83 replies to this topic

#21 Eurocentric

Eurocentric

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

Popular among whom? That's the million dollar question. biggrin.gif
As for Sirusho, she cant sing at all and the only worthy thing she ever did was Gusan Sheram. So obviously those that have no integrity or much talent are going to try to appeal to the bottom dwellers of society or disappear into oblivion.

#22 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:armenians, armenian music

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Eurocentric @ Sep 12 2006, 11:05 PM) View Post
See this is where we can't continue this discussion anymore. You see, as far as i'm concerned we are Western!

Btw, why wont Aloyan start rapping? Join "Hay Tghek" maybe? Demand is high for that shit as well you know.

for me we are different than western...our music doesn't have that simple 2/4 beat that is used alot in russian and tata music, we're not supposed to be using it...our music doesn't have saz in it, harout p uses it and abuses it more than tatoul lol...its sad, we need to instruct armenian people about what actually is ours, then we can resolve such situations

#23 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

i believe that the most important aspect in the music industry is to be able, in case ur gona sing rabiz, to preserve also the traditional and more armenian music in his "musical personality" and armen aloyan has achieved that incredibly, he collaborates with great composers such as garlen mirzoian, and also sings at weddings...mostly popular songs but sometimes rabiz too...the late gayane danielian was in the same situation too, before she died, she made rabiz albums, but ive seen concerts of her where she sings ashoughagan songs...its all a matter of principles, as long as u stick to ur principles u can still explore something else...its called reaching a higher level of maturity, where singing rabiz won't be compromising ur musical intellect nor principles

#24 Eurocentric

Eurocentric

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(hayemyes @ Sep 13 2006, 04:36 PM) View Post
...its sad, we need to instruct armenian people about what actually is ours, then we can resolve such situations

This is the only thing I agree with. Sad or not it's a result of unfortunate historical events in the past 600 years.

#25 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

DUDE, I AM all late in this discussion and don't care to be in it either, as I (and all of us) have already gone over this a million times, but PLEASE let me just say this:

HAROUT IS NOT RABIZ.

Have fun.

#26 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

this denial is purely selective because it is very hard for most of us to admit that someone we love is in a bad category...i mean let's admit it, if tata and aram are rabiz, harout is rabiz, u cannot describe him any other way...i explained the reasons that hold my argument, he modulates his voice way more than tata does, and armenian music doesnt have modulation like that...he uses alot of instruments played in a way meant to give an oriental feeling such as the saz, eventhough it is not an armenian instrument it can be played in a clean way, but its not in harout's music, also some of his songs are in fact translations of turkish songs...thats my point

#27 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

the word rabiz is the most wrongly used and abused word in the armenian music scene...

for example, the music of tata, tatoul, armenchik, and aram are so far apart from each other that putting them in the same category is just... wrong...

#28 Eurocentric

Eurocentric

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Harut @ Sep 14 2006, 08:26 AM) View Post
the word rabiz is the most wrongly used and abused word in the armenian music scene...

for example, the music of tata, tatoul, armenchik, and aram are so far apart from each other that putting them in the same category is just... wrong...

Why? I and many others don't see the difference.
Can you tell the difference between Deathgrind, Blackened Death, Grindcore, Deaththrash and Goregrind genres?
The Dixie Chicks, Dwight Yoakam and Johnny Cash are far apart from eachother, yet all three fall under the label of Country Music.

Edited by Eurocentric, 14 September 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#29 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ Sep 13 2006, 08:46 PM) View Post
HAROUT IS NOT RABIZ.

100% agreed.

In my opinion, Harout Pamboukjian is in an entire category all by himself. And I mean that in a very very good way.

Edit: So IF Harout is Rabiz, then non of the other candidates (e.g. Tata, Tatoul, Armenchik, Aram, etc etc) can possibly be Rabiz because they are no where near the same league as Harout.

Edited by Sip, 14 September 2006 - 09:03 AM.

#30 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

the problem in this discussion, as i see it, is the fact that we all have our favorite singers and we cannot let him or her be in the same category as another one whom we don't like or simply not approve of...we should be able to get past our tastes to judge the music we hear...
rabiz can be of good quality or of bad quality, but it's still rabiz...for those who love japanese cars, it's like an american car, it can be of a good quality but it still remains an american car...aram, tata, armenchik and harout provide good quality of rabiz, one that is closer to popular music, whereas tatoul, hayko and the rest don't give us a clear image since many recordings are live or with cheap budget and orchestration...i mean someone who brings out 10 cds in a year is surely cutting down somewhere and its often the quality...
for me, if tata and aram are qualified rabiz, then so is harout...i've never understood the immensity of harout's fame because he has only very few original songs and he just sings everyone else's music...see this is another point we can start arguing about, but ppl will say he does it well...it comes to the same thing as me saying harout does rabiz, but he does it well or aram does rabiz and he does it well...its all a matter of quality...

#31 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

Could someone please explain how Tata is rabiz? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought of rabiz as in translating Turkish music to Armenian

#32 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:55 AM

we need to categorize RABIZ

Rabiz: + Pambukjyan / Tata / Armenchik / Asatryan / Aloyan

Rabiz: Tatul / Shavo / Mno / Afon

Rabiz: - Nazo ETC.....

#33 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(ExtraHye @ Sep 14 2006, 09:52 AM) View Post
Could someone please explain how Tata is rabiz? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought of rabiz as in translating Turkish music to Armenian

Janik he is RAbiz

#34 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

One of the reasons i admire leyla saribekian is because she privileges quality over anything else...when asked what she thinks about current artists in the armenian music scene, in reference to rabiz, she answered i tolerate all kinds of music, as long as it is done with quality and good work...that's the best answer i could think of...i respect her for that, and for the high quality of her work which reflects alot of attention and devotion

#35 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(MosJan @ Sep 14 2006, 12:55 PM) View Post
we need to categorize RABIZ

Rabiz: + Pambukjyan / Tata / Armenchik / Asatryan / Aloyan

Rabiz: Tatul / Shavo / Mno / Afon

Rabiz: - Nazo ETC.....

thank you mosjan, u understood what i was trying to say smile.gif

#36 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,739 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(hayemyes @ Sep 14 2006, 12:57 PM) View Post
One of the reasons i admire leyla saribekian is because she privileges quality over anything else...when asked what she thinks about current artists in the armenian music scene, in reference to rabiz, she answered i tolerate all kinds of music, as long as it is done with quality and good work...that's the best answer i could think of...i respect her for that, and for the high quality of her work which reflects alot of attention and devotion

I have her "Hayi Ouje" cd and can't get enough of her. smile.gif

#37 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

Is Alla Levonian rabiz?

#38 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Sep 14 2006, 05:02 PM) View Post
Is Alla Levonian rabiz?

definitely not...that is what i would caracterize as armenian pop...modern pop...now let's see how harout would fit along side alla levonian for those who dont like to put him in a rabiz category...

#39 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Sep 14 2006, 02:02 PM) View Post
Is Alla Levonian rabiz?

sly.gif no

#40 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(hayemyes @ Sep 14 2006, 02:54 PM) View Post
definitely not...that is what i would caracterize as armenian pop...modern pop...now let's see how harout would fit along side alla levonian for those who dont like to put him in a rabiz category...

Don't forget to add tata to that list.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users