• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

The Armenian word for biography is "kensakrutiun". It looks and sounds suspiciously close to the English word "consecration". The Wikipedia has the following on this entry:
"Consecration is the solemn dedication to a special purpose or service, usually religious. The word "consecration" literally means "to associate with the sacred". Persons, places, or things can be consecrated, and the term is used in various ways by different groups. Consecrated persons, places, things, even topics for discussion or subject matter (such as special teachings or doctrines), are also "circumscribed", i.e. a "circle is drawn" around them (from Latin circumscribere, from circum "around" + scribere "to write"): a boundary is set which must not be crossed, limiting or regulating rules and laws and warnings are in place, unauthorized approach is forbidden or barred or is deflected or redirected, and careless or casual treatment or use of the person, place, thing, doctrine or subject is a punishable offense (sacrilege) which (normally) discourages any unconsidered disrespect (see taboo)."

Does that mean that Armenians' biographies are "associated with the sacred":)

#2 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

The Armenian word for biography is "kensakrutiun". It looks and sounds suspiciously close to the English word "consecration". The Wikipedia has the following on this entry:
"Consecration is the solemn dedication to a special purpose or service, usually religious. The word "consecration" literally means "to associate with the sacred"....
---
Does that mean that Armenians' biographies are "associated with the sacred":)

ԿԵՆԱՑ :cheers: Կամաւոր
Խիստ Հետաքրքիր. Քարսուն մտրակի հարուած քեզի:
To Life :toast: Gamavor
Verrry Interrresting. Gamavor you get forty lashes for stealing my title of the Master Stretcher.
However NO!!!
The Armenian word for biography is ԿԵՆՍԱԳԻՐ/kensagir **. It is directly related to the Latin “bio=life- graphy=writing“.

Definition of BIOGRAPHY
1 : a usually written history of a person's life
2 : biographical writings as a whole
---
Definition of CONSECRATE
dedicated to a sacred purpose

The above word “dedicate” is interesting as in the Armenian consecration as in the dedication of an item, such as a cornerstone of a church is known as նուիրում- nviroum , օծում***- otsum.
Now we come to the “Կենս- kens” Կենսագիր.=Life -Writing.
Gamavor, don’t let me to forget to thank you for stimulating my brain.

Կեցցես դու Կամաւոր!! :thumbup:

We all assume that the Armenian word for “bio-life” is ԿԵԱՆՔ/կյանք(?) kyanq . Yes. except that there is no particular entry in the Etymological Dictionary-Armatakan.
AAH!!! Look up Կեն/ken as in կենաց/kenats/կենսագիր Once again we redirected to “կել/kel“, which in turn is from կեալ/kyal. Which in time the L turned to N as in կեան/kyan. ԿեԱՆՔ is the plural of կեն/կեան
I will stop here since it will take another ten pages to cite all the words derived and based on the root word.
**Note that I avoided the unnecessarily elongated կենսագրութիւն and կենսագրական
***Օծում. Another interesting word.

Edited by Arpa, 03 August 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#3 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Master Stretcher.

That's your official title as of this moment. :)

Edited by Zartonk, 02 August 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#4 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

That's your official title as of this moment. :)

Yes. քաշքշող . :D :P Just like some others say "chekishdermeh-ji-ian".
Ցիգ դու քաշիր հօ եզը. Արա հօ.

Edited by Zartonk, 02 August 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#5 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Bingo Arpa:) Now look at the second passage of my post. Kensakrutiun is to kensakir as consecration is to circumscribe from the latin "circumscribere", from circum "around" + scribere "to write" just like in “Կենս- kens” Կենսագիր.=Life -Writing:)

#6 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:59 AM

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users