; at the end, tragedy but not always wisdom.

#3 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 10:18 AM

NOTES / COMMENTS
It is true that I don’t always practice what I preach. That’s because I think in high altitudes and live in valleys.

The aim of discussion is compromise, and the aim of compromise is consensus. But this only in a civilized environment. Among barbarians and Armenians, the aim of discussion is disagreement, and the aim of disagreement is insults, threats, feud and eternal conflict.

So what if Armenian writers have been ignored, starved and silenced? Who after all cares how a scribbler is treated? But a power structure that has no use for critics and dissidents, very much like starving dog by the gate of a palace, means a kingdom in deep merde.

Bertrand Russell: "When people are mistaken as to what is to their own interest, the course that they believe to be wise is more harmful to others than the course that really is wise."

When I was young I entertained many ambitions. But old age has taught me humility and acceptance of my own limitations. My main goal in life now is to puncture the swollen egos of our self-satisfied swine. As for changing things: I leave that to our megalomaniacal morons with messianic ambitions.

Being Armenian looks easy only in Saroyan’s fiction. In reality it is such a demanding enterprise that most Armenians give up the effort and assimilate.

#4 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 06:02 AM

OBSERVATIONS
So what if I repeat myself? Who doesn’t? My question is: when was the last time you went up to one of our speechifiers, sermonizers, panchoonies, partisans and charlatans and told him he is recycling the same old crap?

Crap is crap no matter how you slice it. Turkish propaganda is to me as bad as Armenian propaganda. I will go further and say, Armenian propaganda is worse because we have fewer reasons to lie than they. Our lies are the lies of bunglers; their lies are the lies of killers. But what motivates them to lie is the same: fear of truth and fear of exposure.

All eternal conflicts are extensions of lies. Honest men tend to reach an agreement sooner or later. It is charlatans who wallow in eternal conflict and controversy. In crime, cherchez la femme. In controversy, cherchez la merde.

#5 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 05:56 AM

THE HARD PART
To search for the truth,
to find it,
to understand its ramifications and implications,
to put it into words with some degree of accuracy,
to find someone willing to publish or broadcast it:
these things require commitment, honesty,
perseverance, dedication, and courage,
all of which are, relatively speaking, easy.
What’s hard is convincing others.
What’s harder is convincing crooks and liars.
What’s unheard of is convincing charlatans
who have been brainwashed to believe
God is on their side.
But what is impossible is convincing an Armenian
who has made up his mind.

#6 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 10:04 AM

NOTES / COMMENTS
To believe in a false god is worse than atheism.

To those who accuse me of anti-Armenianism, I say: I am critical of Armenians only when I compare what we could have been with what we have become.

To those who say I am critical of Armenian institutions, I say: Name a single Armenian institution that enjoys the respect (as opposed to the contempt and hostility) of all other Armenian institutions; or, name a single Armenian institution that enjoys more than 5% community support.

For a brainwashed person, it is impossible to tell the difference between what he really thinks and feels and what he thinks he should feel and think. De-program a brainwashed Armenian chauvinist charlatan and the chances are you will expose a Turkish cobra

#7 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 04:04 AM

The unspoken message in most arguments: "Be like me!"

WINDOWS
The eyes are the windows of the soul: which may explain why most people look better in dark glasses.

CHARITY
Charity is a symptom of injustice and very often it does nothing but legitimize corruption and contribute to the degradation of the oppressed.

HAIKU
I can singe better than Pavarotti
said the braying jackass
and the tone-deaf vipers
hissed their agreement.

Q
What could be more absurd than to say: "My patriotism is good but my enemy’s patriotism is bad."

Q/A
"Why don’t you say something nice about Armenians?"
"Why should I add my whisper to the loud chorus of a hundred hirelings singing the same tune?"

STAGES
Stage I: I understand Armenians. I don’t understand Turks.
Stage II: I don’t understand Armenians.
Stage III: I am beginning to understand Armenians and, through them, Turks.

#8 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 09 September 2001 - 07:53 AM

LABELS
Sometimes we tend to forget that to be a good Armenian one must first be a good human being; and to be a good human being one must first be a human being.

What does it take to be a good Armenian?
First and foremost, an undying hatred for all Turks.
But an Armenian hating a Turk is only a label hating another label.

How to create a serial killer?
Easy! Take an ordinary, law-abiding, decent citizen and give him a label, a uniform, and a machine gun. If it weren’t for such law-abiding citizens, we would have had neither Nazi Germany nor Soviet Russia.

Take an ordinary decent Armenian, give him a label (Tashnak, Ramgavar, Communist) and watch him divide, fragment, and ultimately destroy the nation.

Placing labels above humanity is the source of all evil.
Labels suppress our humanity and unleash our animal nature.
Labels dehumanize.
Massacres are committed not by human beings but dehumanized labels.

And now the solution.
Whenever you have to choose between what’s good for the Party and what’s good for the nation, choose the nation; and when you have to choose between what’s good for the nation and what’s good for mankind, choose mankind.

#9 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 05:52 AM

SHISH-KEBAB WISDOM
Whenever, during a conversation with a fellow Armenian, I hear him quoting his grandmother, I know we have reached a dead and nothing of any use will be said after that.
Once, after reading the tenth or twentieth grandmother story in ARARAT Quarterly, I asked Leo Hamalian (the editor) why is it that we are being bombarded with so many old wives’ tales, he said: "Because Armenian grandmothers have played an important role in our lives."
What about the role that our writers have played? Why is it that we don’t quote Raffi, Baronian, Odian, Zohrab, Shahnour, Zarian, Massikian and many others who spent most of their lives thinking and writing about our problems and said some very insightful things that are as valid today as they were in their own time.
We brag about literature and culture but when it comes to solving our problems we quote our grandmothers.
Our grandmothers!
Not even our grandfathers.
And speaking of grandparents: I never knew my paternal ones; and all I remember of my maternal grandmother is that she spent most of her time in the kitchen. As for my grandfather: he was too busy trying to survive in a hostile environment to have any time to share his wisdom with us; either that or he was too honest to pontificate on the meaning of life and death or the ways of the wise man and the ways of the schmuck by delivering inane clichés as if they were pearls of wisdom.

#10 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 10:25 AM

CONFESSION
When I was young I too was a loud-mouth know-it-all smart-aleck wise guy who felt fully qualified to contradict, criticize, attack and even insult far better men than myself. And now God is punishing me….

ENIGMA
I am hated most by Armenians who say "Armenians are a loving people."
Figure that one out if you can.

RULES / EXCEPTIONS
As soon as you make a rule you are confronted with an exception.
As soon as you make up your mind about an Armenian, be prepared to be surprised. I am now talking about exceptional Armenians. No such luck with Armenian institutions, which, throughout our millennial history, have remained consistent in their predictability and in their mutual intolerance, hostility, fragmentation, self-mutilation, and incompetence.

SMILE
And then there is the Armenian who speaks as if he were a representative of the nation; and though only self-appointed, he speaks as if he were elected by acclamation.

#11 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 10 September 2001 - 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ara baliozian:
CONFESSION
When I was young I too was a loud-mouth know-it-all smart-aleck wise guy who felt fully qualified to contradict, criticize, attack and even insult far better men than myself. And now God is punishing me….

Damn if I don't have that feeling... (((:
/cgi-bin/forum/ultim...15&t=000061&p=2

#12 elovna

elovna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Thorny Rose:
[QB]

Damn if I don't have that feeling... (((:
/cgi-bin/forum/ultim...15&t=000061&p=2[/ QB]

Don't be sad Thorny Rose.
Time for our period! Let's meet in a multi cultural bar and have it together.

Pachikner!

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Aghtchik ]

#13 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 06:32 AM

THUS SPAKE JACK S. AVANAKIAN
I love my fellow Armenians but when anyone of them starts speaking about politics, I can’t help thinking: "Behold an imbecile who thinks he is a statesman of vision!"

It is always advisable to introduce a nasty remark about Armenians (like the one above) with the declaration, "I love my fellow Armenians!" Armenians love to hear that they are loved and they are easily taken by empty verbiage so long as it’s in their favor.

Where everyone – pundits, semi-pundits, laymen with single-digit IQs – pontificate like statesmen, the result will be chaos and paralysis – present company suspected….

Almost every day I come across an Armenian who thinks he can solve all the problems of the world. One is justified to wonder: Why is it that with so many experts we have so far failed to shed our tribalism? The answer must be: Tribalism is the best -ism! Nations, empires and continents of the world, shed your nationalism, imperialism, and continental-unionism and tribalize, you have nothing to lose but your pervert preference for prosperity, peace and progress.

#14 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 10:38 AM

REGARDLESS OF NATIONAL ORIGIN
I loathe people who use other people as a means to an end.
I loathe liars but what I loathe even more are dupes who are taken in by lies.
I loathe people who mix religion with politics and I consider them the most dangerous people on earth.
I loathe old men who teach their young to kill innocent women and children in the name of Truth, God, or Allah.
I loathe all talk of an afterlife.
I loathe people who are shameless and arrogant enough to speak in the name of God.
I loathe people who say "My lies are better than yours," as if to lie and to believe in lies – and ultimately to kill and die in the name of lies – were the only way to live.
When I think of such people, I love animals even more – including rats, scorpions and tarantulas.

#15 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 12 September 2001 - 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ara baliozian:

I loathe all talk of an afterlife.
I loathe people who are shameless and arrogant enough to speak in the name of God.

you just could have said "i'm atheist and loathe all religious people".
as simple as that.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Harut ]

#16 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 05:47 AM

MEMO
To those of my readers
who think I am an idiot
and continue to read and insult me
(why would anyone read an idiot?
What’s the merit in insulting an idiot?
Or asserting one’s intellectual superiority over one?)
I say:
You and your kind have been and continue to be
my main sources of inspiration
because you epitomize everything
that has gone wrong with our character and ethos.
Please keep reading and inspiring me
because – and here I would like to adopt
a plumber’s slogan:
YOUR CRAP IS MY BREAD AND BUTTER.

#17 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 10:39 AM

AXIOMS
There is a lunatic in all of us.

Most of us behave sanely most of the time
not because we are 100% sane
but because we are capable of suppressing our lunatic fraction.

All nations, societies and organizations
generate their lunatic fringe
or individuals who cannot suppress their lunatic fraction.

Intolerance, prejudice, hatred, wars and massacres
are promoted and committed by the lunatic fringe.

To support one lunatic fringe against another
in the name of God, patriotism, or ideology is to legitimize lunacy.

Terrorists belong to the lunatic fringe of mankind.

Terrorists have more to fear from their counterparts
(terrorists in the opposite or enemy camp)
than by any lawfully elected power structure, regime, administration, or state.

Q/A
"Before the U.S. overreacts by bombing countries suspected of harboring terrorists, it should allow the truth to come out through the justice system, slow as it may be."

Yes, of course! But what if the truth never comes out? And what if inaction promotes more terrorism?

"The U.S. is guilty of imperialism and it deserves what it gets by the oppressed fraction of mankind."

Would the world be a more peaceful and civilized place if, instead of the U.S., the dominant power were Russia, China, Iraq or Syria?
In what way a self-appointed Middle-Eastern or African dictator is morally superior to a democratically elected American president?

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Garo ]

#18 dragon

dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 09:17 PM

INCH MNATS
Hazaravor anmeghneru poshyatsumen ou miliaravor donalnerou hots tsntumen yedk inch mnats mer ashkharhin?

Mnats martu ir kazanoutiamp, mnats tsav ou darabank.

Mnats martun tserkov martun gordzanman norakouyn nmoushu, yerpek chhintsogh martgayin vayrakoutiunu...

Martu` kerin ir pnaztnerun.
Martu` badjaru ir gordzanumin.

...Dagavin chhashvadz kalik aghedneru.

#19 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 06:15 AM

AXIOMS / #7
Extremists are at the root of all feuds, conflicts, wars and massacres.

Extremists come in all sizes and shapes; the most dangerous are the ones who consider themselves moderates.

To adopt an extremist position and to recycle propaganda might as well be synonymous.

To adopt a set of moral values is easy; what is impossible is to impose them on someone who has already adopted a different set of values.

To assert moral superiority and to sermonize is easy; what is infinitely more difficult is to understand reality.

When a man says God is on my side, what he really means is the Devil.

Sermonizers or those who speak in the name of God are a dime a dozen; those who see all aspects of a problem objectively can be counted on the fingers of a leper.

Extremists cannot come to terms with their counterparts because they will agree on only one thing: total war and extermination. Moderates make better negotiators. Dissidents the best.

To adopt an uncompromisingly pro- or anti- position is to legitimize the lunatic fringe and to contribute to war and massacre.

#20 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 09:55 AM

MORE…
Since the good-guys and bad-guys view of life belongs to Hollywood and isthus of American origin, I find it especially ironic that anti-Americans have adopted it as their own.

All arguments that prove one side morally superior to another will convince no one but the morally and intellectually inferior.

The truly superior don’t brag.

To brag is a symptom of inferiority.

Man asserts moral superiority only when he behaves like swine.

I don’t believe in the moral superiority of Armenians. I don’t see why I should see moral superiority in anyone else.

No one has ever come up with a remotely plausible argument that tries to prove a Zulu, a Chechen, or a Saudi empire would be more humane than any other empire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users