Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Google Phone Faces Off Against Apple

http://www.t-mobileg1.com/

T-Mobile's G1 Is First Phone Powered by Google's Android System
It may not knock the iPhone off its throne, but the new T-Mobile G1 could finally give the reigning smart phone some much-needed competition.

During a news conference Tuesday, T-Mobile and Google executives unveiled the highly anticipated "Google-powered" phone and revealed that the HTC-manufactured G1 would go on sale Oct. 22 for $179 -- $20 less than the Apple favorite.

Die-hard iPhone fans may think that the G1 isn't as elegant or slick as their beloved smart phone. But, the G1's full-size keyboard and user-friendly interface could attract those who haven't yet embraced hand-held computers.

In size and shape, a closed G1 resembles a slightly chubby iPhone. But Google and T-Mobile say it isn't the phone's exterior that will give the phone an edge -- it's the operating system underneath.

The G1 is the first phone powered by Android -- Google's open source mobile phone software platform that gives innovative third-party developers the opportunity to create new applications.

When the G1 hits stores Oct. 22, the companies estimate that up to 100 applications will be available through the new Android Market. But they are betting that growth will mushroom.

"We really believe that open [source] is really going to drive the future of the mobile Internet," said Cole Brodman, senior vice president of product development and chief technology and innovation officer for T-Mobile USA.

"The beauty and the magic of this Android platform is a very rich tool kit for third parties to write applications and then bring them to market," he said. On Tuesday, the companies highlighted two applications that will be available at launch: ShopSavvy and Ecorio.

ShopSavvy allows G1 owners to scan the bar code of any product to comparatively shop. And, using the G1's Global Positioning System technology, Ecorio helps users track their travels and monitor their carbon footprints.

Other applications could enable users to share music with each other, hail cabs with one click on their phone or receive location-based weather reports.

http://www.abcnews.g...d...0750&page=2

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

http://abcnews.go.co...ndex?id=5820928

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

so did anyone get one ??

Azat ?? Sip ? inch kaseq ??

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

I've had one for a while. It is an amazing phone. I love it. I can't directly compare it to the iPhone but from what I have seen, the advantages of G1 definitely outweight some of the useless fancyness of the iPhone.

My main problem is with T-Mobile. Their signal is not nearly as good as Verizon in the places I am and their 3G network is still catching up. So even though the phone and the android platform is simply awesome (even in this very early release stage), the service might be disappointing. So personally, if I didn't have a G1 already, I might wait to see how Verizon will do with Android and if they come up with any phones (since I am under contract with them anyway for my personal phone).

But man, this G1 is FAST. And most awesome of all, you never close an application .. you just keep opening stuff and it never slows down! The screen and the touch stuff work well. The built in GPS works very well with google maps and street view. Gmail and google calendar are perfectly integrated in it so there are basically no hastles with syncing or moving data around.

Edited by Sip, 23 October 2008 - 06:38 PM.

#5 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

By the way, one of the cooler apps on the G1 is the ability to scan the bar code of something using the phone camera and then having it search for more info or good deals for it on the internet. biggrin.gif

#6 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Oct 23 2008, 05:35 PM)
By the way, one of the cooler apps on the G1 is the ability to scan the bar code of something using the phone camera and then having it search for more info or good deals for it on the internet. biggrin.gif

hetaqrqir e smile.gif siram smile.gif

#7 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

There is really no comparison between the G1 and the iPhone. for real...

Maybe in a year when the have more than 5 apps on the G1 but when it comes to usability/functionality and design/looks it cant be compared.

#8 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

So which one is better? tongue.gif

On the G1, out of the box you get gmail, calendar, instant messaging, google maps (with full gps) + streetview, a very functional multi-window browser (yes, you can open several websites), media player and all the rest of the stuffings.

As far as apps, there is a TON even now. I am not sure how many are released to the public but it's only a matter of time when there will be far too many G1 apps that you will know what to do with (most for free).

The main advantage Apple has with the iPhone is their store where you are forced to buy their stuff. But in terms of functionality, the G1 is one of the most functional phones I have ever played with. It simply works and does what it does very well. I don't have to think anymore before quickly whipping out the phone to look something up, check for a direction, put something on my calendar or answer the non-stop emails that I get.

The head-ache I had with my windows mobile phone was all the syncing I had to do for calendar, email, tasks etc. With this, it's all sync'd to my google account all the time with no additional steps required on my part.

#9 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

im problem@ iphoni vra en e vro matners shat ments en es zibil tuch keybordu hamar,, yerkrod@ yerb xosum em heraxosov yete akanjs k@pni et hamarnerin kam urish mi kojaki kam anjatvuam kam mute a linum kam el astvats gity te inch

che yes gnum em G1 vertsnem vagh@

#10 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Oct 25 2008, 09:39 PM)
im problem@ iphoni vra en e vro matners shat ments en es zibil tuch keybordu hamar,, yerkrod@ yerb xosum em heraxosov yete akanjs k@pni et hamarnerin kam urish mi kojaki kam anjatvuam kam mute a linum kam el astvats gity te inch

che yes gnum em G1 vertsnem vagh@

ba vor hayerenov message es ugharkum u sksum a ughghumner anel... u stacvum a inchvor mi barradi message...
asenq, tpum es:
"barev, vonc es? lav, gnaci... bari gisher..."
u stacvum a:
"barev, honck we? have, gnaci... Barry fisher..." or something like that... mad.gif

#11 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

lol.gif

#12 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:15 AM

jishta asuam HArout@ smile.gif

et uggghumner@ vonst k@Lini anjatel ?>?

#13 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,682 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Oct 26 2008, 06:15 AM)
jishta asuam HArout@ smile.gif

et uggghumner@ vonst k@Lini anjatel ?>?

Put it on the ground and kick it hard three times against the wall.
If it doesn't fix it repeat the step all over again. tongue.gif

#14 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Yervant1 @ Oct 26 2008, 08:37 AM)
Put it on the ground and kick it hard three times against the wall.
If it doesn't fix it repeat the step all over again. tongue.gif

Thank you Yervand jan IT WORKED !!!

#15 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Harut @ Oct 25 2008, 11:59 PM)
ba vor hayerenov message es ugharkum u sksum a ughghumner anel... u stacvum a inchvor mi barradi message...
asenq, tpum es:
"barev, vonc es? lav, gnaci... bari gisher..."
u stacvum a:
"barev, honck we? have, gnaci... Barry fisher..." or something like that... mad.gif

Same problem here. I hate the correction feature. I know how to spell. And I don't need it to "guess" what I am trying to type. I KNOW what I am trying to say. Lol.

Some of the corrected sentences are very funny. There is one statement in particular, a greeting in Armenian, that comes out veryyyy wrong. Lol.

#16 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

Motorola/Verizon Droid ... now I've had it for about a month ... A+++++++

Edited by Sip, 11 December 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#17 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Since we're talking about competition, it sure as hell wasnt the Palm Pre. They already have the Pixi coming out..

#18 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:29 PM

The Pre really isn't bad as a phone - it kind of resurrected Palm. We'll see if they can build on success.
iPhone's are still dominant though - and now are slowly working their way into the business world with full MS exchange integration, which was formerly the exclusive domain of the Blackberry. I love my BB btw, but if I could pick up a droid in these parts, I probably would...

#19 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

Overall Droid is good but it has a few problems. The keyboard is useless and hard to use. Battery cover design is worse and keeps opening if you put the phone in your pocket. The rest are software problems - SMS program was constantly freezing until the last update, email application is not reliable and has several bugs - all my pop accounts got wiped out with no reason once, emails marked as read get reset to unread all the time, no way to use even one signature in emails (makes no sense), emails get stuck in outbox all the time and I have to power off and on again to make it work. Hopefully will get patched in future updates. Good things about it - very fast and responsive, haven't had any issues with wi-fi setup, bluetooth, web browser.

#20 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

POP? lol I got such a flashback of the 90's!!!! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users