• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Is it only I or you guys also have the feeling that customer service in USA sucks with each passing day.

I don't know...I've noticed this "trend" few months ago, but with every day passed this feeling is reinforced at every corner, be it at the post office, bank, restaurant. You name it.

Just today, I had three unpleasant encounters in three different locations. First "Home Depot". I waited good 25 minutes to finally one of the clerks had mercy to come and help me with my keys. Instead the happy clerks were standing at the register and laughing and talking and my remarks about their duties were taken with grind of salt. Maybe I'm getting old.

The next one (same day) was at the bank. I just wanted to know what happened to my checks that I ordered 3 weeks ago (they should have been due by 10 business days). The lady dealing with this stuff said that she doesn't know, and it seamed to me that she doesn't care either. Well I wonder if she doesn't know who knows??? Then I had to request simple inquiry that takes 30 seconds and it is done by simply typing the social security number. My goodness! I regretted the moment I asked for this. It took them 30 minutes to finally figure out where and what to type in!!!

Third and last one was at the post office. There was a line of at least 30 people and only one officer helping them. In the same time you can clearly hear the loud laughter coming from the back of the office of another 4-5 post officers. The line was growing and growing and after another 25 minutes few of the clerks showed up from behind and asked next in line "May I help you?".

I don't know who to blame? The Staffing agencies, the weather, the management, the institution, the government, the politicians?

#2 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

Is it only I or you guys also have the feeling that customer service in USA sucks with each passing day.

Good God, are you kidding me man?! Do you know how many hours -HOURS!- of my life have been waisted just trying to REACH a costumer "service" representative?!

I swear to you gams, I spent a good six hours on the phone for one lousy product from a damned cellular provider. I won't name any names, but it starts with "cing" and ends with "ular"

#3 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ Apr 4 2007, 10:08 AM) View Post

Good God, are you kidding me man?! Do you know how many hours -HOURS!- of my life have been waisted just trying to REACH a costumer "service" representative?!

I swear to you gams, I spent a good six hours on the phone for one lousy product from a damned cellular provider. I won't name any names, but it starts with "cing" and ends with "ular"

The best way to reach any company that has automated answering service, which promts you to punch in numbers to get to the right person is just dial their number and wait do not follow their promts shortly a live person will answer your call then you ask the person to connect you to the right department.
I do this all the time and it works.

#4 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

yeah, but if the person you're getting connected to is a numbskull, than you're not any better off. I have to admit I don't necessarily blame the customer service reps... sometimes they're idiots, but sometimes it's just a symptom of greater problems within the company.

#5 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(vava @ Apr 4 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post

yeah, but if the person you're getting connected to is a numbskull, than you're not any better off. I have to admit I don't necessarily blame the customer service reps... sometimes they're idiots, but sometimes it's just a symptom of greater problems within the company.

Just act dumb. Pretend you have dial phone, not a digital one and wait for a live person to pick up.

#6 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(vava @ Apr 4 2007, 10:39 AM) View Post

You (companies) pay peanuts, you get peanuts.
Customer reps gets paid pretty low.

#7 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

The best way to reach any company that has automated answering service, which promts you to punch in numbers to get to the right person is just dial their number and wait do not follow their promts shortly a live person will answer your call then you ask the person to connect you to the right department.

I know. It took me a year and some to master all the evil ways of costumer inquiries. But I mastered them ALL. Either zero your way in (works after 3) or act dumb. I don't really blame the reps, they're mainly just kids, but what gets me is how many times a company can make mistakes and give you crap for service. That takes you up & into bad management.

Edited by Zartonk, 04 April 2007 - 02:02 PM.

#8 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ Apr 4 2007, 03:36 PM) View Post

I know. It took me a year and some to master all the evil ways of costumer inquiries. But I mastered them ALL. Either zero your way in (works after 3) or act dumb. I don't really blame the reps, they're mainly just kids, but what gets me is how many times a company can make mistakes and give you crap for service. That takes you up& into bad management.

But the company share holders are happy with their dividends.

#9 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(gamavor @ Apr 3 2007, 06:53 PM) View Post

I don't know who to blame? The Staffing agencies, the weather, the management, the institution, the government, the politicians?

Immigration.

Seriously, I experience this all the time. The natives are so much more pleasant to deal with; it's ingrained in their culture to smile and be courteous all the time. With the new immigrants (even if they've been here for decades), working in various fields, be it at the post office or the grocery store, one sees much more careless behaviour and attitude towards the customers.

#10 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Outsourcing can also be blamed. I get a lot of costumer service from New Delhi and Bombay.

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ Apr 5 2007, 01:25 AM) View Post

Outsourcing can also be blamed. I get a lot of costumer service from New Delhi and Bombay.

I have also ran into CS helpdesk from Mumbay, specially dealing with hi-tech problems.
You know what?
They have been more knowledgeable and helpful than our native HS dropouts whose mother tongues sounds not to be inglese.
Right now I am in the middle of setting straight an employment issue that has been going on for 4 months, and everytime I call, I get this; "Umm! Let me see, I don't see what has been said previously". Is it because they don't know which (Bombay/Mumbay)buttons to push?

Edited by Arpa, 04 April 2007 - 07:41 PM.

#12 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

They have been more knowledgeable and helpful than our native HS dropouts whose mother tongues sounds not to be inglese.

Agreed though. They might have accents as thick as anything, and they might be a little new their profession -repeating "I can help you with that" after every question/statement-, but their tech knowledge is solid.

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ Apr 5 2007, 01:43 AM) View Post

Agreed though. They might have accents as thick as anything, and they might be a little new their profession -repeating "I can help you with that" after every question/statement-, but their tech knowledge is solid.

Accent! No, they don't. Not any thicker than some of our Afro-Cubano, Puorto Rico, Russo, Bosnio, Arabo ones. Shall we add "Armeno"? tongue.gif
You think I am kidding? One time I did run into a helpdesk monitor. Right away I sensed an Armenian accent. And when I responded in Armneian she was floored and asked if we could be connected. I wish I had saved her name and where I met her, so to speak.

Edited by Arpa, 04 April 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#14 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

The other day when my internet was acting up I called for technical support and I was assisted by a pre-recorded voice service thing the whole way through. It was weird.

#15 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

It's the Robot Future man!

#16 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

What if it becomes self-aware? unsure.gif

#17 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

I hate that stupid pre-recorded helper person. She's SO ornary!
"I did not understand your response, if you are looking for technical assitance, say 'technical assistance'".... Why can't I just hit the "1"???? mad.gif

#18 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:27 PM

I cant tell you how much I hate the customer support service calls in the US lately

http://gethuman.com/us/

#19 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

That, Azat, is a golden link for anyone with the press 0 blues.

#20 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:37 PM

And WHAT a proud class: F, F, F, F....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users