#21 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 25 2004, 12:06 PM)
Interesting Armen, I never thought that all Jazz was about sex...

Sasun jan, I said sex and love. Not only sex.

#22 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Jan 25 2004, 12:17 PM)
Armen
Jazz is not one or the other or sociology, sex, religion etc. It is music-an abstract art form and therefore narrowing to any inspiration is just oversimplification.
I would refrain to define an Art form like Jazz since life as we know is too complicated to squeeze into platitudes.

Armat,
Overcomplication is not the ultimate truth. Things come simple from time to time. Don't put words into my mouth, I never said jazz is sociology, sex or religion. Life is both complicate and simple.
You said what you think Jazz is not. And you only put 1 phrase about what you think Jazz is - "an abstract form of art" (than you advised to refrain even from that definition).
Overall you sound like "Armen, I'm smarter than you".
Could you please elaborate on what you think Jazz is.

#23 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (ArmenSarg @ Jan 25 2004, 03:22 PM)
Sasun jan, I said sex and love. Not only sex.

Oopss, my bad smile.gif

#24 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:armenia

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:42 PM

jazz is a musical art from.
Its not sex.

i can play jazz on the piano...well improvise , that doesn't mean that im having SEX
or even thinking of SEX

biggrin.gif

#25 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:38 PM

You're not improvising. You're copying other players.

#26 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:16 AM

This thread is awesome Armat, good work. I have a very serious affair with Jazz, so to me this is a very passionate subject. Wow Nina Simone, her voice soars, filling the air with a spellbinding resonance. It exudes
tranquility, with every single note she penetrates your stomach and sends
hypnotic vibrations to your toes, leaving little knots along the way. Her voice
is smoky and nostalgic; weaves these sensual patterns that leave you yearning
for more. My favorite album is "Nina Simone After Hours". And my favorite song, although it's hard to select, I'd have to say "Don't explain"

Hush now, don't explain
your my joy, your my pain
My life is yours love
don't explain

Billie is impossible to replicate, her voice is raspy, deep and gloomy. Miles can create swirls with his trumpet like no one I have heard. My favorite album of all time is Kind of Blue, there is nothing like it, talk about sensual. Duke's Caravan is
tantalizing. Ella is a true siren in every sense of the word, her voice can hit
highs and lows unlike any other, it just swivels. Oscar Peterson is a master of classic jazz. I have to say that I adore avangard jazz just as well, but quality is very important.

There is a club in Manhattan called Small's, hence the space. You can bring your own booze and it's always packed, pretty much only devoted lovers of jazz go there, since there is nothing special when it comes to decor and no food to enjoy. The music is in your face so to speak, every sound vibrates through the space. The artists are usually fantastic and up and coming, so there is no pretentiousness, and this sense of genuiness. The improv is usually the best part of the jazz, because you can really see the synchronisation and communication between the artists and the instruments. Ok I am getting carried away. artist.gif

I can completely understand why there is an association between sex and jazz,
truly good jazz is pretty orgasmic. What can I say, I am a romantic. wub.gif

#27 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:armenia

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:53 AM

im not an expert on jazz. but improvisation is not copying other peoples work, but it means to come up with new stuff........................... sad.gif

Edited by koko, 27 January 2004 - 07:35 AM.

#28 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (ArmenSarg @ Jan 25 2004, 02:39 PM)
Armat,
Overcomplication is not the ultimate truth. Things come simple from time to time. Don't put words into my mouth, I never said jazz is sociology, sex or religion. Life is both complicate and simple.
You said what you think Jazz is not. And you only put 1 phrase about what you think Jazz is - "an abstract form of art" (than you advised to refrain even from that definition).
Overall you sound like "Armen, I'm smarter than you".
Could you please elaborate on what you think Jazz is.

Please read again you missed my basic theme!
Jazz is not one or the other or sociology, sex, religion etc. (meaning inspiration is endless!any source!death,love,personnal need to unload pain,drugs etc.)It is music-an abstract art form and therefore narrowing to any inspiration is just oversimplification.(meaning can't be generalized!!!)
I would refrain to define an Art form like Jazz since life as we know is too complicated to squeeze into platitudes.Last sentance speaks for itself

#29 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (koko @ Jan 27 2004, 06:53 AM)
im not an expert on jazz. but improvisation is not copying other peoples work, but it means to come up with new stuff........................... sad.gif

Koko be careful playing Jazz since Armen has the ability to hear you play three thousand miles away and forthermore to judge your level of playing as well. next time please Koko closed all the windows and make sure the door is closed as well. lol.gif

#30 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:27 AM

Anileve - a former g/f of mine is an agent who books jazz & comedy acts in the city. She also sings herself - wonderful voice...but its with blues (where her voice is low down sultry/raspy) where she shines (think of the movie commitments if you want to get a sense of her repitoire...and more of course...she's been in several bands...often several at once...one I recall was the Rockomatics...another - don't remember the name of it..but it was her fronting a bunch of entertainment industry lawyers who had this little side jazz band...forgot the name - but it had something to do with being lawyers..anyway...) Her (current?) husband is a producer of Jazz acts and owns his own studio. They press their own CDs and sell them in the city. Its way cool. Every so often I'll head up to the city and we'll hit the clubs all night and party..way fun...she likely books act at your little club..sounds like her kind of place...

#31 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:30 PM

Sounds kewl Winston. What is her name, I will definitely look out for her. Also Diane Reeves is a relatively new artist, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with her; she has a great bluesy timbre. I heard her version of the Bubbles in a glass of champagne by Billie Holiday and it was most impressive.

Also my favorite Miles Davis piece comes to mind “My Funny Valentine”, the way he maneuvers the melody is mesmerizing. Takes the original Chad Baker and gives it a delicious twist, Davis is just a genius.

#32 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Jan 27 2004, 09:34 AM)
Please read again you missed my basic theme!
Jazz is not one or the other or sociology, sex, religion etc. (meaning inspiration is endless!any source!death,love,personnal need to unload pain,drugs etc.)It is music-an abstract art form and therefore narrowing to any inspiration is just oversimplification.(meaning can't be generalized!!!)
I would refrain to define an Art form like Jazz since life as we know is too complicated to squeeze into platitudes.Last sentance speaks for itself

OK I got you Armat. Thanks for clarifying. But I would advise to review my original post. I never said that sex is the source (here you missed the whole point), I said sex (and I clarified what I mean by sex) is the PRIZM through which everything goes...including the flow of emotions inspired from the sources you mentioned.
The phrases "Don't generalize" and "Don't simplify" are a form of mental manipulation, which do not have any value if used without deep analysis (and only in a given context) of the subject you apply them to.
I said what I feel and think of Jazz...

Jazz Trio

Contrabass - a woman's body
Drums - heartbeat
Piano - world of emotions

#33 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Jan 27 2004, 09:45 AM)
Koko be careful playing Jazz since Armen has the ability to hear you play three thousand miles away and forthermore to judge your level of playing as well. next time please Koko closed all the windows and make sure the door is closed as well. lol.gif

Armat, common man... That's not you're level of humor. Why use this lol.gif one. Don't you think it was something like this laugh.gif, this biggrin.gif , this smile.gif or even yawn.gif

#34 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:33 PM

Guys, what is the bid deal? Each one understand music, Jazz in this case, in his/her own way. There is no way I can explain or prove the validity of the way I perceive music. I wouldn't require any more of the others wink.gif

#35 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:45 PM

Can we just enjoy music for what it is without attaching Freudian reasons to it? Next thing you'll be telling me is that I'm gay because writing with a pen or pencil that is penis shaped makes you gay.

...And I'd hate to write with my fingers, I was never good at finger painting.

#36 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

The whole irony is that we apply Freudian reasons where we must not and we don't want to apply where we must.
If you get feelings from holding a pen in your hand I'm sure your doctor is going to become a Nobel prize winner.

#37 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Anonymouse @ Jan 27 2004, 08:45 PM)
Can we just enjoy music for what it is without attaching Freudian reasons to it? Next thing you'll be telling me is that I'm gay because writing with a pen or pencil that is penis shaped makes you gay.

...And I'd hate to write with my fingers, I was never good at finger painting.

Mouse that was the funniest thing I've read by you biggrin.gif Check Mate

#38 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:02 PM

Armen I hope you are taking this lightly:little rub it humor on your expense biggrin.gif

#39 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:06 PM

It's good to feel that it took two of you to beet me smile.gif Of course I take it lighly...

#40 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (ArmenSarg @ Jan 27 2004, 08:58 PM)
The whole irony is that we apply Freudian reasons where we must not and we don't want to apply where we must.
If you get feelings from holding a pen in your hand I'm sure your doctor is going to become a Nobel prize winner.

Well if you know all this, what are you doing on a forum? Go publish a book so I can read it while I'm having a bowel movement.

Regards. wink.gif

Edited by Anonymouse, 27 January 2004 - 09:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users